Has anyone ever suffocated inside a bivi bag?

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Has anyone ever suffocated inside a bivi bag?
  • mattsccm

“You wouldn’t be able to breathe through a sealed goretex bivy.”
    Living proof, typing away, that you can. Of course all bags have a zip and no one is pretending that it’s fresh mountain air in there.

crankboy

I am pretty sure that when I was a teenager two boy scouts died in homemade bivi bags . made from two bin liners and gaffer tape.
    I used the thick plastic orange one no way you could close the end or mold it over your face to form a seal that would suffocate you.

Premier Icon dudeofdoom
    Subscriber

Bound to be someone whose managed it…
    (might be wiv a beer or two dozen… thou)

Personally cant think of anything worse than boil in a bag….
    Id tarp it if I was doing ultralight (or hennsey hammock).

condensations a bitch 🙂

thecaptain

In a word, no, it’s an obvious urban myth. Like the old story about the person who dreams they are on the guillotine, and has a heart attack when someone taps them on the neck to wake them up.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

.. bivi bags . made from two bin liners and gaffer tape.

I think they were still bin liners, rather than your actual bivi bags. That might’ve been their problem.

MrNutt

that bloke from INXS?

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Paula tried to get him to go camping, but he wasn’t the outdoor type.

konabunny

maybe the people are still in the bags and decomposing in remote forest spots. All the decomposition gases would make the bag expand and it would be a like a decomp human ravioli.

don’t be silly. the gases would mean the bag would take off like a kid’s balloon and float away. corpse-filled bivvy bags aren’t constantly dropping from the sky ergo it is safe to sleep in them QED. simple science.

nick1962

Never mind air can you get a good Wi-Fi signal inside a sealed bivi bag?

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I think they were still bin liners, rather than your actual bivi bags. That might’ve been their problem.

😆 Well put!

fourbanger

“You wouldn’t be able to breathe through a sealed goretex bivy.”
    Living proof, typing away, that you can. Of course all bags have a zip and no one is pretending that it’s fresh mountain air in there.

Key word here mattsccm is “sealed”. I’m prepared to bet your life you couldn’t breath through a sealed goretex membrane.

mikewsmith

Never worried mine has a hoop and a mesh door, never did it right up as condensation was a problem. I once tried to sleep in one of those bag ones, death may have occurred if I’d actually managed to sleep.

mikewsmith

Double post from the dead

TooTall

Double post from the undead

FTFY

mattsccm

Surely that wasn’t the question? It would be impossible to seal a gortex bag as you would never get one, with a iive body onto the work bench with a seam sealeing machine. You have to have a zip.
    I am assuming that in the contxt of the question sealed means zipped up.
    And as I have said the amount of air passing through the fabric plus the fully zipped up zip is enough to keep you alive. I have done it several times.

CountZero

facebook is a conspiriousy theorists most powerful tool – the idiotic masses will believe anything written on there.

Oh, so very, very true; I have a lot of fun shooting bloody great holes in the theories.

andyl – Member
    maybe the people are still in the bags and decomposing in remote forest spots. All the decomposition gases would make the bag expand and it would be a like a decomp human ravioli.

Ooooo! Soup mummies! Yummy!

martinxyz

I’ll fully zip up my Rab Storm and leave the mesh panel at the zip visible for only a few inches to keep the midges out but on every use I’ll find throughout the night that I just need to open it and get some fresh air. The last time I used it I woke up,couldn’t unzip it and got a bit panicky! Most times feeling like I’m suffocating. Probably best sleeping with a midge net on!

MSP

I understand they are a very popular accessory for tory mp’s, so there might be some element of truth to the facebook scaremongering.

I’ve had some pretty weird dreams in mine. Used to put it down to sleeping in churchyards but maybe I was slowly suffocating!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone ever suffocated inside a bivi bag?’ is closed to new replies.