• This topic has 43 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Has anyone actually pre-ordered an O-O fat bike yet?
  • Woody
    Free Member

For various reasons I’m swithering on this one. Not because I’m not sure I want a fat bike (I do) but mainly the alternative options and cost implications.

What were/are your reasons for buying or not?

ton

i am hovering as i type.

MrSparkle

It’s spelt ‘hoovering’ Tony. ;0)

fenred
    Free Member

Waiting to see if they’re going to do a rolling chassis 😕

FOG

You do realise that this is the end of the fat bike phenomena!
    Now that you can buy a ready to ride bike in the UK at a good price by just clicking on ‘buy’ all the nichers will move on to some new exotic form of the humble bicycle. As soon as there is a chance of seeing another one in the street [ not at anorak gatherings] the buzz is over, finished, dead.
    [just kidding folks, I too am suffering Fat Want]

Woody
    Free Member

It’s spelt ‘hoovering’ Tony.

not if he’s had sprouts 😉

Waiting to see if they’re going to do a rolling chassis

That’s one of my reasons too as I have a large amount of bits waiting for a suitable ‘hanger’.

druidh
    Free Member

I thought it was all “full-builds” – at least the initial batch of 100.

I’d like to see some of the parts (wheels/rims/tyres).

shortcut

Don’t see the point!

druidh
    Free Member

You don’t see the point of pre-ordering?

Well – I guess it’s unlikely they’ll sell all 100 right away. Sales might speed up if we have a bit of a snowfall though.

Houns

Phad

Woody
    Free Member

You don’t see the point of pre-ordering?

That is a consideration. If there is no snow, I can see a £899 ‘special never to be repeated offer’ in January!

I don’t want it for snow. I just want something attention seeking that people can look at/laugh/gaze in awe and ask what’s the point, when I nip down the shops 😉

cupra
    Free Member

Swithering myself especially as salsa have just launched the krampus, that and the fact the on one is really really ugly.

brant
    Free Member

They are selling very well and will all be gone by the time they’re here at this rate. Especially considering we haven’t done any announcement other than twitter and facebook. And a banner on the site.

So we’re delighted.

Rolling chassis will be an option at some point, as will frame and wheels and tyres and fork, but initially it’s complete’s only.

footflaps

What will Sheldon and the Knights of Niche move onto now Phat is mainstream?

Maybe 26″ FSers with gears and 2.3″ tyres is the next uber-niche…

druidh
    Free Member

I guess the Krampus is even more niche than a Fatbike!

Woody
    Free Member

Looked at the Krampus but for me at least, having built a 1/2 fat previously, it’s a bit too much of a compromise. Does look like fun though and I think it would be a cracking ‘do-a-lot-of-things’ bike!

Rolling chassis will be an option at some point, as will frame and wheels and tyres and fork

Excellent, ASAP please.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I think it looks ace and would love to have one. It’d be perfect for snowy night rides. Are fatties better in the winter mud too?

Oh, and how much do (approx) these weigh?

mattbibbings
    Free Member

If I had a spare grand kicking about (i wish) I’d be on it like a fat dog in a butchers bin.

It looks so wrong but I just can’t kick the idea that it would feel so right. I too thought about the weight – for about a second = if you are worried about how much these things weighh you shouldn’t be even thinking about them!

mrbelowski
    Free Member

It’s not a worry, it’s a curiosity – I know it’ll be rather a lot 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Mud? It depends on the type of mud. You’ll “float” over some stuff a thinner tyre will bog down in. However, a thinner tyre might also cut through a thinner layer of mud to a harder surface below and gain more traction that way. Generally, the fat tyre will keep rolling if you have enough momentum and you won’t get so many “over the bars” moments.

Weight? My 9:ZERO:7 weighs 31 lbs. Folk are getting them to less than that with fewer gears and lighter weight components. So – not weeny-light, but not ridiculously heavy either. I’ve not yet seen a weight for a complete On One.

forge197
    Free Member

I was going to buy one when I reached a weight goal I like the irony of a fat bike when I am loosing weight, but suspect I won’t as I am not sure when I’d use it, not that normally matters as a reason not to buy a new bike 😉 think I am being to sensible……..

shaggy

My large prototype with Floaters, a Reverb and nothing I would class as light comes in a hair over 33lb. I keep planning to put it on a diet but it rides really well as it is so I haven’t bothered.

Woody
    Free Member

Shaggy

What wheels/tyres did you have on at that weight – do you know if they are the same as the ‘complete build’?

shaggy

It’s got production Floater tyres and the wheels are the same as production but drilled, so a wee bit lighter.

brant
    Free Member

Neil our mechanic says our 16in small Fatty weights bang on 32lb

Woody
    Free Member

So 20″ could easily be sub 32lbs with a bit of tweaking and drilling which compares very favourably to a Pug etc. 🙂

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Balls. I know I can’t afford it, I know I have enough bikes, I know I don’t need it, so why do I know I’m going to order one? 🙁

ton

Brant, if you need a proper fatty to test your fatty……..you know where i work matey……. 😀

sofaking
    Free Member

What will Sheldon and the Knights of Niche move onto now Phat is mainstream?

Maybe 26″ FSers with gears and 2.3″ tyres is the next uber-niche…
    do you know how many of the Knights actually own fatbikes or even admit to being Knights for that matter 🙂

takisawa2

I was surprised how light the Krampus felt when I picked up the one at the NEC a few weeks ago. I’d struggle to justify a full fat bike, but I can’t wait to try a Krampus out. For how/when/where I ride the concept sounds spot on. Been running my rigid Niner on 2.4 Ralphs at down to 25psi & I like it.

boltonjon

I really want one too – like really want one – so much so that i’m currently having a garage clear out to find the funds….

Come on Brant – how heavy is your Fatbike?

Also – when is the likely delivery date?

druidh
    Free Member

brant – Member – Quote
    Neil our mechanic says our 16in small Fatty weights bang on 32lb

Website says early December

tazzymtb

no singlespeedy no point, gears are for the weak limbed and effete. Now that belt drive 9 Zero 7…that is a fat bike to swoon over.

the on-one proto did ride nicely though

Woody
    Free Member

I’m sure you could find a magic ratio to get over that one tazzy 😉

tazzymtb

nah it’s always a compromise, at least a swoppy dropout or slidey version like pukka old O-O’s would be nice

Clink

no singlespeedy no point, gears are for the weak limbed and effete

er..didn’t you build that Chumba with gears?? 😆

tazzymtb

what this chumba?

no dangler of gears befouls any of my bikes.

Clink

Ah – just the front bounce – my wrong 😳

singlecrack
    Free Member

I was going to press the buy button……but not sure now as the lack of single speed and if you want more than 10 gears no front mech fitment …also not sure the lack of chain retention device is a good thing ….as I run just one gear up front on my other bikes and always need on ………

brant
    Free Member

Will have a top mount chain device.
    And we have had front mechs working with a little filing with a standard seat tube mount.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone actually pre-ordered an O-O fat bike yet?’ is closed to new replies.