Harry’s Shaves – experiences

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Harry’s Shaves – experiences
  • jlln

I’ve used Harry’s razors for a few months and am interested in other’s opinion of their razors?
    I initally was attracted by the price point and the fact they get delivered in the mail. Their adverts are plastered all over the place including you tube and here. After my second package arrived I’ve cancelled my order due to a recurring problem of slicing my chin open repeatedly when shaving. The single blade on the opposite side of the head is the culprit – the one used for trimming around the base of the nose, etc.
    While my wet shaving technique may be wrong, it’s the same one I’ve used for at least the past 25 years, and never had so many chin slices and needed so many bog roll plasters to stem the flow. Now I try to remember to make a mental note that “it’s a Harry’s Shaves razor….so be careful”
    I note the owners have recently sold the company to the owner of Wilkinson Sword for a cool 1.5 billion.
    Other’s experiences, please…

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I signed up cos a mate got a £5er off, then found a load of other blades in my drawer and before I knew it* had about 2 years worth of blades. So I cancelled.
    However, my Harry’s do not have the “single blade” of which you speak. And I’ve never got close to cutting my face with them. Pretty much the same as the WS Hydros I was using before.

Only thing I don’t like about them is the excessive packaging. (And the constant deliveries.)

*not really that quickly.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

(you might wanna get this moved into chat forum, where more than just legs are shaved)

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

Not used Harry’s but most decent razors these days have a single blade on the back for trimming sideburns etc.

I’ve been using cornerstone ones for years now and they work well (they have updated the razor design once in that time) – I cant see how you can accidentally slice your chin with the blade on the back of the razor?

I also have the wrong technique – everywhere says to shave down and then if needed across to get a smooth shave. I find that doesn’t work for me – so I shave down once all over my face to get the worst off, then shave again up. Works perfectly and I use their shave balm straight after to calm it all down.

Best razor I’ve had by miles.

Premier Icon funkrodent
    Subscriber

Never used one, always looked quite expensive once the promotional deal was over. Guess it depends on how often you shave.

Will say that I find Wilkinson Sword razors much better than the Gillette equivalent though. Anyone else found this?

petec

never used harry’s (obv i follow the STW massive in using a old fashioned safety razor – much nicer)

but, i do have a cartridge razor for weekends away with only hand luggage. It’s one of these https://www.boldking.com/uk/products/the-kit . Nowhere near as nice as a safety razor though

Premier Icon darkroomtim
    Subscriber

yeah I initially signed up and used them for a couple of months but:
    – the top of the razor seemed too big as I found shaving under the nose difficult
    – I would need to replace the blade every week – when I use Gillette blades they last ages

Frankers

I didn’t get on with the top single razor, always ended up cutting myself when trimming under my nose. Went back to Gillette which doesn’t cause cuts and lasts ages.

TurnerGuy

anything with an aloe libricating strip is off my list – you think the blade is worn and draggy but it is just that strip.

Hydro 3 for me, lasts long and when the lube strip is empty you can just use more shaving gel.

King of Shaves serum for lube :

more expensive Hydro handle with the vibrating functon is sometimes useful

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

I can’t understand how you can cut your chin from the rear blade? I once cut my nostril when that blade first appeared on Gillettes, as previously I used to flick the corner of the razor slightly into my nostrils to catch any hairs there – only made that mistake once though…

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

How does £1.88 per blade “work out expensive”? Oh, I suppose if you bin em quicker than the other brands. I don’t.

Maybe mine do have that extra blade, not noticed it! The Hydros have a cover over it irrc.

@Turnerguy – can’t see your pic, could you enlarge pls. 😛

jlln

Well I have cut myself on the chin a few times and it’s the singke blade on the back that does it. I shave up the neck towards the chin – the other direction just doesn’t work for me – and when I get to the chin basically continue same direction but there’s a certain point where the head of the razor stops making contact with skin and gets a little airborne at which point I tighten my grip with the result that the head snaps back a bit and the back of it makes contact with the chin when the single blade makes the cut.
    This only happens when I’m not totally paying attention and is usually ok most of the time when I remember there’s a sharp vertical blade on the back of the razor head.
    Clearly my technique is a bit lacking but since I also sometimes use my gilette fusions with same slapdash method, when the razor leaves the surface of the chin and then bounces back the single blade on the back used for trimming doesn’t actually cut my chin. So it all seems to depend on the angle of the single blade in relation to the back of the razor head – seems like the Harry’s Shaves one is too vertical.
    I was interested to see if this was a common thing or just unique to my own chin and apparently only one other respondent has experienced the same thing…which kind of answers my question.

