Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • Hardtail- which light but comfy longtravel hardtail?
  • hora
    Free Member

Must be (in order of importance):

Whippy
    Light
    Comfy- springy, not solid rear.

A sort of SC Chameleon without the boxstay rear stays that beats you up.

richc
    Free Member

does it need a good resale value?

tang
    Free Member

Cotic soul

wwaswas

Curtis 🙂

have a look at the Kinesis XC130 and the Decade versa (120mm).

not quite sure how long ‘long travel’ is, tbh.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Depends how long travel you want Mark. My old Soul was all those things and the new ones take 140mm forks. Gave mine a pasting too and never let me down…

Mackem

I like my Chumba HX1. I’ve just changed from a P7, it’s definitely lighter and whippier. More comfortable than you’s expect from an alu frame too. Done a couple of longish rides on it and had no comfort issues at all.

hora
    Free Member

Cotic soul

I briefly had a large Cotic Soul and found it ‘too big’ for me. Should I look at a medium (or even..a small?!) one?

I’m 6ft1/33inside- but prefer shorter top tubes of upto23″ actual MAX.

Does anyone have a medium Cotic that I could have a quick spin on for fit?

honourablegeorge

The Stanton Slackline comes in a 18″ that’s in between a large & a medium Soul.

Scamper
    Free Member

I was after the same thing, and will be ordering my first steel frame (Cotic Soul) in about 10 minutes .

bigbloke
    Free Member

Whyte 19 Trail Steel.

Just gone from full suss to this, love it, very nimble and capable. Has adjustable dropouts that affect wheelbase and angles too, even running singlespeed if thats your bag. 120mm fork standard which i find is ideal for my riding.

binners

It doesn’t matter really though, does it? You’ll only have it a week. What we looking at realistically? One quick run round Calderdale?

richc
    Free Member

I am not sure which bike was next in the sweepstake http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/who-fancies-a-horas-next-bike-sweepstake/

si-wilson
    Free Member

How tall are you?

Chumba HX1?

si-wilson
    Free Member

imo the whole ribbing hora about his bike is a bit done to death now?

hora
    Free Member

Si thats too stiff for me. If it was stiffness that I was after I’d buy a Chameleon again. Thanks tho.

hora
    Free Member

I’d love a ti frame but not the Ti price though 😳

Clobber
    Free Member

Si thats too stiff for me. If it was stiffness that I was after I’d buy a Chameleon again. Thanks tho.

Have you ridden one? If not, that’s a stupid thing to say.

I have one and was very surprised (and pleased) at how compliant and comfortable it is.

wors

I’d be looking at the Slackline, in fact i’m seriously thinking about getting rid of my blue pig for one. Fancy a blue pig?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Charge Duster?

GW
    Free Member

Whippy = short top tube, short stays, tight* H/A, good standover and low(ish) BB (forget longer forks and stems too)
    Light = not steel
    Comfy = MTFU (stand up!)
    springy = down to the rider, a stiffer rear end will actually be more “springy” with the input of a decent rider
    not solid rear = MTFU (choose good lines, go faster, get off the brake and use your legs to absorb rough terrain and you won’t feel so beat up)

*not overly steep but def not overly slack

not what you wanted to hear but it’s the truth.

bigrich

cotic soul here too, somewhat predictably.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Hora….if your referring to the Whyte above its STEEL not Ti 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Slackline weighs circa 5.6lb?

Springy? I rode a Sanderson Life and that was definitely comfy/springy. I keep coming back to this- but thinking of a smaller size.

druidh
    Free Member

Pity you’re not a bit shorter. I’m selling on my Ti Ragley – but it’s in short-arse size.

acjim
    Free Member

carbon 456? light & comfy, not sure I’ve ridden a whippy hardtail since the old skinny steel days

JonR
    Free Member

carbon 456 Looks are a bit shakey but is meant to be nice.

chiefgrooveguru

Cotic Soul. Mine was awesome round Afan on Monday. GW doesn’t seem to understand that a Cotic Soul can be built up plenty light enough, a reasonably slack head angle is a good thing for most riders and you can stand up loads yet still benefit from frame compliance (and big tyres) because the kickback through the pedals is less.

Despite his boring and boorish manner this is true:

“…a stiffer rear end will actually be more “springy” with the input of a decent rider… …choose good lines, go faster, get off the brake and use your legs to absorb rough terrain and you won’t feel so beat up…”

But a more compliant rear end will be yet more springy with that same rider.

hora
    Free Member

I’d like to have a spin on a C456- had a quick one in the carpark on PeterPoddys but he didn’t throw it down Cavedale too quickly 😉

So shortlist

Small or medium Soul
    Sanderson Life (16″)
    C456
    Whyte’s only do a full bike and I’m really after frame only sadly.

wwaswas

hora – I’ll have a medium c456 for sale soon – really good nick (I bought it new and change frames more regularly than you’re reputed to). I’m the same height inside leg as you. mail in profile if you’re interested.

hora
    Free Member

YGM

chiefgrooveguru

The C456 looks great too – long top tube though. I ride a medium Soul which is a great fit at 5’10” but I find the medium 456 a bit too long so I’d have gone for a small one of them.

rossm
    Free Member

Moots YBB?

GW
    Free Member

GW doesn’t seem to understand that a Cotic Soul can be built up plenty light enough

oh, I understand perfectly, but if weight is important to you why bother with a heavy cotic frame when you could have a lighter, stiffer and stronger frame from another brand made from another material? oh, yeah, coz it’s STW and you MUST all have a steel frame from either Cy or Brant to harp on about 🙄

RustySpanner

Druidh, which Ragley and how much?

dickie
    Free Member

20″ Voodoo D-jab Ti frame – £450 to you.

Scamper
    Free Member

My current rockhopper frame is a pretty light 3.3lb, the new soul looks like 4.3lb giving a 24lb bike, so still reasonably light once all the bits are swapped across.

robidoo
    Free Member

I had a cotic soul in size small, I like you like my bikes on the small side but the soul was just a little small tbh.
    I am 5/11 with a 31 inside leg so I think you should look at a medium.
    Great bike the soul, but I now have a Sovereign 😆

highlandman
    Free Member

To a fair extent, it depends what you plan to do with it and how heavy you are. My choice is a Dialled Alpine, still comfy, rewards a confident rider with great handling and some attitude. I’ve ridden both in real hills and found the Cotic was too flexy for rocky terrain. And I’m only 12 stone.

Coyote
    Free Member

oh, yeah, coz it’s STW and you MUST all have a steel frame from either Cy or Brant to harp on about

Nah, my DMR Trailstar rocks!

fathomer

I’ve got a medium Soul if you want ago. I’m in Leicester if thats any good to you?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail- which light but comfy longtravel hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.