Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Has anyone got a Welsh Terrier?
  • franksinatra

After years of being ‘anti dog’, Mrs Sinatra fell for a welsh terrier that we met this weekend. She has now given me the go ahead to look into getting one.

Have any fellow STWers got one? I’m after thoughts, opinions etc.

The dog needs to tick the following boxes:
    Get on well with young kids, be patient to their ‘games’
    Tag along on runs and bike rides
    Happy living in kennel with regular excursions into the house
    Will be left for part of most days (no more than 1/2 day at a time) needs to not bark to place down.

Do Welshies fit the bill?

franksinatra

anyone?

franksinatra

Bump – for the morning crowd

thecrackfox
    Free Member

I know nothing about them but I find this website is pretty reliable.

Good luck from another one of the STW Border Terrier Club

null

franksinatra

Thanks Crackfox

anagallis_arvensis

No idea about Welsh Terriers tbh, but a lot of dogs are what you make them with training, there’s no reason why any dog couldnt fit your bill really. The key is time and effort though.

momentum
    Free Member

I’ve got a Lakeland, which is a very similar breed, and she would fit all your criteria. However, she’d also fit some others like having highly selective deafness, a strong independent streak, and a fondness for rolling in poo. Guess that a lot of Welshies will share those as well…

stoat

^ what momentum said, I don’t own one but know a friend with one. Belting little dog-but a true terrier!

momentum
    Free Member

I probably should have said that our dog is totally awesome – big dog character in a small package. All terriers have a stubborn streak, but ours has none of the snappiness some breeds have and completely loves children, people and other dogs.

sutty
    Free Member

I have two american akitas simply just too protect all my bikes 😀 ! not really but they do help & just because they love their walks over the local moorland. previously i’ve anyways had terriers & welsh terriers or their larger cousins airedale terriers make cracking family dogs ! i know a local one called Alfie, the electrian where i used to work had one & even at the villa in spain their a airedale “bandana clad” terrier owned by a german couple & they all catch my eye & heart lol ! i’ve always loved my jack russells, welshes & patadales & you can’t beat the characters of them terriers ! just keep away from the westies & the yorkshire terriers since they think they can take on my two akitas which just look on at them in dis-belief 😆

tomcrow99

l’ve got an airedale which is just a big welsh. He would tick all your boxes. He is amazing with my 2 kids and a great companion. He can’t do the distances he used to but i’d get another in a heartbeat. In fact we’d maybe get a welsh or lakeland as 30kg of terrier can be a bit much sometimes!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone got a Welsh Terrier?’ is closed to new replies.