Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hardtail frames for 12 y old and me
  • mattjevans
    Free Member

Looking to buy two hardtail frames (new but budget) for my son (12, 5’3 ish and growing obviously). Want frames as I essentially have 2 almost full part sets in the shed.

Ideally I’d get him something 26″ and myself 650b (again because thats the wheels I have) but I’m not averse to the other way around as the priority is to sort him out, as I have a cross bike I can ride with him.

650b options not too difficult (45650b, 2016 Rayley 14″ on CRC cheap though sizing suggestion seems odd on the 14″) but struggling to find 26″ options. Might be a hiding to nothing. Maybe a 45650b with a 160 fork.

Thoughts?

TomB

I struggled to find a new 14″ frame in 26″ wheel flavour, ended up with a 27.5 cube frame from bike discount and used 26″ wheels and fork on it with no issues.

DezB
    Free Member

My son’s just moved from a 26″ to a 29er, not much taller, if at all. 650b would be fine for a 5’3er I reckon. [edit]because thats the wheels I have. Sorry, slow of thinking this morning!
    Boardman frames come up on eBay a fair bit – very light and great for youngsters. There’s a new looking 26″ Pro Carbon for £19 on there now. QUICK! (from China though 😉 )

ads678

26″ inbred or 456?

Or 45650b with 26″ wheels.

DezB
    Free Member

Steel? Too heavy, I reckon. I wouldn’t get hung up on new – about the only new 26″ frames are Chinese carbon jobs (not that there’s anything wrong with them). Find something off the classifieds in nice condition (or ebay).

mattjevans
    Free Member

I’m under pressure from the wife to get on with it in respect of his bike so prefer to look new rather than wait for the right frame to come up in the classifieds (which would otherwise be my preference).

Any thoughts on Dartmoor Hornet ?

kraken2345
    Free Member

For some reason this thread has me thinking of this scene when you get them sorted…

mattjevans
    Free Member

I know I should, but no idea what that is from…

brassneck

Hornet goes down to 15″ only – not sure if this is a ‘small 15’ or not.

I have a 15″ skinny Duster waiting for one of mine to grow a bit, he’s on a 14″ Cannondale and they look a fair bit different.

stormtrooper
    Free Member

@TomB – YGM

winstonmcfail
    Free Member

Personally, I think when buying frames for my kid then a direct form China carbon frame is perfectly fine, and of course a good bit more affordable. For me, not so much but for him.. why not?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail frames for 12 y old and me’ is closed to new replies.