Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Has anyone tried EPO or other performance enhancing drugs?
  • pictonroad

I’ll look to see what’s in my bottom drawer for you. Celeste any good? Can’t hurt..

DrP

As long as it’s not a suppository I’m in.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Holland and Barrett sell it though I am unsure which size to get??

You joke, but the vet recommended that for your dog when steroids worked a bit too well and he went from arthritic 14 yr old spaniel to puppy overnight which was only ever going to result in something else giving way. We didn’t want him in pain, but we didn’t want him jumping 6ft gates either!

christhetall
    Free Member

I have heard reports that 80% of the pro peleton have either asthma or EIB.

That might be an exaggeration, but undoubtedly it’s far higher than usual, and not just cyclists, but swimmers and athletes (such as Pauls Radcliffe)

link

Not only do many only get symptoms when they exercise, but there is a theory that the training is actually causing the problem. And this seems to be the case with me, having developed EIA at the ripe old age of 48, which may have something to do with me doing a lot more cycling and running (especially in cold weather) over the last 4 years. My peak flow scores are shockingly low for someone of my size – little better than my wife who has been asthmatic all her life.

I’ve certainly noticed an improvement when I use Salbutomol, which apparently will have no effect if you don’t have asthma. I only take one or 2 puffs, not the 16 which I believe is the WADA limit !

Nonetheless, I suppose it is technically a PED !

pictonroad

Read that. I’ve changed my mind. 😳

ajantom

I’ve just gone back onto a Clenil Modulite (beclometasone) inhaler, as I was having to use my blue Salbutamol one too often. I’ve definitely noticed an improvement in my fitness recently, but that might just be because I can actually breath during a ride!

zero-cool
    Free Member

There was a good article in Outside Magazine (it’s online to read) where a keen amateur tried out a range of the main PEDs over the course of a year or so.

Was an interesting read, but basically it’s really expensive to buy these substances from a legit source where you’re likely to actually get the real drugs as opposed to water/sugar pills/olive oil/rat poison, etc.

But why bother? If you’re not competing you could just get fitter and train, eat, sleep better as there are plenty of bad side effects.

Tom KP

Here it is –

http://www.outsideonline.com/1924306/drug-test

scaredypants

just use it to annoy DrP on the hills

I went for a road ride with DrP once. He was on a ded heavy-looking fixie with full guards and wearing a rucksack

He’s definitely on the juice 😐

Haze

Didn’t think beclometasone was on the Wada list?

I know about the 1600mg rule for the blue inhaler but nothing for the brown…

ecampbell
    Free Member

Beclometasone is a glutocorticoid, so falls under that. However interestingly it isn’t included when inhaled.

Salbutamol will have an affect on people without asthma, just not at rest. People with “normal” lungs have such a large respiratory reserve when resting that it’s effects aren’t noticeable. Push them toward their limits and I suspect you’d see an improvement with salbutamol.

Interesting the hard scientific evidence for the majority of the drugs on the wada list having PE effect is scanty (mainly due to the ethicial issues in trying to study them!) The few studies done on steroids for example didn’t show any statistically significant benefit. Makes me wonder how much of it is placebo effect, with confidence and mentality such a big differentiator at top level sport, the idea of “this drug makes me faster” must have at least as big a placebo effect as physiological.

pictonroad

Just popped into the local head shop on the way back from an after work drink. (Also wanted to ask them how the new laws would affect business, they don’t sell ‘legal high’ powders because it attracts the wrong sort).

Asked them if they had anything that would improve athletic performance. Turns out even Amyl Nitrite which used to be used isn’t sold, now it’s butyl nitrite and unlikely to help…

chakaping
    Free Member

Strange, I can’t remember the last time I was breathing out my arse in a race and thought: “I could really do with a honk of poppers right now.”

ian martin
    Free Member

When I used to cycle with folk who were a lot fitter than me I’d take a couple of Ibuprofen and a can of redbull before and during the ride, i definitely felt quicker!

mcnultycop

Kumdang-2 apparently is the future, I’ve read today.

alpin
    Free Member

i’ve taken lots of drugs over the years…. some of them were performance enhncing, just not particularily relative to cycling… or what most people would consider sport.

njee20
    Free Member

That Guardian article is really interesting. Sod that.

Superficial
    Free Member

Strange, I can’t remember the last time I was breathing out my arse in a race and thought: “I could really do with a honk of poppers right now.”

😆

Northwind

TBH the biggest performance enhancement I’ve found recently, is imodium… Don’t know why but racing gives me the shits something awful 😆

showerman
    Free Member

i am finding morphine very good little bottle to use on the trail as well, not hiding it using in front of everyone so no need to go on tv with oprah and confess.

iolo
    Free Member

Do jelly babies count as performance enhancing drugs? If so I am guilty as charged. They work amazingly well.

DanW
    Free Member

Interesting the hard scientific evidence for the majority of the drugs on the wada list having PE effect is scanty

Performance enhancing effect can mean many things too, for example rapid weight loss, masking, etc.

Having a 4 month old in the house house been strangely performance enhancing. I think being so tired to not know what day it is has a stronger anaesthetic effect on the legs than the effect of general tiredness 😆

ratherbeintobago

i am finding morphine very good little bottle to use on the trail as well, not hiding it using in front of everyone so no need to go on tv with oprah and confess.

Opening morphine ampoules is enough of a PITA in the comfort of the anaesthetic room; I imagine opening them on the bike would be a lot more difficult.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Does cider count?

And to answer the question, apart from cider – it only “enhances performance” in my head.

Probably.

Does anybody feel like funding some research?

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone tried EPO or other performance enhancing drugs?’ is closed to new replies.