Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Has anyone ever put a cat c car back on the road?
  • glacier79
    Free Member

Evening all, I had my golf tdi written off a couple of weeks back and it has now been classed as a category c write off. Now this has only come about as the repairs (broken rear screen & cracked bumper) necessary would cost too much to repair in relation to its value (02 reg). All the damage is superficial and mechanically it has been really well looked after so I have the following question. How would I go about getting it back on the road and insured, taxed etc? If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

parkesie
    Free Member

Used to need a vic and mot

Dvsa site

singletrackmind

Post in the ‘ Chat ‘ section for staters.

I bought a Golf that was a write off. When applying for the Tax disc I had to take the car for a VIC ( Vehicle Identification Check ) check . The bods took the car away into an industrial unit out of sight . I guess they match the hidden VINS and engine no’s etc to verify the identity to see if its a cut and shut .

A few days later a cert arrived declaring the car all above board.

TheFlyingOx

What you have to ask yourself is can you get it fixed for less than it would cost to buy a similar car. That’s what Cat C is: repair costs more than the value of the car.

If you want to repair it, do so, and then it just needs a VIC which costs £41. See here: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-identity-check/vic-test-fees

thomthumb
    Free Member

yep, same car,twice. be aware if you don’t fix it all (including scratches) you won’t get paid a for the car a second time.

Insurance should be no different, agreed value will go down – anything paid out (see above) will be down.

VIC check takes 10 mins.

Car actually got written off three times in 18 months. first time needed tracking, second time had a dent (which i didn’t fix), third time was properly spannered.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone ever put a cat c car back on the road?’ is closed to new replies.