Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Hardtail for a youngster
  • hooli

My sister called me last night to ask for some advice on buying a bike for my nephew, she had her eye on something in Halfords for £120. I let her know that it possibly wasn’t the best idea but she still wants to keep the cost down, £250 to £300 if possible.

My nephew has just turned 12 and not the biggest kid, she said he has pretty much outgrown a knackered 24″ wheeled Ridgeback so I am assuming he will be an adult framed small. He is around 150cm so that looks about right on the size charts.

For my kids I tend to buy 2nd hand, give them a good strip down and tidy up. I also don’t mind servicing the bikes and replacing anything that needs it but as I don’t live near her to help, she would prefer to have something new or nearly.

Before I convince her 2nd hand is the way to go and start scouring ebay and pinkbike, what are the options for new? Are the Calibre entry level hardtails any good? £250 to 300 gets an ally frame and mechanical disc brakes. Evans have a Norco Storm for £350, that comes with some slightly better components than the Calibre. GT have the Aggressor too.

Anybody have any experience on any of those or have anything else that comes to mind?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/kids-bikes/voodoo-nzumbi-mountain-bike-26-wheel is considered a decent spec, especially at the “trade-in” price of £320.

hooli

Good shout, I had missed the Voodoo. Thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail for a youngster’ is closed to new replies.