Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Has anyone else managed to break a G-Shock?
  • binners

Or am I just incredibly destructive?

My latest one is a couple of years old. I went to set the time on it last weekend when the hour went forward and it just went bananas. It seems to randomly select a time and set its hands to that. When you try again it selects a different random time.

Anyone else had something similar? Or broken one? Can you get them fixed? I quite like it, but it would help if it told the right time.

i’d always assumed they were indestructible, and after a nuclear holocaust all that would remain are cockroaches and G-Shocks

Yak

Straps mostly. The bulk of them makes it easy to catch on something and they rip off. The lower profile of a F-91 was usually better.

Ewan
    Free Member

I smashed one by dropping it 25m onto a rock whilst climbing. Smashed the screen but the beep still worked .

chipster

Mine’s about 2 years old, it’s still keeping time, but it’s been making water for at least 12 months. It’s only noticeable in cool temperatures, when the glass fogs up.

I may as well have just got one of those cheaper Casios. 🤔

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not yet, mines 11 years old.

a couple of tiny springs fell out when I changed the battery, they must be glued under the lid for ‘spares’ because it doesn’t seem to have effected it.

Youngest left it on a radiator the other week to dry it for me when I left it on the floor of the shower. Killed the display but it slowly healed up over a few days.

Its completely battered to look at, but simplely won’t die.

carlosg
    Free Member

Not so far , its the only watch I’ve had in the last 20 years that’s lasted more than 18 months(currently 5 years old)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Straps for me .

Then it went for a battery change and never worked Again.

Bought a new one. Gave it away

Been using f91s since.

jim25

Mine consistently displays the wrong day, always 1 day behind. Have tried many resets but after a few days it always readjusts to doing the same.

sbob
    Free Member

G shocks are just cheap digital watches. Not sure why people hold them in high regard.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yes, after about 12 years of use. G-Shock Mudman 9000. Will probably get another but new G-Shock look a bit plastiky these days and too bright / gaudy. Some are pretty hard to read too.

funkmasterp

I had one for nine years and then managed to destroy it over a six month period. Started with glass getting foggy, then strap broke (not completely) and finally cracked the screen!

I’d have one again though as it’s the watch that’s lasted the longest out of all the ones I’ve ever owned.

G shocks are just cheap digital watches. Not sure why people hold them in high regard.

Because they are basically the Tonka truck of the watch world. I know most STW members have watches that cost more than the GDP of some small nations, but a G-Shock ain’t cheap in my house.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

When I was 16 I received  a G Shock as a present. I told all my friends it was indestructible , so we of course tried to break it.  We broke it.

simon_g

Tore off a strap when I crashed my bike, pin pulled through the plastic case. Casio UK replaced the case for me for about £30.

P-Jay
    Free Member

They do do what they’re meant to do, reliably, cheaply and without pomp.

They are the anti-Rolex and that’s why I like ‘em.

bsims
    Free Member

G shocks are just cheap digital watches

https://www.chisholmhunter.co.uk/casio-g-shock-black-strap-and-black-dial-watWelcome.ch.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_LSTtfmV2gIVzL3tCh3WIAtTEAQYASABEgKBbfD_BwE

!

hope the link works – i havent got the hang of pictures yet.

I always thought they were a decent product that people held in high regard, never heard anyone say different. I’ve not owned one to attemp a breakage though.

user-removed
    Free Member

“It seems to randomly select a time and set its hands to that”  Mine did that when I tried to reset it after a battery change.  I had to youtube a few tutorials about resetting the hands and eventually it worked again.

But yes, it’s a bit broken as it’s no longer properly waterproof and steams up inside sometimes – tried shifting the O-ring about a few times but no joy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

after a nuclear holocaust all that would remain are cockroaches and G-Shocks

And W123 Mercedes and Keith Richards.

I tried to kill mine. I tried hard. Smashed in to rocks, bashed against booms, it just seemed impervious to any damage at all. Battery eventually ran out after 10+ years (if indeed it was a battery and not some fairy magic) and I’ve just never got around to replacing it.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got a 22 year old one that I can’t kill. My 10 year old analogue one has been abandoned though as it is just too difficult to set and the display is that cluttered that I can no longer read it with my aging eyes.

