• This topic has 46 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Has a scare with the puppy last night
  • mattyfez

My own fault (I’m a ******* idiot at times) , was eating some malt loaf and a tiny bit dropped on the floor.

I’ve previously read that grapes raisns/currants can be quite toxic on some dogs, and of course the dog chomped it up at lightning speed.

So straight to the vet where they administered an injection to make him puke, overnight stay last night and tonight while they keep an eye an his kidney function via blood tests, and IV fluids.. but he seemed fine when I visited him this afternoon.

I feel much better about him now, aside from making him go through all the stress.

I’m quite hopeful as not all (many?) dogs react to grapes/raisins and I’m not 100% sure the small bit of loaf he ate had any raisin in it.

So stressful for the little guy though, going to see him again in a few hours, but they want to keep him in for another 24hrs to make sure his blood tests are ok and give IV fluids of needed.

Maybe I over reacted and panicked but keep grapes and raisins and currants away from your dog folks!

Hopefully he’s in the clear, but it seems strange how they can’t identify the particular toxin, or why some dogs are fine and others can suffer catastrophic kidney damage from it.

Hopefully he can come home tomorrow.

Just glad he’s insured, the vet bill is currently about £700!

Sorry for the brain dump, super stressed!

zilog6128

but it seems strange how they can’t identify the particular toxin, or why some dogs are fine and others can suffer catastrophic kidney damage from it.

was this urban myth invented/spread by vets I wonder? 🤔

they want to keep him in for another 24hrs to make sure his blood tests are ok and give IV fluids of needed.

of course they did 💲💲💲 £700 for a crumb of Soreen. 😂 I’m in the wrong business.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just glad he’s insured, the vet bill is currently about £700!

And the lesson to be learned is that vets are in it for the money. If your dog was going to have a reaction it would have started with some visible effects ie vomiting, squits, Keeling over. That’s when I would be heading to a vets.

Our last dog ate grapes for 15 yrs and it did her no harm.

poah
    Free Member

did anything actually happen to the dog or did you just take it to the vets as soon as it eat something?

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Agree complete bollocks, had a black lab that made 16 years and literally ate everylast thing it could capture including a full malt loaf she pinched from a cuboard (including the wrapper)

Shat like a buffalo…

convert

A tiny bit dropped on the floor…….I feel you may have overreacted and been shafted (or rather the insurance company and therefore all insurance company customers) by the vet.

mattbee

A dog. An animal that will eat something that’s been dead for weeks. Then throw it up. Then eat it again.
    Whilst it is true that some foods aren’t at all good for your dog and also that small dogs (& puppies) condition can deteriorate very quickly if they become unwell it’s also true that when presented with the choice of giving you the goods stuff’ (& charging accordingly) or telling you to just keep an eye on the dog, the vet will always go for the former not the latter.
    Obviously it’s good that you are concerned enough to act but I think you may have been slightly premature. A whole malt log, maybe but just a bite? Not sure I’d have bothered.
    (I’m fully aware that rotten meat is a little different to dried fruit but I’m sure you get what I’m saying…)

mlltt

If it makes you feel better my other half took our puppy to the vets as she ate some daffodils shoots and was being sick, it cost £70 for the honour.

She is a Labrador and will eat anything, but I guess better safe than sorry!

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Sorry, I only clicked because i thought the title was a euphemism…

Futureboy77

The Vet saw you coming. Given the amount of sh*t that dogs attempt to eat, I would just have kept an eye on the pupper and only taken it to the vet if there was any change.

It boils my piss when some vets try and give neutritional advice (despite spending a tiny amount of time studying the subject…usually sponsored by a big pet food company), by recommending IAMS, Royal Canin etc, which are crap.

I had a hilarious conversation with my Vet when she tried to push Royal Canin as it’s the best food available (her words, not mine). I explained that I feed the dogs a raw diet. She tried to chastise me, before eventually admitting she also fed her dogs a raw diet!

Rant over!

Also, they will tell you a dog should never eat garlic. My two get a clove each twice a week as a natural flea treatment. Rather that than give them horrible spot on stuff.

theboatman
    Free Member

Our retriever, who is simply a good natured stomach on legs ate over half a sizeable homemade Christmas cake that one of the kids left in his reach. The only notable thing was that his considerable dumps had a Christmas cake aroma and consistency, not sure how it’s left me feeling about Christmas cake.

Glad the pups okay.

chewkw
    Free Member

I’ve previously read that grapes raisns/currants can be quite toxic on some dogs, and of course the dog chomped it up at lightning speed.

Chocolate is also toxic to dogs.

mattyfez

Maybe I did overreact, I dunno.

Is it a vet con? I’ve done a lot of reading online about this and it seems it’s hit and miss as to how bad it can be as the culprit chemical/compound/toxic mechanism hasn’t been established properly.

I can’t find any consensus.

