Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Hardtail build – Soul or Chameleon?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

I’m going to buy a new hardtail frame to build with all the spare bits I have accumulated over the years.
    Can’t decide between the Mk 3 Soul or a new style Chameleon with the ‘normal’ length TT.
    Any thoughts?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have you ridden both? I’d probably maybe possibly go Chamy.

ska-49
    Free Member

I’d go Chameleon personally. Lighter and has the adjustable dropouts. I also love the tennis ball yellow.. The sizing suits me better too.

zelak999
    Free Member

I can’t work out if I like the tennis ball yellow or not.
    It’s frickin loud that’s for sure!

MrGFisher
    Free Member

Just posted in another Chameleon thread on here.. I have just built up the new version as i wanted a versatile, fun hard tail. What swung it for me was the changeable dropouts if you want to run SS and also you can get a 650b in the rear.

I went for blue as i have a Vit P Mojo HD and the yellow was too similar to that and also the blue is really nice in the flesh.

Northwind

Stiff or not stiff? Matter of taste this. If you don’t get on with the basic character then it’s not going to work out. I’d say Soul but then I really dislike stiff hardtails, lots of people would say the exact opposite.

ska-49 – Member

I’d go Chameleon personally. Lighter

New Chameleon is claiming 4.7lbs for a medium, old eccentric one was 5lbs-ish. Mk3 Soul is claimed 4.4lbs for the medium. (it’s not a very fair comparison, the Chameleon needs to accomodate the bigger wheels and is warrantied for longer forks)

binners

Everyone should own a chameleon at some point. They’re bloody brilliant!!!!

elliott-20
    Free Member

^ this

😀

matther01
    Free Member

In my experience alu means sore arse, steel equals comfort. My Soul has been brilliant and resale value will also be good…but she’s never being sold!

matt_outandabout

In my experience (poorly built) alu means sore arse, (poorly built) steel equals comfort sore arse as well.

FTFY
    I think it is far more about frame design, tyres and seatposts.

zelak999
    Free Member

@MrGFisher what size frame is that?

sprocker
    Free Member

First ride on my new bfe today felt really good bit nicer on the rear than the chameleon s I have had , soul is a bit softer again depends what you are after.

mobes
    Free Member

Went from a chameleon to a soul last year. While I loved the chameleon for messing around on, the soul is a bit longer in the top tube and definitely more comfortable on longer rides

MrGFisher
    Free Member

Zelak, its a medium.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

soul all the way its alot more comfy !

faceplanter
    Free Member

Everyone should own a chameleon at some point. They’re bloody brilliant!!!!

So true,
    I don’t ride mine anymore but would never let it go. Kept the frame as a medal of four years of great countrywide mountain biking 😆
    Tim.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve had three Chameleons and all have been a hoot. My only issue is the pigmy top tubes. The last one was a large and it fitted really well and was still ok for mucking about in the woods in (jumps, drops and short DH runs) but was still good for longer rides.

The ride is quite harsh (more so than my Sub Zero that I had before), but not too bad. My BFe is quite harsh too. I was OK doing some big rides on the Chameleon though even with an I beam post and an I fly saddle.

Not ridden a Soul, so can’t compare. Either way, both are nice bikes so you can’t go wrong.

accu
    Free Member

Either way, both are nice bikes so you can’t go wrong.

+1

waller
    Free Member

I’ve got both and would choose the chameleon easily over the soul which I was a bit disappointed in to tell the truth.

I don’t find the chameleon harsh at the rear however I find the soul dead and sluggish in feel. Just my own opinion though. Everyone is different and all that jazz.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Owned both (multiple Chameleons). If I wanted another all day more XC-ey style bike I’d get a Soul. Took me a while to get used to it but it was a great bike. The Chameleon on the other hand is a case of jumping on and you’re instantly popping wheelies and looking for stuff to jump off. A very different beast (the older ones anyway, I don’t have any experience of the new Chameleon). I’d say the Chameleon is more of a BFe type bike.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail build – Soul or Chameleon?’ is closed to new replies.