Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Harry’s Shaves – experiences
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Don’t bother with cheap brushes, a good brush won’t cost that much (compared to Gillette blades) and will last a very long time. Plus you get a better lather.
    I’ve been a DE convert for about 10 years now and my go to kit is one of 2 vintage Gillette razors with feather blades and Arco soap, but it’s nice to try others occasionally.
    I’ve got a Futur but prefer the smaller head if the old razors.
    There’s just something cool about using a razor that’s older than me and still as good as the day but was made!
    Sorry, but sod your plastic shit 🤘
    Might try the oil trick.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

No time taken over a shave here with my double edge (Qshave and Polsilver blades). Was interested how long my standard shave takes including lathering up with a brush and 2 passes with a lather between (across growth then against growth) 7 minutes from start to finish. Time vs Money saving is more than worth it for me… £12 for blades every 3 or 4 years soon paid for the outlay of razor and brush. Was paying more than that over 2 months for disposable.

I don’t bother with oil, use Arko and not had an issue getting a decent lather. Used it from Cornwall to Cumbria and a lot of places in between 0 issues.

IdleJon

Premier Icon
    DezB

Subscriber
    try de

No.
    Shaving isn’t an adventure, it’s not something I do to make myself feel special or manly, its just a chore in the morning I want to get done as quickly as possible, with no faff or messing around with special brushes or whatever yu have to invest in. Thats what multi blades were invented for. Splash, gel, shave, done.

😂

I’ve been using de blades and cheap handles for probably twenty years now, since I first tried the little travel set that my grandfather gave me. I get Palmolive shave stick, any blades I find in the supermarket and don’t do any preparation. I rarely cut myself or get a rash. Occasionally I put a sharp blade in… I’m guessing my face is easy to shave.

Not everybody needs an antique razor, with blades made in Osaka on the Shogun’s anvil and using soap made of unicorns’ promises. 😁

neilnevill
    Free Member

Either my technique is still sh**, or my beard/skin awkward…I need oil from a mermaid’s armpit to get a smooth shave hahaha! Truthfully though, that £1.50 oil has transformed my shave. I was getting a fair bit of weepers or/rash, I don’t now, and blades seem to do an extra shave or so too.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh and I take 9-10 mins for 3 passes, time includes kit packed away in Washbag. I need 3 passes… Bristles like tree trunks here.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

@Neilnevill

I needed 3 passes with Denbys, can get away with 2 now, qShave set on 4 then 5.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve been up and down with the futur settings and settled on 2 for the 3 passes, or 1 for all passes with some blades for the first shave. I spent a few months trying 4 and 3 but was getting a fair bit of irritation, 2 works well for me. I did feel like I was closer shaved after first and second pass with a higher setting, but still need the against the grain anyway. I’ll probably try higher again in the future but happy at 2 for now.

mehr
    Free Member

Christmas 2015 I decided to try de shaving and bought a Merkur 34c (£34.99), 100 Astra blades (£9.99) a brush for about £10 and an Alum block (£4.99)

My only outlay since then has been a 99p Palmolive shave stick every 3 months.

Initially its daunting but I can now get most of it done whilst havng a shower, then a quick tidy up after

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I used to go 5,4,2 (down, across, up) but after a bit of reading, I found I was going the wrong way, much better saving going 4,5 and just doing across and up.
    I might try a better razor at some point, but the qShave works, just one hell of a blade gap.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Harry’s Shaves – experiences’ is closed to new replies.