Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hardtail – to do it all!
  • normanbates74
    Free Member

HI

IM looking at getting a do it all hardtail and wondered what peoples views are on the following bikes: (Im looking to ride all distances, poss multi day / bikepacking rides – south downs way/ KIng alfred ways type rides, some single track, poss trail centres)

IM 5ft 2 so a bit limited with options;

Ragley Marley
    NUkeproof scout
    Salsa timberjack
    On one Vandal

Thanks

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You describe an xc/bike packing style riding there. Hardly the full gamut to require a do it all hardtail.

A lightweight trail hardtail should do what you’re after.

v7fmp

a trail hardtail sounds like the best option, jack of all trades, master of none. But bloody good fun.

I have a Ragley Big Al and really enjoy it, so the Marley or Scout would be a good choice.

Maybe check out these guys….

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwDvZTTIQ6Qz-xfZ-QXXuSw

they know their HT apples!

abingham

Pipedream Sirius would be a nice choice for the scope detailed, but as @scienceofficer said – lightweight trail/XC hardtail seems sensible for what you want as opposed to LLS ‘modern’ hardtails.

BillOddie

I built up a 29er Scout for my (massive) 11 year old at the backend of last year and I was quite impressed with the quality of the frame, BB faced and threads nicely chased, nice geo etc.

He’s only ridden it a couple of times because winter and 11 year old but he seems happy enough with it.

Another option you don’t have on your list is the Sonder Signal 29er which a small is good down to 5ft2. We have one of those my 13 year old riding and it’s really nice too, bit heavier because it’s steel but he’s really happy with it.

Also…not sure if of any use and slight stealth ad but I have a XS Ragley Blue Pig frame, with suitable RS Rev forks and wheels (Stans rims and Propain hubs) in the garage I need to sell.

Geo is this one: http://ragleybikes.com/products/bluepig-27-5-frame/

Drop me a PM if you want pics or anything.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Ragley big al gets my punt too or marley ..

Ive had P7s Crush 905s and the Al is the best of the bunch by far ,, XC .. all day affairs to steep Lakeland tech its bloody brilliant.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

29er Hardtail in steel. Cotic Solaris, PACE, Stanton, Orange…Budget/Availability will be your biggest deciding factor

vmgscot

Not sure if suitable but I leant my OnOne Big Dog to a bikepacking friend recently for a trip. She normally rides a gravel bike but was heading into rougher terrain.. A bit heavy, but she found the ride a lot more comfier. She also preferred the rear rack (Big Dog has rack mounts) than various ‘strap-ons’ that bikepackers seem to favour.

alan1977
    Free Member

IMHO, the scout and vandal are bit more on the aggresive side than the others listed. They would definitiley be fine for general purpose riding, but you seem to mention a lot more distance riding than trail centre type stuff ,so id be aiming for something à little slacker in the seat and steeper in the HT with a comfy frame.
    That being said, ive got a Sonder Signal TI i’d be happy to ride on long rides and thats creeping on to the aggresive side of things. But personally, im looking at a +1 bike to build up light, and use for commuting or longer rides, and considering something a long the lines of a Sonder frontier, aimed more at epic rides, although i dont know how forgiving the frame is.

matt_outandabout

Any HT will be able to do that. The balance is what appeals most – light, comfy, burly, stable, flighty?

I would ask what the local shop sells brand wise?

My Marin is that Do It All ride – more than happy with it even 4 years after purchase.

Trek, Giant and Marin tend to make nice smaller frames in our experience.

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/matt_outandabout/3Q3gL4]Snowy commute – Marin Nail Trail 7[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23imPEn]Marin Nail Trail 7 at Comrie[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

petedee
    Free Member

Specialized Chisel frame and build on it. My current gravel / trail park / all day cruncher. Favourite bike I’ve had.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail – to do it all!’ is closed to new replies.