Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Has anyone fitted the new Fox SKF low friction wipers to a RS fork?
  • BadlyWiredDog

Just wondering if anyone’s fitted the new SKF-made Fox low-friction wiper seals to a Rockshox fork? If so, did they fit and did you notice any appreciable difference in performance?

Just about to do a quick overhaul on some Revs and it’s maybe an option.

z1ppy

I know J-Tech suspension give you the option to fit SKF seals to RS an other makes of fork. I’d think using the specific seal they recomend, rather then one made for another fork (may well be exactly the same for all I know) is the best option…

BadlyWiredDog

I might just give it a go and see if they fit. I can always sell them to a Fox owner if they don’t fit. Watch this space I guess.

unusualbread
    Free Member

Any update on how this worked out? I dont see why it would not

LoCo
    Free Member

J Tech don’t offer this service, the key/index is for each table on the prices page 😉

Pretty sure they don’t fit as have looked at this a while ago. But will check in a minute as have a set of RS forks to do, the dimension of the recess of the lowers of the forks differes in diameter from memory.

BadlyWiredDog

Not saying until the LoCo man gives his verdict. Place yer bets… 😮

LoCo
    Free Member

Well, they (Fox /SKF seals) fit in a set of 09 Revelation lowers fine, however they are a little looser on the stantion, try it and see if you like don’t blame me if you end up covered in oil 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You could always try enduro seals for a similar effect? Supposedly stiffer, but better made so the seal doesn’t need to push on the stanchion so much to seal.

LoCo
    Free Member

Not really a huge fan of the Enduro seals, the Rockshox standard ones seem to do the job well enough for less money and with less static friction too.
    The new Fox seals, it could be argued, have made the fox enduro seals obsolete as well. Maybe 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that the enduro seals contributed to the premature death of my elderly For 125Rs.

Like Loco Says, the RS seals are pretty damn good.

matt_outandabout

The new low friction seals on my Fox F120’s are spiffingly good and made a noticeable difference.

retro83
    Free Member

Interested to know the outcome of this BWD.

I prefer Enduros to the RockShox seals, the oil looks brand new when it comes out unlike the OE ones. Not sure if that’s because of the wiper, or because it has a proper oil seal like Marzocchis (and rockshox used to once upon a time).

I personally can’t notice any more static friction compared to OE. i know the older design had more friction than OE though (design was revised a while back)

unusualbread
    Free Member

So i fitted the SKF seals to my revelation and it works just fine. The seals stay in place and are doing a great job of keeping the oil in and seem to be keeping dirt out. The reduction in stiction is more subtle than the difference it makes on the fox forks but im pretty happy with them overall.

BadlyWiredDog

Missed this. I’ve been running a set of the SKF seals on some Revs since, erm, November last year. They’ve been ridden a far bit, Morocco and the Peak mostly, and they seem to work just fine. Stay in place, don’t leak oil that I can see, and they’re nice and plush, though as above, it’s a subtle difference from stock RS seals. I ought to change the lubricating oil in the lowers some time soon, so will let you know if a mix of grit and slime comes out.

I’m not saying LoCo’s wrong mind, just that for me they’ve worked, but the improvement over the stock seals isn’t massive.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone fitted the new Fox SKF low friction wipers to a RS fork?’ is closed to new replies.