Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Has anyone made their own bike trailer?
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Thinking about constructing a luggage trailer for to carry stuffs around. Rucksack and/or rack + panniers in’t always adequate. Will need it to be big enough to carry a dismantled bike, but not too massive.

Yes I know you can buy them ready-made but a) they’re very expensive, and b) where’s the fun in that? I’d much rather make me own.

So, anyone made a trailer? Adapted/bodged something? Someone on here mustuv done.

What sort of attachment to a bike? How to address problems like turning, hub fixings and that?

Ideally it would be made from old salvaged/scavenged bits. Cheap as poss!

Oh, and I don’t have welding/workshop.engineering/CNC facilities, so it’ll have to be quite simple and basic.

And ideas/pics most welcome.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Buy a cheap baby trailer and use that

clareymorris

Elf my friand GavGas made one for me for my birthday …I don’t think it was particulary cheap but it is ace……….yet to try it out in anger!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Buy a cheap baby trailer and use that

But where’s the fun in that? 🙁

Elf my friand GavGas made one for me for my birthday

Oooh….. 😮

Can I marry you please?

(Consults solicitor about possibility of drawing up a pre-nup with clause that means in the event of divorce, I get the trailer…)

Any more wondrousness?

Andy

Is this so you can traverse your singlespeed across London without having to maintain 240 rpm to get away from the traffic lights 😈

trout
    Free Member

We made this one from an old fridge used it to carry beer in a sponsored ride .

can let you have plans for it if you want

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have some 8 inch pram wheels from a landrover pram if you want can post them to you for cost

project
    Free Member

Used plastic bmx wheels, thats what i had on my trailer, post mount hitch is superior to axle hitch as you can use the hitch handle as a a pull push handle for when not attached to the bike, use a length of indusrial hydrulic hose for the coupling i used 2 exhaust brackets to join them to the bike, the hose allows flexibility and twisting and allows the bike to tilt, or the trailer to tilt without pulling you off.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is this so you can traverse your singlespeed across London without having to maintain 240 rpm to get away from the traffic lights

No, it’s cos I’m jealous of your vayn, but can’t drive and coon’t afford one anyway.

Clicky pic for more madness.

Loving it Troutie, loving it…

Nice offer, Junky, but I think I’ll need bigger wheels really. I’ll bear them in mind though…

coastkid
    Free Member

Edinburgh Co-op bike trailers look good value, find a second hand one?
    I adapted a BOB Yak trailer to take a 4″ balloon tyre Kite buggy wheel for hauling driftwood off the beach,
    It`s now a “Fat Bob” trailer 😀
    free heating this winter 😮

12,4,11 016 by coastkid71, on Flickr

clareymorris

Coastkid that is AWESOME!!!!

CHB

I always fancied hooking up a trailer rear wheel to bushless e-bike motor and putting the batteries in the trailer.
    With a long and quick coupling controler you could still control the throttle from the handlebars.
    It would be either great fun or great danger. Will build one one day!

Andy

He he I’m loving that little caravan

paul4stones

I made this one by welding together bits of an old roof rack. It works ok but tends to snake a bit at speed when loaded. Probably the connection to the bike could be improved.

I’ve just spent £75 on one of these from ebay:

Here

It’s clearly a Bob/Edinburgh Bike rip off but seems to work well and is an absolute bargain. Not sure you could carry a bike on it but with some mods and imaginative packing, maybe. We’ve rescued a scrap bike frame from the local river in it.

Kunstler

That’s brilliant Coastkid. And a very good suggestion elf. They are great trailers and not that expensive.

Yesterday I carried twice the weight of a bike for a good distance on my cargo trailer.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

elf – diybike trailers are a stable of the ecohippygeek Goggle gives loads of stuff

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~armb/cycling/trailer.html

atlaz
    Free Member

elf – My mate built a chopper and a trailer to go with it. He might be up for building custom orders, can ask if you want

saintbridge72
    Free Member

Made one similar to paul4stones. Using left over titanium tubing from where I work sshhh. Welded the tubes together and used a bmx wheel. I also had a problem coupling it to the bike. I also made some tri-bars, but that was not a great succsess.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone made their own bike trailer?’ is closed to new replies.