Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hardwood Flooring
  • yosemitepaul

We are considering getting the downstairs of our house completely laid with Hardwood or Engineered Hardwood flooring (probably engineered as it is supposed to conduct heat better).

I’ve been looking at various web pages Havwoods, Euroak and similar for what I think is good, well-made stuff. I don’t want anything from Wickes, Ikea etc.

It has to be a good job and I don’t mind paying, but no one gives a price. I don’t want to appear a complete numpty when I go and chat with them, Id like to armed with a ball park figure so my jaw doesn’t drop too much.

We’ll need about 90m sq done.

Anyone had a similar floor done recently and have an idea on cost?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Deadlydarcy deadlydarcy deadlydarcy.

That should do it. He’ll be aling shortly.

bristolflanker
    Free Member

I used Chauncey’s in Bristol (www.chauncey.co.uk) for my oak boards (used both solid and engineered). Price list on website.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I paid £100 per metre supplied and fitted. It was laid in a herring bone style, with a border, which put the cost up.

I also had leveling compound laid on a concrete sub floor.

Not cheap but a brilliant job and it should be here longer than I will be.

jim25

For the flooring you can pay anywhere from £20/m upwards depending on the style and brand.

I’d go with engineered personally, more stable and less chance of boards shrinking and causing gaps like a solid oak for instance.

Fitting, I don’t normally work out prices on a meterage rate as each job will have a different set of requirements. As in what shape are the rooms? What’s going to be done with the skirting? How many doorways are there to cut around? Do you want thresholds on the joins of rooms or can we get away with not using them (unlikely as you will need expansion gaps at generally max run of 8-10m depending on brand of floor used.)

For best results I always advise to remove the skirting, fit the floor then refit skirting on top. Gives a much better finish and no need to have that crappy beading around the edge.

I think some fitters would charge around £40/m to fit to give you a guide price

Where are you based, if local to Herts/ N London I can give you some places to get the floor from

onewheelgood

About 15 years ago I had a similar question. Ended up going for bamboo, which was cheaper, and has worn really well over those years.

yosemitepaul

Thanks Jim 25 but I’m the other end of the country. Good info though thank you.

jim25

No problem.

breadcrumb

We have oak flooring in the two front rooms. Looks lovely but it shrinks slightly with the UFH. Goes back to normal in the summer but I think engineered wood might of been a better choice.

neilnevill
    Free Member

deadly laid oak parquet for me,  no shrinkage except for a few tiny cracks in front of the stove over the winter.  Can’t recommend Deadly strong enough. top top man.

phil5556

We’ve got bamboo because we fancied something different to the usual Oak etc, had the hall and dining room done 2 years ago which is still looking great.

I’ve just laid about 25sqm in our lounge. No shrinkage anywhere yet, time will tell how it holds up in front of the stove.

About£25/SQM + about £150 of glue.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hardwood Flooring’ is closed to new replies.