I suppose worst case scenario is he’s looking ok so far…

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

I’d have thought the treatment would be more risk to the puppys well being (mentally and physically) than a small amount of malt bread.

My 13yo dog has snatched plenty of bad foods, Choc, rasins, grapes, onions included. Friends pointer had a habit of jumping up on the kitchen counter and eating the butter out the dish, whole cooked chickens, lbs of chocolate. Riddled with cancer now but still walked daily, pees and poops happily at 14.

I’d honestly suggest a new vet might be a wise choice.
    I can’t see how that treatment was in the best interest of the puppy.

mattyfez

He’s not got his final blood test for renal issues yet but it’s looking promising.

I’m also well aware that 2 nights sleeping over at the vet will (and has) upset him probably more than needed.

It’s just difficult to know what to do for the best sometimes, so he’s having the full traumatic detox away from the cats and his house for a few days and he’s very grumpy about it.

In 20:20 hindsight I probably did over react, but I’d rather have a grumpy dog than a dead one.

Reading up on the subject it does seem very vague.

But all the vet sites say it’s basically an emergency situation.

I don’t think my dog has had a reaction, he’s just royaly upset but I’m not really qualified.

singletrackmind

Don worry , My boss put his Springer Spaniel puppy on a staple diet . Literally the stupid mutt was searching the office floor and eating the staples that he had been dropping for months on the floor.
    What a tool ,, no thought given to who was going to clear up after him, or the fact that his puppy spots the tiny shiney things and for some reason ( bored out of its mind being shut in a cage for hours mmostly ) was eating them.
    Rushed off to the vets for X rays ettc . muppet .

Futureboy77

As per dirksdigglers last two sentences, I would be looking for another Vet too.

I’d love to know what treatment they would prescribe when you invevitably come home to the shredded remnants of a black bag, where once proudly stood a full pedal bin!

For context, I was in my vets last Christmas and overheard conversation where a client phoned reception to say that their Lab had eaten a selection box. They asked for the weight of the dog and approx amount of chocolate eaten. The Vet advised the owner to monitor the dog and bring it in if there was any symptoms of illness (and also to be prepared for it coming out the other end). That seems a reasonable response to me.

bruk

This is a very tricky one as there is huge amounts of anecdotal evidence showing dogs eating grapes, raisins, mince pies, malt loaf and Christmas cake as above and not showing any signs of disease.

However there is also clinical evidence of dogs being exposed to small amounts of these products and suffering significant kidney disease with the clinical signs not starting for 2-3 days post exposure.

Ask yourself how you would react when needing to advise somebody with a new puppy. We can take a chance and do nothing and it is highly likely he will be fine but I can’t guarantee that and worst case scenario is he dies of kidney failure. What if they take the chance and it dies, how as a caring professional will you feel. How will the owner feel, will they blame you, will they complain and try and have you struck off?

Now make your choice.

zilog6128

But all the vet sites say it’s basically an emergency situation.

funny that 😂

pondo

Jesus. We used to try and make one of our old dogs eat grapes, we thought it was comedy because he would gum them but never eat, he’d never even break the skin (and he wouldn’t eat peeled grapes either – tried that). Normally he would eat more or less anything.

convert

In 20:20 hindsight I probably did over react, but I’d rather have a grumpy dog than a dead one.

Do you think ou would have asked more questions and thought harder is you were self insuring? I asked this as a currently pet free house after the last furry friend died a year ago at a ripe old age. We insured her her whole life and never used it (as in the only medical bills she generated were not covered by the policy) but are thinking this time we won’t. You talk to people who quote scarry figures they have claimed on insurance during their pet’s life as proof it was the right decision to insure. I would contend quite a proportion of that are cases like this why ‘might’ have been wise or ‘might’ have been very cautious. It would also be interesting to know if you vet would have given different advice if you had not been insured.

tonyg2003

Never heard of grapes / raisins being toxic to dogs and I’d be surprised if they are, there isn’t much in them. However chocolate, particularly dark (100% coco) choc is highly toxic to dogs, especially small dogs. I know all about this! Almost lost our border terrier last Xmas (he was properly ill for over a week) after he ate some dark drinking chocolate. Full emergency trip to the vet on Xmas eve and dog at vets over Xmas.

rockhopper70

At risk being a doom monger, you might also want to check with your Insurers if the claim you have now made results in any digestive problems in the future excluded from cover under a pre-existing conditions clause?

These can be incredibly harsh from the policyholders view, depending on the Insurer.

piemonster

Matty, I’m sure your Pup will be fine it’s very very rare to cause serious issues.

Our pup also went in for eating grapes, but he also had vomiting and diarrhoea.

Our bill was a lot less than yours, less than half at least.

Poopscoop

Op, it’s a learning curve and you did the best given what you knew at the time. Nice to hear your such a good loving owner tbh.👍

Its like being new parent for a while …

At first picking up dropped dummys every 2 minutes while out and about…. diligently antibac-ing it or swapping it with another clean one etc etc….

