Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Has anyone had to have the ‘driving’ conversation with an elderly parent?
  • Premier Icon reluctantjumper
    Subscriber

@cinnamon_girl it’s more complicated than just depression and an underactive thyroid, she’s a bipolar insomniac with other stuff thrown into the mix too. She copes well with the help of meds but sometimes she’s impossible to deal with. The breakthrough was her recognising the times she’s being difficult to deal with and her reacting accordingly, we have a code word we can tell her that she knows means she’s in one of her ‘moods’. This works really well and she’s very good at phoning either me or my sister if she has any trouble when she’s out and about. We have a really good GP looking after her and my dad who makes things as easy as he possibly can, without him we’d be screwed!

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

We fudged it. My dad had an ICD (pacemaker with shocker) fitted ten years ago, you get a six month driving break from fitting, this was ok. When you’ve had a shock from it it’s an automatic repeat of six months and you get your license back. He had a defib shock about 18 months ago so was told to stop. I bought and delivered a 6mph scooter the same week, it has a 15 mile range but is still small enough to drive round inside most shops so he could do most of his local trips in it no bother. We set up grocery delivery and ran it for him so it was no faff, then when he was cleared by the docs to drive again (didn’t seem safe to us) his car was mysteriously beset with dead batteries, failed HT lead, punctures coming from nowhere. Overall cut him from several car journeys a day, to a couple a month. To be fair, he was capable of rousing himself and concentrating well for half an hour or so at a time, but eyesight and reaction time made him give it up unofficially a while back.

Viewing 2 posts - 41 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.