Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hardtail for riding quickly all day
  • jonba

I’m about to retire my parkwood. Bit of maintenance today and I realised why the tubeless failed on my rear wheel. Big crack in the rim 🙁 The drive chain needs to be replaced, the tyres, cables and I wanted a dropper post.

Makes little sense to throw that much money at a well used 5 year old bike so I’ve been looking at newer ones.

I’m after a real do it all. Fast miles on easy moorland through to more technical and steep stuff. I could probably get away with a 100mm 29er if it was slack but I’m struggling to find anything. Once you go slack you end up in the 130mm for range and a big increase in weight to boot.

I’ve hovering over the Vitus Sentier 29 vrx but before I buy it is there something else I should consider at around £1500

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Define “slack”

jonba

XC slack, so not a chopper but not a race bike either.

Parkwood is 68deg I think so that or a little less.

bsims

Boardman Pro 29er? No dropper though. Friend has a 2016 and really likes it.
    edit : Its now called an MHT 8.9

Premier Icon danti
    Subscriber

Titus Fireline which is what the Parkwood was based on but, add a 1 to 2 degree slack angle headset

Premier Icon didnthurt
    Subscriber

I’m interested in this one too, I had a similar set of requirements in 2018 and bought a short travel full sus 29er instead which is good but in hindsight should have got a lighter 29er hardtail.

Premier Icon boxelder
    Subscriber

SH Cotic Solaris on ebay…..
    What about a Pinnacle Ramin in their sale – budget left for lighter wheels/tyres

taxi25

Does it have to be new ? If your ok with S/H I can reccomend what ive got obviously 😉 A Transition Vanquish would suit your needs perfectly. This one on ebay gives you an idea of whats out there.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233483392161

Orange Clockwork?

h4muf

V2 Scandal 29er.

🔥

Premier Icon Clink
    Subscriber

Trek Procaliber?
    Specialized Chisel?

monty777

Sonder Signal Ti? Only had mine for 3 weeks but loving it.

devash

I think Boardman do a very light alloy HT 29er with 120mm forks and slackish 68.5 or 68 degree head angle. I looked at one in Halfords a few years back. Sub-£1k with Reba forks and 12 speed SRAM.

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=165499&productId=1552429&storeId=10001

aldo56

A parkwood sounds like the ideal bike for you… Get it fixed! You can pick up full Shimano group sets on Ali Express for very little cash.

The Titus Fireline is a great bike – very nicely made frame and extremely light.
    Size up, saddle forward, use a 120mm fork and a short stem should give you the geometry/travel you need.

My recommendation for £1500 to do what you describe

Second hand blingy carbon race bike (1 or 2 years old) and an angle set and dropper.

trailtom

Voodoo Bizango Carbon 120mm travel? £1000 from Halfords, You can then spend the other £500 on a dropper and whatever else you want.

Voodoo Bizango

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Aye, stick with the Parkwood, great versatile bike,

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

This just popped up in my Facebook feed, Radon Cragger.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-cragger-8.0-912882?currency=3&delivery_country=190

130mm travel, maybe a little slack but for £1750 at the current exchange rate its a very decent spec (dt swiss wheels, GX eagle, DVO forks).

Premier Icon stevemorg2
    Subscriber

If you are considering S/H I think I’ve decided to sell my hardly used 2017 Clockwork 29er – Hope on Stans Flow wheels, 120mm Fox forks (100m airshaft also available), 3x 10 SLX gears, thomson stem and seat post
    Built it up for bike packing but don’t use it enough ATM – have probably ridden it 4 times in the last 6 months
    Looking for @£900 – can sort some pics out if you want

jonba

The big names all seem to have holes in the spec somewhere (as normal). Not interested in second hand at this point.

The Cragger looks very interesting. It’s probably a tyre change and a tubeless conversion away from being ok to race*.

Also making it onto the list were the Vitus Sentier 29 VRX and the Grand Canyon Al 9.0.

damascus

What’s your budget?

jfb01

Nordest BritangoTR. https://nordestcycles.com/en/product/britango-tr-frame
    By A happy coincidence , I am selling my 2 month old frame (LOL) on pinkbike
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2707380/ They are definitely worth taking a look at.I think the geometry would suit your purpose,if you are happy with steel frames.

Premier Icon vondally
    Subscriber

About to put up a
    Whyte 29c – torq race frame bought unused, carbon frame with 120mm Dt Swiss forks, hope xc wheelset new xt cranks double, slx derailleurs and shifters, SRAM 10- 42 cassette.
    Total miles less than 200.
    Selling due to illness.

For a super fast bike that is light and capable have a look at these.

Premier Icon Clink
    Subscriber

^ Whyte seem to have stopped making these or updating to new model – shame.

Premier Icon vondally
    Subscriber

Agreed Clink, but they were long and a goodxc geometry.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.