Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Has Anybody Used These (Rear) Disc Brake Adaptors…On Old Steel Road Frames?
  • TimothyD
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Disc-brake-bracket-frame-adaptor-3-sizes-for-140-160-180mm-rotor-/271571281671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3f3ae8e707

I’ve had a thought that they could be used to fit a rear disc brake to nice old steel road frames to avoid the cost of buying a modern disc one.

Has anybody used them either on MTB or road frames?

Thanks all.

iain1775
    Free Member

Not seen them before but at that price I might be tempted to give one a go

TimothyD
    Free Member

Yeah, worth punt to fiddle with them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TimothyD
    Free Member

It could be quite nice to get a vintage 90’s high end Italian race frame and put some (custom?) cromed disc forks on the front, and have one of the adaptors cromed for the back and have some red Fulcrum disc wheels and modern stopping power.

Coo…a project. 🙂

tthew

Bloke I ride with had something very similar on an old Kona MTB. Seemed to work fine. If its an old lightweight steel frame, it puts the forces in a place never envisaged in the design, having said that, I’d probably do it.

ChrisA
    Free Member

On a road frame, the rear spacing is more than likely to be 130mm, not 135mm, so it wouldn’t work without more frame modification

ibnchris

Nice find! Going to have to get some to get my old kona back on the trails…

TimothyD
    Free Member

Depending on the forks, I dunno how much I’d trust the front disc mounts, I had an email from Field Cycles where the builder was cagey about putting a disc tab onto a split crown fork from my old steel rigid MTB. It could be okay or it might not be, was his take on things. I guess some caution can’t be a bad thing.

I feel like I know too much about obscure bike bits and bobs ibnchris, have spent too long surfing the internet instead of studying or going outside.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Looks good but I would be using a proper fork. Having said that 531 forks are silly strong, frames bend in front end crashes and the forks are untouched.
    An alternative would be to buy the mount from Ceeway and get it brazed on with a stiffening strut. Maybe after having tried one of these.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Rear spacing may well be 126mm if the frame is pre say early 80’s. So what the buggers will spring quite happily .

bencooper
    Free Member

On an old road frame, that may well bend the seatstay – much better to have the mount brazed on with a diagonal brace.

Need to be very careful adding discs to non-disc forks – the forces are much higher than they’re designed for, and are off-centre.

I wouldn’t 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Has Anybody Used These (Rear) Disc Brake Adaptors…On Old Steel Road Frames?’ is closed to new replies.