Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Has anyone ordered lights from DealExtreme.com ?
  • majorupset
    Free Member

read some good reviews about these – but wondered if anyone has them.

how long did they take to arrive ?

were you charged import duty ?

are they any good ?

how do they compare with the big boys (exposure / hope / l&M etc…) ?

Cick here for the link

grassy ass

Stoner
    Free Member

never heard of them.

clubber
    Free Member

Me neither. link?

BoardinBob

What's deal extreme?

surfer
    Free Member

They seem a bargain!

majorupset
    Free Member

sorry – link now added to post:
    click here

MadPierre

Waiting for mine to arrive. 4 weeks is about the norm for delivery.

I have ordered mine having had a look at some of my mates and you won't get a better light for that kind of money.

Mine will just be a backup but last night I rode with 5 people who all have them. Alongside my L&M HID they looked a bit yellower and didn't have the focused spot mine has but they were just as bright and are plenty good enough for night riding for about 150 quid less than mine!

Stoner
    Free Member

sorry majorupset, we're all being terrible shits. Except Mad Pierre.

Deal Extreme lights have been much covered on the forum.

Search under:
    DX lights and Bastid lights for lots of threads and opinions/reviews/advice.

smartiekid
    Free Member

Mine took 14 days to arrive. Ordered on 1/11 and received 14/11.

No import or duty as they mark it as 'Gift' and put no value or invoice inside, plus it comes via the post. Don't have it sent EMS else that goes to Parcelforce who will stiff you for everything under the sun including their standard ransom fee of £8 (which is illegal for them to do) to release the parcel.

Also, if ordering from America for the DX light, it will be subject to the ParcelFarce crap. 😯

robinbetts
    Free Member

get them, best £50 i've spent <eom>

DezB
    Free Member

Ordered on 4/11 still not received 🙁

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Couple of questions on these.
    Is there any difference between the 2 on the website other than the head strap?
    Does any one use theres for dark commutes?

haddock
    Free Member

Smart or DX

Made a direct comparison with my Smart 35 (£45 from halfords) the DX was way way more powerful, looks a really good buy!

Pinkstiffee
    Free Member

As bright as my Exposure Maxx D but not as good a beam spread. For £50 they are AWESOME though, best value cycling accessory I have ever had the pleasure of seeing/using.

Seem to be taking 4 weeks to be delivered at the moment. Although that may be partly down to our postal strike…

Jamie
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Ordered on 4/11 still not received

Ordered 23/10 and still not received.

I win! 😐

…strangely i received the UK plug adapters i ordered at the same time over a week ago tho.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Ordered 26/10 & still awaiting. Have received the P7 torch & charger etc that I ordered at the same time. Main light saying ready for despatch on DX site. Come on hurry up!!!

Why are people getting them when they ordered later!!! Boo Hoo! 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I'm just pleased it's not for me. I hate waiting for stuff!

peachos
    Free Member

i used one last night for the first time as i had lost a bolt for the clamp on my Hope 2 LED's and i can say that despite having a brighter output (900 vs 480 lumens) they are nowhere near as good. the beam pattern is too focused so when you're riding down tight, twisty singletrack you lose visibility when your wheel's pointing one way and you're looking the other. never had this problem with my hopes. i suppose you could always buy two and stick one on your head to combat this.

i'm not saying they're crap lights, just that they're obviously not as well designed as 'proper' mtb light. still an absolute bargain like & if i hadn't anything to compare it against i'd probably be raving about it's greatness too…

grumm
    Free Member

You're comparing it to a light that cost maybe 8 times as much though. I would always use a helmet light anyway.

edit: oh sorry Hope 2 – only 3 times as much

AlteredCarbon
    Free Member

I wouldn't hold your breath if you need anything from DX quickly. I'm still waiting for parts of my order placed on the 25th September!

uphilla
    Free Member

Ordered mine on 19/10 arrived 17/11 – so about 4 weeks. Looks excellent vfm and very bright as others say, though of course you do not get the attention to detail, specially on mounting, as more expensive lights. Also no instructions – is the charger automatic as no indication of charging time???
    Anyone comment on runtime in the 2 constant modes?

daveb
    Free Member

Ordered a light from them 3 weeks ago and got it the other day, delivery seems to be anything from a couple of weeks to over a month.

Light seems very well made and excellent value for money.

IainAhh
    Free Member

I bought a a dx light for off road commuting a few months ago (bar mounted.)

I use it approx 30mins daily mostly on the low setting and the battery doesn't run out in a week.

Sure it took a couple of weeks to arrive but for £50 its a great value and very bright with a good spread.

I've been out in pouring rain and so far I can't fault it.
    Maybe it does not compare with a £200 set but I would not know, it works for me.

Sum
    Free Member

Anyone comment on runtime in the 2 constant modes?

I've got the claimed 3 hrs for the hi mode.

