• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by reeksy.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • hardtail for a 10 year old that isn’t for racing XC
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hiya, on the hunt for a trail type hardtail to the boy. He is 150cm so looking at small frame, 27.5 wheels, or indeed 26″.

All the new bikes i have seen are very XC, 68, 69 degree head angles and so on.   Any other brands i shoulkd be looking for… or am i over thinking it. I got halg decent on old zaskars and rockhoppers with old school geo 🙂

Budget around 700 euros, i’m not in the UK so second hand is a bit harder

chiefgrooveguru

I got my daughter who’s currently 145cm tall a Vitus Nucleus VRW small. They’ve got a decent selection of affordable trail hardtails: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=vitus+nucleus&cat=direct

I’m changing the cranks for shorter ones and I’ve put on some narrower flatter bars I had, plus a 100m dropper.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

ta , have seen those, sold out i’m afraid, but hopefully back in stock soon

snotrag

Have a look at some of the more ‘progressive’ manufacturers of grown up bikes – Canyon, YT, Orbea, Commencal etc – I havent got the specific but some of them do some pretty mega looking kids hardtails.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

cheers @snotrag, have looked but most are approx three times my budget . Canyon has something but is very XC

ButtonMoon

My oldest girls is 150cm, age 11. She rides a Whyte 403 and it fits her perfectly (imo). I’ve made a few upgrades, mainly the fork & brakes.

LimboJimbo

It might open up your options to look at an angle adjust headset to lengthen the wheelbase and drop the BB at tad. It certainly made a difference to my old Solaris when paired with a wider bar and shorter stem. Just avoid straight steerers and you should find something suitable.

DrP

Specialized pitch….

In fact… I’ve a frame that’ll fit him in my garage….
    You in the UK?

DrP

squirrelking
    Free Member

i’m not in the UK

@drp
    😉

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

My eldest is on a White 906 or maybe an 806 extra small. Not sure what the geometry is but she likes it for shredding.

DrP

I read about 60% of what my eyes see,tbh…. 😂😂😂😵‍💫

DrP

dirkpitt74

How about the Nukeproof Cub Scout 26 – frame only is about £160 from CRC.
    Get the other bits you need and build it up.

Edit – just noticed they’ve sold out of the previous frame…….

bikerevivesheffield

Xs ragley mmmbop

zerocool

Vitus or Nukeproof Scout?

reeksy

+1 for the NP Scout. Mate’s daughter is a weapon on hers.

My lads have had a Trek Marlin that was upgraded with an air fork and dropper.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.