Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Has anyone machined an adaptor to take a QR hub to 20mm through-axle?
  • BlobOnAStick

Hi,

I have a Hope XC hub which has years of life left in it, but I will soon have a 20mm bolt-through fork.

It’s a shame to dispose of the hub and I was wondering if anyone had home-brewed an axle that fits it all together? If so, photos please!

Ben

Craggyjim
    Free Member

I don’t think you can do it. The bearings are not large enough to take a 20mm axle. I think you’d have to machine an adapter to fit over each side of the existing QR axle, but then you have the problem of how to get the hub mounted in the fork, pre-loading and clamping.

I wouldn’t bother personally.

…just checked, a 6001 bearing has a 12mm internal diameter.

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/XCFrontHubExploded.pdf

http://www.bearingshopuk.co.uk/6001-2rs-2584-p.asp

chillidave
    Free Member

Actually I remember when I was in a similar situation a year or so ago someone had machined just the thing you’re looking for. Some aluminium ‘wedges’ you could place in the forks drop outs with a 9mm diameter, the you could just use a rear qr to clamp it in place.

I know some chap was selling them but I’ve just googled and can’t find it easily. Might be worth a search though.

CrispyCSW

Ben, in case you check this before you check your mail, could you send me your address to send the Forks to!

Cheers

rocketman
    Free Member

Some aluminium ‘wedges’ you could place in the forks drop outs with a 9mm diameter, the you could just use a rear qr to clamp it in place

I have some Society jump forks that come with 20-9 adaptors like this.

Might be worth contacting Ison Distribution to see if they sell them as spares.

RustyMac

If the hope XC hub uses a 6001 bearing then it will not be possible as they only have a 28mm OD and you don’t get bearings with a 20mm ID and 28mm OD.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

These?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Society-Xeno-QR-Adaptors-/200819130068
    Look ok but I guess your new forks may not have the Grub screws to keep them in place (If they are required when it’s all tightened up)

cookeaa

I could be wrong but didn’t “Society” forks come as 20mm with a pair of QR to 20mm adaptors included, seems a stupid idea, but I think the logic was to allow anyone buying the forks who currently had a QR only hub to get up and running straight away rather than have to buy a new hub as well, which is quite helpful when you think about it…

Dunno if they are still being imported and/or if the adaptors are available separately…

rocketman
    Free Member

Look ok but I guess your new forks may not have the Grub screws to keep them in place (If they are required when it’s all tightened up)

Good point.

They work by having a conventional QR skewer that screws into a captive QR nut. The nut is kept captive by a tab that locates in the adaptor which in turn is held in place by…the grub screw

As you were 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

hmm….thinking out of the box….maybe you could put the bearings outside the hub? Which brings me to and idea I had…

BlobOnAStick

Wow. Thanks for the responses folks!

I knew that the 6001RS bearings would limit things, but I figured that turning up some plugs that sit either side of the axle and were held in place by a rear QR skewer might do the trick, even if it were a little flexy compared to the full solution. I just wondered if anyone had made their own.

I might have a tinker……

Ben

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone machined an adaptor to take a QR hub to 20mm through-axle?’ is closed to new replies.