Matinmidiswa
    Free Member

ordered on 19th Oct, still no show:(

Northwind

I have a couple of P7 torches, one with a Turboferret battery pack, they're very good. Delivery for those was around 2-3 weeks each, with an order for extra batteries about the same. But these bike lights seem to give them nightmares, I don't think they carry stock of them so they're sloooow.

I keep saying the same thing, people go out and buy Newts and Joysticks and Ayups for hundreds of pounds, but if you compare the light output and effectiveness of these lights with any of those, you'd think it was the expensive light and they were the cheap option. They're all better made, possibly more reliable, certainly nicer to look at- but it's dark, you can't see 'em 😉 The only person I've ridden with me who can out-light me is a guy with a Seca 900, which has a little more output than either of my lights, but also kills them with its perfect beam pattern. But then it cost about 4 times as much as my 2 lights, and it's not better on the trail than my 2 (it'd be much better than one of mine, but not the pair)

Peachos wrote,

"i used one last night for the first time as i had lost a bolt for the clamp on my Hope 2 LED's and i can say that despite having a brighter output (900 vs 480 lumens) they are nowhere near as good. the beam pattern is too focused so when you're riding down tight, twisty singletrack you lose visibility when your wheel's pointing one way and you're looking the other. never had this problem with my hopes. i suppose you could always buy two and stick one on your head to combat this."

Yup, that's exactly what you should do. Are you riding with just a bar light? Not the best option with any light really… If you can only have one, put it on your noggin.

greasystain
    Free Member

Ordered mine on the 02/11 and as of last weekend it is now in the hands of the Hong Kong Post.

…..still waiting.

radoggair
    Free Member

have 2 now, head and bar. Originally had just a bar which was great for commuting but off road it couldn't see round corners ( neither can any light though). Purchased a helmet mounted one ( they are both the same light, one comes with a helmet strap though) and now off roading is as bright as it needs to be. For £100 for 2 lights its all you'll ever need for riding

windowshopper
    Free Member

Is there any difference between the 2 on the website other than the head strap?

I got the one with the head strap. The battery bag has a press-stud fastening and not the one shown (which you do get with the other version). The press-stud fastening is so narrow it won't fasten to the handlebars, presumably because it's designed to fasten to the head strap. However, for about a fiver I got a better bag from Lumicycle.

Does any one use theres for dark commutes?

Yes. I use the lower power setting on the road and the full power off road. The beam is quite floody but with a noticable spot in the middle. It's perfectly adequate for my commute but I might get another one to helmet mount for longer off-road use.

Crag
    Free Member

Ordered mine 25th sep, shipped 6th oct and still not here.
    Advice from dx is to sit tight and wait.
    As you can imagine, I am currently awaiting a refund.

brassneck

Going to use mine for a rural 15 mile commute.. a quick trial was very impressive. Took 4 weeks to arrive.

I already have a Nightlightning iBlaast II which is best used as a head torch – it's noticeably better, but the lamp along cost around 3 times more after I got stung for import duty. Don't regret getting it though.

If you have nothing, a DX will be a great introduction to night riding or commuting.

sohala
    Free Member

i got two p7 torches from dealextreme back in august, i paid £38 inc postage for the first, then about 2 weeks later i paid £26 for the second.
    i fix one to my helmet with cable ties and it works a treat, i was planning to attach the other one to my bars, but i honestly haven't needed to, one is more than enough.
    bear in mind, you'll need to get the batteries, charger, uk plug adapter etc. i got all these with my first purchase, all for £38.
    i do 2 night rides a week and these are easily on a par (if not better) than some of my riding buddies lights, hope, exposure joystick, lumicycle, ayups etc. and they paid over £150, or over £200 for the hopes!! 😯
    the batteries tend to last about 1 and 1/2 hours on high, but i carry spares with me just in case.
    i'm more than happy to use a couple of cable ties and revel in the fact that my "brighter" beam cost me about a quarter of the price paid by my mates! 😉

closeactionchris
    Free Member

Mine took 4 weeks to arrive.
    I already have Ayups but thought for another £50, it was worth a punt. I now use my Ayups (both units) on my helmet, and the DX on the bars. Awesome.

uphilla
    Free Member

Did anyone get instructions with their DX light set? Just wondered what the charging time is for battery pack….

nobtwidler
    Free Member

uphilla – mine didn't come with instructions but takes between 5-6 hours to charge from flat.
    Also it seems STIF are selling rebadged DX ones for £150

uphilla
    Free Member

Thanks nt – certainly worth waiting 4 weeks though

mrh86

ordered over 4 weeks ago and they still hadnt arrived, so thought i'd ring the post office. Turns out they have been returned to dx as apparently a note was put through my door over 2 weeks ago saying that delivery had been attempted. This has happened with a few things now. Royal mail: when it works, it works and when it doesnt, they dont half **** up

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Got two of em now (bar and head) and can't fault 'em for the money.
    I got two of the bar mount version and bought this to mount on lid.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000
    Really firm mounting with a bit of "give" in the rubber block for when you inevitably clonk it on a low branch 😳

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone ordered lights from DealExtreme.com ?’ is closed to new replies.