Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Hardtail for winter/gravel duties?
  • cogglepin

I’m thinking of selling the Tempest and getting a 29” hardtail which will get used for gravel duties and the mucky months and save the full suss. So I’m looking at carbon ( cos I like it ), mainly XC riding and about 2k. Any suggestions greatly received! Tia.

13thfloormonk

That new Voodoo at Halfords?

Looks awesome, I’m very happy with my Superfly if I choose it for gravel rides, so a lighter carbon version like the Voodoo Bizango looks ideal 👍

ta11pau1

Plenty of hardtails for that sort of money, depending how slack/modern on the geometry and how much travel you want.

I built a winterproof hardtail that with a swap of wheels does summer gravel duties, it was a little bit more than 2k though… *Whistles 🤣

ton

Tim, Specialized Chisel. forget the cheap plastic stuff. get something a bit nicer.

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/chisel/p/199640?color=319921-199640

cogglepin

That Chisel looks nice Ton, is that what you have now? The Voodoo looks good as well. I shall have a good look round over the next few days and see what’s out there.

cogglepin

Btw, don’t mind second hand.

Kuco

I really like my Chisel, great ride but they’re not the best deal around spec wise.

superstu
    Free Member

Chisel frame would be great but the spec on that for £2k is horrible

Kuco

Yep, wished I went frame only as I swapped half of it out.

matt_outandabout

I have always like the idea of Trek’s IsoSpeed on the ProCaliber – it seems a comfy way of having a quick HT.

Mrs_OAB had a superfly and it was an ace wee thing, only usurped by her desire to go FS with the rocky rides locally.

hooli

I’ve had a winter hardtail for years and my advice is to try and find the sweet spot between something nice enough that you will want to ride it but not so nice, new and shiny that you will worry about riding it in the winter.

It’s one less reason for me to not go out in the winter when it is cold, wet and dark.

I also run the same drivetrain on my nice bike as the hardtail so I can always borrow a part if I need it and the hardtail gets the hand-me-downs. If either bike needs a need chain and cassette, the new stuff goes on the nice bike and the part worn on the hardtail.

spyke85
    Free Member

I got a BMC TwoStroke 01 – just the one with Deore and Judy’s for this exact thing – abolsutely love it!

intheborders
    Free Member

Save half your money and just get an On One Scandal.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve had a winter hardtail for years and my advice is to try and find the sweet spot between something nice enough that you will want to ride it but not so nice, new and shiny that you will worry about riding it in the winter.

It’s one less reason for me to not go out in the winter when it is cold, wet and dark.

This is why I think everyone should own at least one single speed.

Doesn’t need to be rubbish, can be something really bling if you want. But the crucial factor is the moving parts should all be either cheap or reliable. Forget XT bottom brackets, it’s Deore or Chris King only. Either it needs to be so cheap to maintain that you don’t care about how bad conditions are, or so reliable that you never have to maintain it regardless.

That way as long as you invest in warm/dry riding kit there isn’t any excuse not to be going out even in awful conditions.

cp

I’d go fully rigid along these lines:-

One One Whippet, currently £1100. Spec the carbon flat bar (or riser if you feel the need in cusomisation options)
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOWHSX/on-one-whippet-sram-sx-mountain-bike

The add some nice Superstar wheels for £119 with code 66wheelset (You need the Shimano freehub for compatiblity with the above whippet). Sell or spare the OEM wheels.
    https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/element-v6-wheelset-uk-made-hubs.htm

Then a pair of nobby nics for £34 to lose a chunk of weight off the OEM tyres on the PX.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-nobby-nic-performance-addix-folding-mtb-tyre-29-81521.html

Total £1253 for a very light very fast winter proof bike 🙂

cogglepin

I was thinking about fully rigid to be fair, the idea definitely appeals. More ideas to ponder.

cp

I was thinking about fully rigid to be fair, the idea definitely appeals

I think they make a really nice complement to full sus as it’s a very different ride experience – very engaging but far more versatile than a gravel bike IMO and almos zero maintenance. I have a full rigid Trek with carbon forks and a slackened Kona HeiHei DL Trail FS – they complement each other very well. The rigid bike gets ridden and put straight away with a wipe and re lube of the chain. simple evening winter bike rides without the faff.

cp

Why would anyone not buy one of these?

depends what you want from your winter bike I guess, but for a slack HT that’s hard to beat. The forks are fairly naff though IMO.

djflexure

Just built up a SH carbon Stache for the same sort of riding and enjoying it. Light, loads of clearance for mud and guards. Using it with a rigid Travers fork on muddy BWs and canals. Was even contemplating doing the Dirty reiver on it instead of my gravel/ winter bike.