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

i signed up to the same sort of thing with cornerstone years ago, but quickly became frustrated with clogging issues within the 4 (i think) blades and quickly stopped my sub. im sure the 1 vs 2 vs 3 vs 4 blade argument must have been done to death somewhere, but simple little me just cant see how 4 blades can be any better than 1 good blade, after all, theres nowt closer than a cut-throat and thats only one blade 😀 . hmmmm….. i wonder if anyone does just a simple 1 blade/plenty of clearance razor….. oh yes, back to my vintage gillettes 🙂

that being said, if im feeling lazy or pushed for time, i still reach for the cornerstone plus canned gel to have a rapid shave, safe in the knowledge it wont cut me. i hear the heads have been redesigned, id be interested to know if that was to stop clogging issues.

in true stw style, i havent tried harrys, but imagine theyre all much of a muchness….

Premier Icon roger_mellie
    Subscriber

I was using Cornerstone. The quality of their blades changed for the worse so I changed in favour of Harry’s. No issues so far. I don’t have the single ‘trimming blade’ on mine, but maybe I’m on old stock (I haven’t had a order for a while).

You can easily change the frequency of Harry’s deliveries – just tell them you shave once every six months or whatever.

neilnevill

How does £1.88/blade work out as much saving?

Be bold, try de.

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

On Dollar Shave Club, have a similar issue, and seem to get more nicks than Gillette.

That said they are considerably cheaper, so sticking with them for now and putting up with the blood!

Premier Icon fatmax
    Subscriber

Was tempted by Harry’s and Cornerstone, then the latest Gillette blades seem to last forever so I’ve never bothered. And never get a nick with them, either the 5 blades or the trimmer. 👍

Not looked back after changing to an old style safety razor, upgraded to an adjustable with Polsilver blades and have been happy with the shave.
    Used to have a “shave club” which clogged every 3 or so shaves, can get a week and a half – 2 weeks out of a polsilver blade, and they are 100 for £12.
    Takes a while to get used to…. but persist and buy a good alum block and you get a good shave. Does look like you’ve been attacked for the first few shaves though…..

BillMC

Wilkinson Sword Quattro Precision blades (and razor) here. No cuts, very smooth shave and a blade lasts me a week. Less hazardous than de and better than Occam’s.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Found out my Harry’s do have the single blade at the top! Never even noticed it was there. Certainly never cut myself with it.

neilnevill

Good alum block? I don’t find I have trouble with a cheap one. Come to think of it I’ve not really had to use it in about 3 or 4 months. I did need it before that though!
    De shaving going well now though. With merkur futur at home and another at work I had to invest a bit up front but now shaves cost just a few pence each and are stunning, really good.

Holyzeus

Just looked at the cost. Forgive me if i’m wrong but any cheaper than any other cartridge style razor?? Also, remember the gel will be shite

Everyones face and perhaps technique being different might make this a muddy puddle OP but my experiences have generally been positive (for my face).

Not nicked nostrils and have occasionally nicked other places with rushed or bad style but have found the gel to be ace, the balm to be meh and the blades to be good but had to back to repeat order quantity right off as found I had a huge stockpile.

Whilst I do find they clog a little more than big brand style razors I do find I use less blades in them, seem to stay sharper for longer for me so advise approaching repeat order with caution.

James

@neilnevill

Well, a smooth block rather than those alum pencils you can get which seem a bit useless.

Don’t really use mine these days, occasional nip when I’m in a rush or razor burn when I’ve pushed a blade a bit too long.
    Been using a QShave and found it ok for the price.

neilnevill

Ahh i see. yes fair enough. i got a crayon/lipstick like stick first of all as that was suggested. It worked but it looks a bit odd now at the end…sort of swollen and flacky. a block seems better and that was bought too.

