• This topic has 9 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by headsup-spam.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hardtail on the Alps?
  • Deevass
    Free Member

I’m an intermediate rider and am looking to get back into cycling after some time off the bike. I ride XC and Singletrack but don’t do drops and anything massively technical. Want to book a trip to the Alps next year and go on some guided Singletrack days, do I really need a full suss or can I stick with my steel 120mm forked steed?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hardtail is fine

jameso

Nah, not really. FS is nice but I had loads of fun in the Chamonix area on a 120-130mm fork hardtail. Good brakes and tyres, shorter stm / wider bar helps but if you’d ride it in the Lakes / Wales it’s fine in the Alps.

Usual HT vs FS arguments apply.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jedi

i have only ridden chamonix on full suss 3 times out of 12 trips

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Hardtail be fine!!

alpin
    Free Member

you’ll get on fine with a HT….

i ride almost every (other) week in the alps and guide transalp tours in summer. i never feel as though i needed a FS.

fähigkeiten statt federweg

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Fine on a hardtail, though watch for arm pump… that said, with steel, you should be a bit more damped.

tyredbiker
    Free Member

All the guides seem to use hardtails, I did myself and found it was fine, I had no mechanical woes despite having the cheapest bike by far, whilst everyone else’s were falling to pieces!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hardtail’s fine, full sus is a bit less punishing but not much if youre riding it properly 🙂

Deevass
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I kinda thought as much

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail on the Alps?’ is closed to new replies.