Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Hardtails – long, low & a little bit slack – point me in the right direction pls
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Looking for a long and low HT along the lines of the Mondraker Vantage Dave had https://singletrackworld.com/2015/04/long-termers-daves-mondraker-vantage-rr-part-two/

What else is there?

Ta folks

batman11
    Free Member

Pipedream moxie! Simple as that

nigew
    Free Member

Cotic Bfe?

I have a 26 ain’t dead with 160mm forks, I ride it around the same trails in Calderdale and it feels great when ridden hard, the latest Gen are slightly longer too.

sharkattack

Just had to Google Pipedream Moxie. They look smart but £630 for 4130?

I personally couldn’t look past the new Bfe. I’m totally over hardtails having done them to death but I’ve still considered one.

qwerty
    Free Member

Check out Oranges range, they have a fair few, both wheel sizes, Clockwork, Crush, P7 etc. 🍊

cokie

Cotic SolarisMax- the new Longshot geometry one.

Lighter and shorter travel than the Moxie.

guandax
    Free Member

Stanton Switchback?

ecopan87
    Free Member

I had a Vantage R, the same one in the review you posted the link to and absolutely hated it.

To be fair it descended like a rocket but the rear end was far too stiff which made it near impossible to pedal on rocky or cobbly sections of trail.

I think the fact it was totally underforked (140mm Fox 32) had something to do with it. I would look at the Plus sized version of it if I was to revisit it or add a 160mm fork like a Pike or a 34.

I’m interested in a Sick Bicycles Wulf with 29er wheels for this winter or a Pace RC129.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member
    legbacon
    Free Member

I had a Vantage R frame and it was very stiff.  I’m on a Pipedream Moxie now, and it keeps up with my friends 140-150 bikes.  It really is an amazing frame.

BillOddie

Aside fromt he Moxie, Chromag Rootdown BA or Cotic Solaris MAX would be my choices.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

BTR?

Bird?

Shan?

Sick?

toblerone1

+1 for the Cotic BFe. It’s what i ride and if Long Low and slack is what your after look no further 🙂

chestrockwell

One of these if they have your size.

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/ORANGECLEARANCE-122.html

Rickos
    Free Member

Stif Morf – https://www.stif.co.uk/morf

Nukeproof Scout in 27.5 or 29

JonEdwards
    Free Member

New Soul or BFe depending on how solid you like your bikes. I went Soul and haven’t regretted it for an instant. BFe has a fractional edge cornering (lower BB for a given fork length) but the Soul is way more forgiving ride wise.

thorpie
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a Orange Clockwork 137 frame. Looking forward to getting it built up. Fits your requirements.

WildHunter2009

I have a new BFe and it’s an absolute monster. Brilliant fun but probably not a total all-rounder. I reckon the new solaris looks amazing or anything by Stanton.

funkmasterp

Second for Stif Morf. Not too extreme like some others. Just the right side of long, low and slack.

slackman99
    Free Member

Genesis tarn?

zezaskar
    Free Member

Pipedream Moxie, you can’t really go around it when it comes to cutting edge hard tails.

Just be warned, after you fall in love with it’s geometry, you’ll start wondering how amazing a FS with the same geo would be… It took me 3 or 4 months to be in the market for a really long slack FS

kayla1
    Free Member

Switchback- mine does everything I want it to. The only thing that could possibly improve it would be rack mounts 😀

StuF

I went with a Soul, it’s lovely. Really precise steering, feels like you’ve extra time to point the bike exactly where you want it which gives you more speed on the downs without feeling like you’re completely on the limit.

I preferred the Soul to the new SolarisMax, it just felt a bit more manoeuvrable and a bit more of a Goldilocks moment when I sat on it – not too big, not too small but just right. No regrets here 🙂

facian
    Free Member

In the tradition of recommending what you have/had I’d heartily recommend a new BFe, or a current Nukeproof Scout (I had the 290, it was ace and the frames/complete builds are cheap!)

Scout is a bit more ‘all-rounder’ than the BFe, but to be honest I’ve happily done a 72-mile ‘XC’/Bridleway type ride on the BFe complete with 150mm forks and 2.3″ Minions and it never felt out of its element. Super comfy on longer rides. or you can throw it down most things happily along the way.

wl
    Free Member

27.5 Orange P7 is the best hardtail I’ve ridden.  Mad fun but also good for 30+ milers here in the Pennines.  Had mine two years (and ridden two northern winters on it) and it hasn’t missed a beat.  Just replacing the headset and BB bearings now for the first time.

ianpv
    Free Member

My scout 290 (2018) is great – cheap too. It did mean I had to get a new FS as well though, as my old one felt tiny after the scout (and it isn’t that extreme)

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Whyte’s 905 and 909 are up there for me as having been designed with the most attention to detail. Focused on 2.8″ tyres, they’ve been well thought through from the ground up. Perfect for aggro trail riding but with enough finesse to be all rounders.

godzilla
    Free Member

I’ve been loving my P7, got the re issue a couple of years ago, just had the frame warrantied so purchased a new Crush as Sunset are blowing them out, probably going to frame swap.

[url=https://postimages.org/]free image host[/url]

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I really like my Bird Zero TR. A bike that long has no right to be so chuckaboutable.

The downside is that I now think I need a new, similarly-long full-sus.

bruneep

stanton switchback best HT I’ve had

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Another vote for Stanton, though I have a Slackline.

I’ve had various P7, BFe and Souls but the Stanton’s (any really) are head and shoulders above what I had previously, though I do think much of this is due to current sizing/ angles.

tall_martin

Orange clockwork 120 was my answer to this when I went looking for a new hardtail this year.

Fits my 26″ wheels and takes a -2slackset.

Great in the woods, great on 100mile bike packing rides.

With the small wheels it’s got a very low bb, not sure how it would stand up to super rocky trails.

tall_martin
    jonswhite

My P7 that’s in the classifieds 😉

sirromj

I really like my Bird Zero TR. A bike that long has no right to be so chuckaboutable.

Yes.

ajantom

The new(ish) DMR Trailstar?

Bit marmite looks-wise, but I love mine. Plenty long enough, great standover, slack head angle (though not ridiculous), loads of clearance.

Very versatile frame with wheelsize….I’m currently running normal 27.5 tyres (2.4s). But it will take 27.5+/29 wheels easily. I even fitted 29+ wheels as an experiment, and it worked well.

Plus Upgrade cycles are knocking them out at nearly £200 off the rrp. Selling them for £325 last time I looked.

wrecker
    Free Member

Chromag Rootdown BA

I wanted one of these, but no distro in the UK now. Importing from Whistler costs a few quid. Got lucky and grabbed a never ridden Nicolai Argon GLF frame for a decent price. If I hadn’t, I’d be riding a Moxie.

hardtailonly

If you’re on a budget, On One doing the DeeDar (with Eagle GX and a Yari fork) for £999 at the moment.

rocketman
    Free Member

Many thanks folks

Currently looking at Kona Honzo CR Trail & Genesis Mantle 30/20

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Hardtails – long, low & a little bit slack – point me in the right direction pls’ is closed to new replies.