Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Has anyone changed their name via deed poll?
  • br
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about it, I never use my first name (it is on my passport, driving licence though) – in fact I would reckon that most people who know me, don’t know it – and its not on my signature.

One of my uncles was Jim to everyone, turns out he was called Mervin – most people thought they’d come to the wrong funeral…

wallop

As well as….

Passport £83
    Driving Licence £20
    Gas
    Electricity
    Work details
    Bank
    Mortgage
    Land Registry (actually, still not done this one!!!)
    Water
    Telephone
    Broadband

Car insurance
    Buildings Insurance
    Contents Insurance
    Pet Insurance
    Bike Insurance
    Life Insurance
    Inland Revenue
    DVLA (V5)
    Mobile Phone
    Pensions
    Investments
    Credit cards
    loans
    Vets
    Doctors
    Library
    Club card/nectar card
    council tax
    electoral roll

(I got married this year – it’s a ball ache!!)

allthegear
    Free Member

You have just reminded me – when I informed Direct Line about my name change for my car, my premium reduced!! (not that I would recommend to anyone doing what I’m doing just to get cheaper car insurance!!)

Rachel

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Thanks Rachel that last post has given me my first laugh of the day!! 😆

MrOvershoot

wallop – Member

As well as….<lots of things listed>

(I got married this year – it’s a ball ache!!)

Has he found out yet?

Travis

It is easy to do, we’ve changed our sons name from his Chinese name, to an English name (for his passport and growing up in the UK reasons)
    Paid by CC on-line, filled out the forms on-line. Within 1 working week, received said documents from UK to sign. Sent. All done.
    Saying that, he was only 6 months old, so doesn’t have any other institutions nor companies notify.

samuri
    Free Member

I knew a guy called Arthur Smells, he went down the registrars & said he wanted to change his name by deed poll, the registrar asked him what he wanted to change his name to & he says ‘Fred Smells’

Reminds me of a car accident I heard about.
    Seems this chap was driving along a quiet lane when his tyre popped and his car overturned blocking the lane. Two couples turned up shortly afterwards. Mr and Mrs Smith and Mr and Mrs Ball.

Luckily he was dragged from the wreakage by the Smiths.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

when I informed Direct Line about my name change for my car, my premium reduced!

Classic! 🙂

warton
    Free Member

I haven’t, but I was looking on Facebook yesterday and I saw someone I know has named their son “Herbert tiger” so I expect he’ll be changing that in a few years. He lives in Brighton…

shotsaway
    Free Member

From the day I was born my parents, family & friends always called me by my second name, so I decided to drop the unused first name.

I changed my name online with The Legal Deed Poll service. It was very straight forward and I ordered extra copies of the “Legal Copy”. That way I didn’t have to send the original document to all the companies in the post. It also meant that if companies didnt send the copies of the legal copy back it didn’t really matter. There were one or two issues where companies didn’t change all of their databases, for example some letters/statements etc might be to addressed to the correct name but the salutation was still in my previous name. These small issues were normally sorted out on the phone. The only problem I had was with O2. When I login to my account it is still in my previous name. They insist that they have updated all of their databases, even after I have sent them screen dumps to prove that they haven’t.

These issues are small in comparison to the issues I had before I changed my name. As I had always been called by middle name, I sometimes wouldn’t hear calls for me by my first name (ie at the Doctors, Dentist etc). I always had issues with work email addresses, as IT departments would issue an address with my first name and I would then spend weeks or months trying to get them changed to my known name! I once turned up at the airport to discover my friend had booked the ticket in my known name, rather than my first name. Of course the only way the airline would change the ticket to match my passport was by paying a surcharge. In the end changing my name was the only option!

allthegear
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    when I informed Direct Line about my name change for my car, my premium reduced!
    Classic!

Yeah – wasn’t even affected by the fact that, after 18 years of perfect driving in my old life, a fortnight into having my licence in my new life, I got caught speeding…

It does seem a bit daft the way that insurance companies determine risk – I’m exactly the same person with exactly the same likelihood of making a claim but because one detail changes, the change the premium.

Rachel

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone changed their name via deed poll?’ is closed to new replies.