neilnevill

a really encourage people to try de. i have been for 8 months now and wish a did 30 years ago.
    now
    my experience was for ~2 months a had a lot of cuts, weepers and rash/burn but then the technique got good enough. the next 2-4 months were about learning still, trying different aggressiveness of setting for example, so i still had some bad shaves but mostly knew why. last 3 months fairly settled. i now shave pretty quickly, similar to mach 3 shaving time was, get a better shave and far less irritation than the mach 3, far less. some of the best blades for me cost about £9 for 100 and will do 6 or more shaves. since the shave is closer i shave every other day now so basically one de blade does about 2 weeks. i used a mach 3 for two weeks but second week was not great. So instead of almost £2 for a fortnight of mach 3 shaving I spend about 10p on a de blade. Like most i’ve found prep is more important so use a cheap brush to lather up soap and the revelation for me was finding johnsons aloe vera baby oil, and using it as a pre-shave oil, its amazing. the oil costs £1.50 for a bottle that will last 1-2 years. The soap…stuff like palmolive or arko costs about £1-1.50 a stick and it lasts agaest, lets say 2-3 months. My cheap brushes are starting to shed bristles so I’ll need new soon but 4-6 months for £1.50-2 brush that’s ok. SO blade, soap, brush, oil i spend about 70p a fortnight, about 1/3 the cost on mach 3 blades. the investment in 2 x merkur futurs will be recouped in 18 – 24 months. to get started you need to buy a razor and you can get good ones for £20-30, less if you go pre owned, or try something like the q-shave futur clone for under £10. if you dont get on with whichever you try, sell it on.
    give de a try!

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

try de

No.
    Shaving isn’t an adventure, it’s not something I do to make myself feel special or manly, its just a chore in the morning I want to get done as quickly as possible, with no faff or messing around with special brushes or whatever yu have to invest in. Thats what multi blades were invented for. Splash, gel, shave, done.

Holyzeus

Neil, I have a brush I can send you.
    PM you shortly

Oh shaving is a chore for me, I have to be cleanly shaven for work, but if I can save a hell of a lot of money doing it I will! The savings not buying packs 8 of multi-blades every 2 months (or more 3 days best out of some blades) over a years has more than covered the initial outlay.
    I’ve been shaving with a safety razor for 7 years now and wouldn’t look back. Less than 10 mins for a quick lather with brush shave before work every day.

Neil, one thing I did buy was a good brush, my Taylors is still good after 7 years.

neilnevill

cheers holyzeus. cheers skankin, as i said in the de advice thread, i’m considering a better brush. the 2 cheap ones i started with have been ok but the wilko sword one i have at work, while hardly shedding a bristle for the first few months has suddenly started to disintegrate big time…its like a molting cat. i fear partly this could be due to it living in my wash bag and in my locker and never drying. at home a decent brush has a chance to a long and healthy life, but at work i fear a better brush could soon suffer the same fate as the wilko.

dezB i’m not eulogising about de, I too find shaving a chore. But i find de shaving far more comfortable than cartridge shaving, far far cheaper and slightly closer too. I admit i do like that I’m learning something new, learning to do something well, but at the end of the day shavings is mostly a chore. Yes, you do need to invest a bit of cash on a razor, and definitely need to invest 2-4 months to learn to do a good, quick shave. You are right that cartridge/disposables were invented to make nick free shaving simple. trouble is they don’t give a low irritation shave for many, and they costa fortune over time. As far as i can see Harry’s dollar and the online cartridges don’t change that much.

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

any recommendations to get a good lather in hard water areas? ive always read that taylors of old bond st luxury cream is about the best you can get for this, but my lathers still a bit crap with that too…..

neilnevill

punk, do you use an oil? I’ve found oil adds thickness to even the worst soap. EVEN wilkinson sword soap gives me a decent lather now.

Holyzeus

Glycerine can help when a few drops added to the soap.

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

punk, do you use an oil? I’ve found oil adds thickness to even the worst soap. EVEN wilkinson sword soap gives me a decent lather now.

no, what sort of oil will add volume to lather?

Glycerine can help when a few drops added to the soap.

help with what? a nice smooth, slidey feeling with the blade, or bump up the lather?

thanks

Premier Icon dannybgoode
    Subscriber

Quite agree that a proper safety razor will out-perform Harry’s or anyone else. £9.95 for 100 quality blades. These will need changing every 3 shaves or so giving around a year’s worth of blades for a tenner.

It’ll be a closer shave too and get a decent razor (Merkur is my brand of choice) and shaving becomes a pleasure.

A good brush and shaving soap are a must whatever wet razor you use. Worlds apart from gel or foam.

hodgynd

Haven’t tried Harry’s, Conerstone or any of the other ” through the letterbox ” blades ..I’ve been a Gillette man for (40+) years and I’m pretty much in the DezB camp of shaving ( let’s get it done and dusted as quickly as possible..)..the way some of you boys go on it seems to be the highlight of your day ..
    Do you also set the scene with mood music and scented candles prior to starting your shaving ritual …😂
    ffs !

neilnevill

Lol! I’ll have to try that

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.