Kuco

have always like the idea of Trek’s IsoSpeed on the ProCaliber – it seems a comfy way of having a quick HT.

The Chisel replaced a Proclaiber that I sold a while ago, while not quite as comfy as the Trek with ISO speed it’s not far off in ride quality.

This is why I think everyone should own at least one single speed

In the Peak? 🤣

Yeah there are superhumans who can ride them anywhere, but sod that where I live and I’m only at the lowly Derbyshire Dales end of the White Peak

cp

Go with these tyres, bit more money but great for a winter/gravel IME unless you live somewhere super muddy.

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-addix-racing-ralph-performance-tlr-x-country-folding-tyre-122067.html

iainc

I was looking for similar last year, pondered over the Spesh Chisel and Vitus Rapide. In fact I had even ordered the Spesh before changing my mind and going for a Giant Fathom 29er. The standard spec is decent enough and very good VFM :

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/fathom-29-1

I did upgrade the drivetrain and dropper to AXS, and brakes to slx, but that was just a personal choice thing.

cp

In fact I had even ordered the Spesh before changing my mind and going for a Giant Fathom 29er.

Quite a different bike to the Chisel and Rapide!

iainc

^^^^ not really IMO, a shortish travel, fairly light, conservative geo alloy HT

tuboflard

This is why I think everyone should own at least one single speed
    In the Peak? 🤣

Yeah there are superhumans who can ride them anywhere, but sod that where I live and I’m only at the lowly Derbyshire Dales end of the White Peak

I’m edge of the Peak (near Blackamoor) and ride my singlespeed a lot round here. I’m far from super fit, and need to push on some hills, but most things are rideable if you are sensible with route choice.

Singlespeeds are the way to go for winter riding. Quick hose down and chain clean and they’re good to go again.

cp

not really IMO, a shortish travel, fairly light, conservative geo alloy HT

Fathom – weight off the front, slack, 130mm forks, heavy/draggy/grippy tyres (1325g REAR, 2238g FRONT!!!!!!), solid wheels

Chisel/Rapide – fast xc, more forward biased riding position, 100mm forks, lighter wheels, light tyres (chisel’s are 670g each – HALF the Fathom’s rear tyre and almost a quarter a weight of the front tyre on the Fathom).

Pretty different IMO.

Chisel and Rapide more akin the OP’s ‘gravel’ suggestion IMO.

cp

edge of the Peak (near Blackamoor) and ride my singlespeed a lot round here

Good effort!

tuboflard

If I were in the market for a winter bike I’d be looking at something like this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Unit-MTB-Hardtail-Steel-Single-Speed-/284970357403?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Apart from where it needs collecting from it’s a bargain IMO. Sliding drop outs so can go gears if you wanted, will take a suspension fork as well. And you’d have a lot of change still from a £2k budget.

ta11pau1

Quick hose down and chain clean

That’s 2 steps too many for me for a winter bike 😁

Finish ride, hang bike up.
    PXL_20220109_121138016

stanley

Finish ride, hang bike up.

That’s one step too many for me for a Winter bike 🙂

faustus

As great value and versatile as the Kona Unit is, and even though geometry is similar, it’s not quite the same as the other XC bikes suggested. I’ve got a Unit X and love many things about it, but the one thing it isn’t, is light and whippy in the way i’d like an XC bike to be. Mine’s built up with a mix of old XTR/SLX/XT and I think i’d need to go for some pretty light wheels to make it feel fleet-footed for speedy XC. Even then it wouldn’t feel as nimble as some others mentions, I think. Having said that, it is ideal for doing a bit of anything all year round, but i’ve been keeping half an eye on XC frames with similar geometry, but in a lighter package – hence interest in this thread!

cogglepin

I would be quite happy to just have one offroad bike and a road bike but does a do it all bike exist for off road duties? I ride trail centres, a lot of XC and Gravel.

steve_b77
    Free Member

@cogglepin one yo do everything,I’d say a 100mm XC biased 29er FS will do the lot of XC, gravel type duties (tyres more key here) and trail centres easily.

cogglepin

Right, I shall have a look at those as well.

crossed

Currently looking for something similar to the OP.

Can anyone tell me what rear tyre clearance is like on the Vitus, Procaliber or the Chisel?

jake123
    Free Member

I have a procaliber.
    I can measure up later if you are still after it?

crossed

Thanks for the offer but I’ve decided to stick with the current frame instead of replacing it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.