After a while you do what every one else does, stick it in your gob, lick it with your tongue and shove it back in the babies mouth. Job done!

Biodiversity is good (genuinely) and my lad has no allergies to anything.😁

CheesybeanZ

Pants down , bottom spanked …. vet in money making ripoff shocker .

onehundredthidiot

Your dog and a caring call, vet’s reaction is up to you to guage. Either precautionary or extreme.
    My old dog ate a slice of Christmas cake when I’d had him for a couple of weeks, having just lost a dog to an icy river. I phoned vet and their reaction was to say if more than a cupped hand of currants then bring him in if not watch him if he seems off bring him in. He was two a pup could easily be effected by much less.
    At least he’s ok.

mattyfez

Thanks for all the replies.

Well we made the decision to take him home this evening as his initial blood tests were fine and apart from being stressed at staying at the vets and having an IV thingy put in for fluids.
    It’s been 24 hours but I understand it can take up to 48 hours if there’s a problem of this veriety to manifest.

He’s going back tomorrow for another blood test but I think he was really upset about not being in familiar surroundings/people overnight.

The vet seemed to concur.

He’s currently having snuggles x

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Not trying to play devils advocate.. presumably this isn’t an actual puppy but the 3 year old dog that has a penchant for eating tables?
    I totally get the ‘new parent panic’, but once you’ve had one kid and realise their not actually all that fragile, #2 tends to get positively neglected in comparison.
    In the forest around us, THC laced human poop is the new doggy toxic risk.
    Good that he’s home, hopefully no psychological issues/separation anxiety as a result.

Sandwich

Is it a vet con?

Looking at it another way, if the vet under-treats and the dog dies how does that play out with the owner?

Disclosure, I changed vets because the last one thought acute heart failure didn’t need an emergency referral, it was classed as just routine!

sandwicheater

Dog post with no photo, BURN HIM, BURN HIM WITH FIRE!!!

You’re a better dog honour than me.

Came in from the garden to find dog had got into a cupboard, the one we keep dry food in.

Quick check and she had polished off an entire malt loaf and was half way through a box of cereals.

Just some tutting from me. Her tummy did swell considerably but didn’t pop, which was nice.

DezB
    Free Member

Vets conning insurance companies? At least someone’s getting something out of the scumbags! 😆

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

LOL what a over reaction

way to put peoples premiums up on insurance

dogs eat absolutely anything, there own shit, other dogs shit, sick the lot! if it had been totally dangerous to the dog im sure it would have let you know

Poopscoop

^^ Not seeing how the op did that. The vet possibly but not the op.

SaxonRider

Looking at it another way, if the vet under-treats and the dog dies how does that play out with the owner?

As part of life?

mattyfez

@dirksdiggler yes he’s 3 now, I just still call him puppy lol.

@sandwicheater
    this is he

FB_IMG_1578065881819

FB_IMG_1578065823898

Not going to get into a debate about whether vets rinse insurance companies once they realise they’ve got good cover.
    I’m kind of on the fence on that one in this particular context as grape/raisin toxicity seems to be well documented, albeit in a minority of dogs and in slightly larger doses than mine may have ingested.
    I did do a lot of reading and basically came to the conclusion that some/most dogs are fine and some react very gravely.

After inducing vomiting the vet said they saw what sounds like his normal food but no sign of the malt loaf.

The bill should be lower now as it was based on 2 days stay over with IV fluids and blood tests, we ended up taking him home after the first night as his initial test was OK, but it can take longer than that for the blood tests to show an issue.

He was stressed and the vets were struggling to deal with him without sedation (it was his first ever stay away overnight) so he went back in this afternoon for another blood test as an outpatient and that came back clean.

I appreciate I probably stressed him needlessly in hindsight, but I’d rather upset him than have him die from kidney damage.

Thanks for the comments all, interesting as always, Lol!

breadcrumb

@FunkyDunc

Our last dog ate grapes for 15 yrs and it did her no harm.

Not even a little whine?

mattyfez

As part of life?

I don’t think clinical negligence is part of life.

To be fair to our vet (after inducing vomiting) they gave us the option of sending him home with charcoal food additive to clean his gut up, or to stay in and have the full treatment as if toxicity had already been diagnosed.

In the end we went about halfway, and would have gone full hog if the first bloods were inconclusive and he wasn’t so stressed from having a drip plugged into his front leg.

As it happens he’s fine, rightly or wrongly I did what I thought was best given the information I had.
    So aside from a grumpy puppy today, I don’t really regret my decision.

andy5390

Chocolate is also toxic to dogs.

Should have told that to my Bichon, who managed to get a 500g box of chocolates off the table one xmas. Leaving nothing but a pile of shredded cardboard and two coffee cremes. Didn’t even get the shits.

Lived another 11 years without any health issues

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Has a scare with the puppy last night’ is closed to new replies.