Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Has anyone had their SLX (or any other new shimano) brake leak at the lever?
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

I have a set of shimano SLX lever zee caliper brakes and for some reason the back level leaks. It keeps leaking at the lever and then taking in air.

It seems to be coming from under the big cap (the one that usually says slx/xt/zee or whatever) so you have this plastic cap, then the metal plate, then the sort of plastic/rubber insert before you actually get to the reservoir and fluid. It seems to be that the liquid is coming out at the point but when I take it apart it all looks totally fine, no wear, no breakages, all seated nicely yet it still leaks.

anyone had the same? and can you replace only the internals of the lever or is it new brake time? I think that it is also leaking at the caliper at one of the (4) pistons as it may be cracked.. 🙁

_tom_
    Free Member

Mine leaked at both ends, swapped for Elixir 3’s and no problems with those since. I don’t like the feel of Shimano brakes either, skinny levers.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

No I havemt. Not trying to be obnoxious but pointing out it shouldn’t be happening and hopefully doesn’t too often. Time to take them back?

I recently swapped HOPE Tech X2 for XT and am in love with the brakes.

kayak23

I’ve had leaks at the lever (XT’s) when I’ve slightly overfilled the brakes. Pushing the pads out a little to accommodate the disc has made the excess overflow.

I’ve noticed it on occasion in use, but it’s probably for the same reason and perhaps due to the oil expanding.

I have them set up great now though. Very firm and no leaks…

No spares with Shimano. Got to buy new lever or caliper I think.

Northwind

Should Zee not still be within warranty? Not that old a product.

parling
    Free Member

Had Zee for 2 alps trips almost ruined both trips. Swapped both levers air still gets in after a bleed there perfect then halfway through the day lever comes to handlebar and I hit a tree. Hope will be finding their way onto my bike.

Northwind

Some people don’t need any help to ride into trees!

br
    Free Member

You can buy the master cylinder and lever from CRC, just over 20 quid.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I had this with my rear SLX brake but found I’d not tightened the hose into the lever enough after cutting it. I tightened it up and it’s not leaked since.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

It could be a case of overfilling as mentioned above, It isn’t the hose as I checked that and definitely noticed it coming out of the cap. I think I will give it one more good bleed and see how it goes then consider a new brake…

I bought them second hand so unfortunately warranty isn’t an option 🙁

kayak23

I think I will give it one more good bleed and see how it goes then consider a new brake…

If it’s the lever, you can get a whole new lever for a little over £20. Don’t need to replace entire system.

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

There is supposedly some kind of pressure relief system where you’ve described. If the system is overfilled with brake fluid it will seep out until the pressure has normalised again. Once it has it should stop leaking – unless something else is amiss.

rocketman
    Free Member

My Deores weeped for several rides from new after shortening the hoses and bleeding the brakes. There was a definite mist around the levers dust was sticking to them but the brakes worked OK. After tying them to the bars with elastic bands overnight the levers were still firm.

Maybe it was the pressure relief system mentioned above

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone had their SLX (or any other new shimano) brake leak at the lever?’ is closed to new replies.