Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Has anyone cut an On One Geoff bar to fit brakes / shifter inside of the loop?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

So, rainy day ponderings…

I liked the Geoff bar when i used it on a trip (bikes gone but the bars remain), it was also dead handy for strapping a dry bag to. It would suit my current commuting bike for the same purpose.

I was wondering…

Could I cut out a half inch (maybe more) of the central forward loop bar in order to fit my Alfine shifer indide of the loop? (brakes are Shimano Deore 6000 & hinged so not an issue), the levers & shifting would be further inboard & would then allow me to trim the handlebars much narrower.

No off road use intended.

The Geoff bar weighs in at 590g so has plenty of material in it, is that frontal loop bar structural?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kDjcxt]2021-02-20_01-59-32[/url] by martinddd, on Flickr

tazzymtb

why not just get an original jones h bar with the open loop which will a: do just what you want and b: doesnt involve using a cheap rip off made by some scumbag knobends 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Cos i’m a tight wad & if i only cut out a little bit it would leave the front loop to strap to / lights etc

Good point on the Jones open loop bar though, the welds hold it plenty strong enough, so the On One should too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m going with no, H bars would be designed to twist arround the weld. Loop bars I’m imagining the far side acts as a fulcrum and the nearside experiences something closer to a shearing vertical force.

It might work, just depends how over engineered they are. I wouldn’t want to be the one to try it though.

I’d just look for a different shifter. Bar end + thumbshift mount?

qwerty
    Free Member

On One Mickey could be an option i guess. Anyone know the max width of the loop on them? i’d like around a 23″ handlebar the the brakes need to go way inboard.

martinhutch

Just reweld it up every time you take the shifter on and off. Or you could cut a section out of your alfine shifter mount and stick that back on. Failure would be a bit safer for you!

Or buy an S7000 alfine shifter…then you could ispec mount it to your brake lever.

qwerty
    Free Member

@martinhutch

Or buy an S7000 alfine shifter…then you could ispec mount it to your brake lever.

Ooooooo… can I do that? I’ve an Alfine 11, 2019.

martinhutch

I ‘thought’ you could. But wouldn’t believe it unless SJS Cycles have actually got the right bit.

montgomery
    Free Member

If the Geoff bars were essentially Mary/OG bars with a loop welded on front, I’d consider it. But they’re not, and I wouldn’t.

belugabob
    Free Member

How about a small accessory bar, with a hinged clamp, do that it can be mounted to the loop without cutting it, then mount the shifter on the accessory bar?

Something like this, but for 22mm bars…

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/genetic-neuron-accessory-bar/

… unless you have room in the thicker part of your bars, for this.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Above sounds a better idea than I was going to suggest having just read the whole thread and feeling knackered after work, which was…

Cut section out of front central loop, fit shifter and then find a way of rejoining front central loop with lock-on brackets.

fettlin

How much is the shifter to replace? I’d be tempted to cut the back of the shifter clamp and turn that into a split clamp, try that first.

I rode an old commuter for ages with a broken clamp band, didn’t notice till I took it off! Still worked when I refitted it.

I’d definitely do that before cutting the bars!

slowol

As above cutting the bar could lead to later catastrophe. The Mary bar isn’t welded like Jones but a one piece W shape and made quite differently to the Geoff. It is quite a nice bar for commuting (I have one on my hack bike pictured) but it doesn’t give you the extra forward hand positions and mounting lights is a bit odd as there are not any straight flat bits inboard of the shifters.

find duplicate values online

cynic-al
    Free Member

As above if you can re clamp the loop back to itself securely I would do it. With a spoon of course.

cheap rip off made by some scumbag knobends

Jones can protect his designs with IP law.

Nothing you’ve ever bought has any shady design heritage?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Jones can protect his designs with IP law.

He tried . UK importer got quiet upset at alpkit remember .

On -one doesn’t give a **** and even named some of the bars as a pisstake.

montgomery
    Free Member

The Mary bar isn’t welded like Jones but a one piece W shape and made quite differently to the Geoff.

Yeah, that was the point I was making, having used Marys, OGs and Geoffs. But, as of half an hour ago, I have these…

slowol

@montgomery just re-read your post and realise I’d misread before.
    Those kitchen sink bars look interesting, like ready fitted spinaci extensions.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone cut an On One Geoff bar to fit brakes / shifter inside of the loop?’ is closed to new replies.