Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Has anyone squeezed a 650b into a Dialled PA?
  • Swayndo
    Free Member

For a while I’ve been toying with making a 96er out of an old mk1 PA frame I have. I bought a Hummingbird fork for it a while back, but have never gone any further with the project.

Now that my main HT will be laid up I’m looking to get the project going again. I’m interested to know if anyone has managed to get a 650b rim and tyre in the back of a PA as I think that may be pretty brilliant if it worked. Pics would be dead helpful if you have any.

LoCo
    Free Member

Should fit on the back with a lowish profile tyre such as a 2.25 Nobby nic, eyeing it up between a few of my bikes. (albert classic 2012/2013)

qwerty
    Free Member

Any pics of your 69’d PA with the Humming fork? I have a HB fork on its way to me to 69er my HJ.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Ain’t built it yet qwerty. Will do when I do tho.

LoCo … thanks for that. I think you are right, but if I do it I need to buy a 650b rim, tyre, spokes and build a wheel so I wanna be 100% sure before I splash the cash and go through the effort.

soobalias
    Free Member

whats the advantage of a 650b wheel with low profile tyre, compared to a 26″ wheel with a big tyre?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Been half thinking about the same with my Curtis S1 but TBH, I doubt I’d notice any real difference over 26″… certainly not enough to justify the cost.

br
    Free Member

whats the advantage of a 650b wheel with low profile tyre, compared to a 26″ wheel with a big tyre?

Should be lighter, but probably not much in it.

LoCo
    Free Member

650 is a 142, so can put it in the albert to double check I’m afraid, the 2.25 26″ fat albert on mavic 819 fits with quite a bit of clearance and isn’t a huge amount smaller so should be fine IMO.

Edit: And less tyre deflection too 😉

Swayndo
    Free Member

Ach, might give 96 a go first and see.

nuke

I’ve got one of the mk2 (520) PAs…after a bit of measuring, I thought a tyre would be clear of the seatstays bridge but it was too narrower for tyre clearance on the chainstays

rOcKeTdOg

69er with HB fork

thinking of trying a 27.5″ in the back for a 67er

RustySpanner

Why on earth would anyone want a heavier wheel and low profile tyre?

Swayndo
    Free Member

Found this.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

69ers… kill with fire!

Swayndo
    Free Member

Built the Frankenbike up yesterday (pics to follow). A knee injury prevented me from giving it more than a spin around the streets in the village, but it actually felt really good.

The only 26er tyres I had were Larsen 2.0s, but I’d forgotten how much space there is in the back. Used the Ardent on Flow from my Fireline up front and again there is bags of room. The frame/fork combo could definitely go semi skimmed.

It’s also geared for 29 as I took the gear off my 29er and despite having no suspension it’s heavier than the Fireline. Definitely think I’ll keep it as a 3rd bike even once I rebuild the Titus. May try Chunky Monkey 29/26 or some other inexpensive combo.

qwerty
    Free Member

Piiiiiiiiics…

qwerty
    Free Member

I guess what I really want to.see is 15.5″ frames 69er’d as that’s what mine will hopefully become.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Not quite recovered from a sore knee yet, but couldn’t resist it any longer. Did my standard Tour de Fracture of Evanton Wood tonight, which is typical woodsy fare … lots of short sharp ups and downs and dirt singletrack with roots and rocks.

The bike felt really nice actually … very stable and neutral and just really sorted. It climbed wonderfully and was better on the downs than it had any right to be. I’ve only stuck in what was available … an old Larsen 2.0 LUST and a 2.25 Ardent front, but even with those I’m going to give it a good going over. I can see me investing in some serious rubber … anyone know if Chunky Monkeys are bigger than HDs?

Minor criticisms … the 17″ frame was perfect for me as a suspended 26er, but now feels a tad small in 96er guise. I might look for a trade with someone for a 19″. The front end is slightly lower than I would have liked so I’ve got a daft riser stem on to find the right position. Wide bar ordered fro it from the CRC sale. Not much to criticise really … the bike’s a lot of fun.

qwerty
    Free Member

The front end is slightly lower than I would have liked

What travel suspension fork did you have as 26″?

Swayndo
    Free Member

130mm Z1 and 140mm Revelation.

qwerty
    Free Member

Hmmm, ok, cheers, I’m ditching a 140mm TALAS. My forks arrived, need to do some tweaking and get a wheel built…

Earl
    Free Member

Did you end up trying a 650b in the back?

Earl
    Free Member

Did you end up trying a 650b in the back?

Swayndo
    Free Member

Haven’t tried 650b. Don’t have a wheel ready. In inclined to think 2.35 HDs front and rear in 29/26 would be grand 🙂

Earl
    Free Member

I was wondering if a 650b actually fits in a PA as I’m looking for a frame to do the same with.

Swayndo
    Free Member

I’ve ordered 2.4 Chunky Monkeys for front and rear in 29/26. I’ll update once these and the big bar are on. Semi skimmed 96er?

A friend who has a shop has a 650b wheel for me to try, but it could be a while before I get to try it.

LoCo
    Free Member

will pull the end caps off the 650 rear and put it in the albert to check in mo.

LoCo
    Free Member

Shed loads of room on stays and braces with a 2.25 nobby nic on stans arch, the tyre is just rubbing the xt triple mech cage in granny though.
    Frame is a 2012 Albert classic 853.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Interesting Loco. Any chance you post a pic?

LoCo
    Free Member

photol by Loco Tuning, on Flickr

photok by Loco Tuning, on Flickr

photo (2) by Loco Tuning, on Flickr

Swayndo
    Free Member

Thanks Loco. I think the stay braces are different on my Mark 1, but I’ll give it a go when I can.

Swayndo
    Free Member

This is getting seriously sorted now. Version 1.2 has 2.4 Chunky Monkeys front and rear. The wide bar hasn’t arrived yet, but I’m thinking of sticking with the carbon 27″ bar on it … at least in the first instance.

It’s heavy … heavier than my 29er FS, but that’s irrelevant to me. The PA is the comfiest HT frame I’ve ridden and well worth the weight penalty. The tyres are really big and fairly heavy, but grip like sh1t and I’ll be able to run low pressures in them. This weekend I’ll be testing it out in Evanton Wood and on the Novar trails.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

PA looks good 69er! I like the odd wheels look.

Here’s my Inbred, normal inbred forks, 2.4 ardent front and 2.25 crossmark rear.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Would it be wrong to stick a dropper on it?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone squeezed a 650b into a Dialled PA?’ is closed to new replies.