DrJ

The plastic casing peeled away but the watch never actually broke. Bit annoying as there’s no excuse to but a new fancier looking one 🙁

binners

Cheap digital watches? From memory I think was 120 quid which I don’t personally class as cheap. It’s not like it was a tenner off the market.

Oh well… this is STW and everything is relative. Maybe I should have gone for the more Audi aproach….

Man’s luxury watch successfully impresses fellow ****

Anyway. Thanks for the comments. I’ll check out some YouTube stuff and see if I can get it behaving itself again. The digital readout is telling the right time. It’s the hands that won’t. Weird

gauss1777
    Free Member

My latest one is a couple of years old.

I presume you’ve checked the battery?

hugo
    Free Member

Maybe I should have gone for the more Audi aproach….

Nah, you’ve got it right.  Once one is going three figures for a digital watch that’s going to see some action it becomes a bit pointless.  A £150 watch isn’t going to outlast a £15 one 10 times over!

F108WHC-7ACF   for the win.

binners

Battery is fine. Everything is working fine apart from the seemingly random time selection for the hands.

I’m  thinking It’s been possessed by the ghost of Mark E Smith

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve had an MTG 1000 I think it is for quite a while now and battered it on site and DIY and biking, no issues yet but the case is starting to show some battlemarks.

taxi25
    Free Member

Well the battery on my g shock has finally given up the ghost (10yrs) I’m kinda pleased as I’ve never really liked it’s over complicated face and never being able to turn of the 12pm alert beeb 😬. Not going to fit a new battery so going to get something new. Any recommendations, luminox maybe ?

martymac

‘Cheap digital watch’

have you seen the price of some of them?😳😳😳

derek_starship
    Free Member

I bought this DW900 in 1994 from H. Samuels in Morecambe (don’t ask).

It didn’t die – I sold it last year. I never really liked it as it had no backlight.

ross980
    Free Member

This is like mine. No idea how long I’ve had it (8-10 years at a guess) I remember it was about £65 and now is about £90 –  No battery to change, no need to ever set the time. It’s ugly/retro (or both) depending on your pov. It’s on an after market strap now (which I don’t like) after the original started splitting. I only wear it for biking/DIY/Swimming etc. now. Despite being left in a drawer when not used the power indicator has never dropped below medium.

nickdavies

A couple of tiny springs fell out when I changed the battery, they must be glued under the lid for ‘spares’ because it doesn’t seem to have effected it.

You don’t use the alarm then..?

Binners pop pop the back off and there will be a hole with a contact marked AC. Short that to the + side of the battery with tweezers or something suitable, then you’ll have to reset it all, should fix it though.

hugo
    Free Member

Or one of these for c. £20…

Doesn’t say Audi, sorry G-Shock, on it though

/remove tongue from cheek.

ross980
    Free Member

I had one similar to that ^ when I about 16, but it was a 200m water resistant. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was as robust as a G shock tbh, I remember it being pretty bomb proof

chewkw
    Free Member

My 10 year old Casio G-Shock is similar to the one posted by ross980.

Never miss a beat  and only “woke up” few seconds slower once last week. It is the battery save mode when not expose to light for long too long.  When it woke up the battery was still at maximum and all fine.

🙂

grey

I’ve had two Baby-Gs just  die for no reason, both were probably about 10yrs old.

kcr
    Free Member

Because they are no nonsense, tough as old boots machines for telling the time. They do one job really well.

I’ve got the same atomic solar M5600 as ross980 above. In 8 years it has never missed a beat. Never have to set the time (syncs with the atomic clock every night) never had to replace the battery. I only take it off when I sleep, but it has survived daily life with only a few superficial scratches on the face. It’s one of the few gadgets I own that works as well as the day I got it and has still not been superseded by something better.

seadog101

Hammered mine on a desk to prove a point to a fancy watch wearing bellend I worked with,

”Go on then, if your watch is so superior do this with it!”

rap rap rap rap…

”damn it, now none of the buttons work…” point lost.

However, he was still reluctant to hammer his watch upon the desk.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone else managed to break a G-Shock?’ is closed to new replies.