Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Has anyone made their own kids swing set?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

How deep would you need to set the footings of the frame? And what length posts would be required?

I imagine 10ft might not be long enough, so 12ft x 100/150mm round posts for the uprights, and maybe 10ft 6×2 for the spar? I’ll get coachbolts, links and chain from a chandler, and make seats from scaffold boards.

Any thoughts? Postcrete the footings in 18″ deep?

ahwiles
    Free Member

My Grandad made us a swing, 30… something years ago…

It was quite simply the best swing ever made, the secret was it’s height. We were convinced it was roughly double the height of any other swing.

In truth, it was probably less dramatic than that. But bigger is definitely better.

infidel
    Free Member

I have. I used square posts and premade angles like these – This

10 foot posts. Spirafix ground anchors to hold the thing to the ground: This

I used marine grade a2 and a4 stainless coach bolts for the fittings.

Swing is still going strong 4 years down the line. It’s coped with drunk adults on it too!!

bamboo
    Free Member

Bookmarked

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Have you got any photos? What thickness posts did you use? I guess a 10ft post would be fine if you’re using ground anchors, 12ft if burying the posts. I’d rather not spend £50 on ground anchors, £70 on brackets etc though.

infidel – Member
    I have. I used square posts and premade angles like these – This

10 foot posts. Spirafix ground anchors to hold the thing to the ground: This

I used marine grade a2 and a4 stainless coach bolts for the fittings.

Swing is still going strong 4 years down the line. It’s coped with drunk adults on it too!!

POSTED 39 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

ads678

This is mine:

I used the same brackets as above but you can get Round ones as well like these http://www.atkinsonsfencing.co.uk/products/modules/oblique-round/

Think mine are 100mm square timbers, and they are not actually fixed into the ground as they go under the sleepers, so the forces are pushing through there. It’s been up for 3 1/2 years now and is not going any where soon.

If I was building it in the middle of a lawn I’d probably concrete them in though.

finishthat
    Free Member

We got one of these – been in 6 years and its very popular/sturdy .
    round poles are nice.
    http://www.activetoy.co.uk/products/tp-double-round-wood-swing-frame.aspx

good info about dimensions in description/diagrams + advise

infidel
    Free Member

Sorry, been at work. I’ll take a pic in the morning for you. I’m sure I over-engineered the solution but that’s my nature!! The posts were 100mm but I had the plane them at the brackets as they were 90mm. I bought the seat on the bay – it’s an ex council style toddler seat, again overkill!

Yes the spirafix anchors are spendy but they are the business and the swing has not shifted despite high stress adult use.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’d be happier if 100mm posts suffice as they’re much cheaper and easier to get. I can’t help thinking a 10ft wide span at the top would bend/wobble if it’s only 100mm though? That’s my thinking behind a piece of rafter at 150×50 or so.

infidel
    Free Member

Dan – sorry no pic. Mad day, not helped by almost killing my wife’s laptop while trying to speed it up for her. I’ll sort pucs

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Hey don’t apologise… You’re not obliged to go out and get pics for some forum random!

I’m getting a better image of what I think will work anyway. Found a supplier who can do long posts and a 6×3″ spar. Just trying to figure out how it’s all going to bolt together.

infidel
    Free Member

Here we are. It’s looking a little bit sad after another winter but is still solid. The reason I went with the pre-made corner things was exactly the reason you describe above; I couldn’t work out a way to join the timbers and not risk my kids lives (!). I am sure that there are people out there (McMoonter et al …) who’d do something amazeballz with dovetails and routers but thats not my skillset. Come to think of it, I’m not sure what is!

I’m going to replace the swing seat this year with one of those crows nest type seats so both kids can swing together. I will give you two warnings:

1. If you have more than one child and only one swing prepare for arguments.
    2.Get ready to push a swing. A lot. A. Lot.

!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

🙂 Yes I’m really keen to have a double swing frame, and just wondering if a long 100mm spar will be strong enough. I guess if I do the crossed posts with the spar resting across them and 100mm isn’t enough I can easily unbolt it and bolt on a bigger one after tracking one down.

The other thing, that I suppose the corner brackets you’ve used sort of address (but not completely) is side-side movement. Without burying the posts in the ground I can’t see how any structure is sturdy enough without some cross bracing (which would get in the way of the chains if the frame isn’t wide enough). The corner brackets will kind of stop that side-side but it must still rock that way when the kids start to experiment with trying to make the thing fall down.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone made their own kids swing set?’ is closed to new replies.