• This topic has 34 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kja78.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Hardtail £1000-£1500
  • peter1979
    Free Member

Hi

Looking for ideas for decent trail focuses hardtail budget as title says but would prefer the lower end if possible.
    Requirements are needs decent as possible air fork. Dropper post. If possible would prefer Shimano groupset.
    In stock and available now.

Bikes I’ve considered so far
    Trek Rosco -looks nice
    On one big Dave (SRAM groupset tho) – not sure if any good
    Vitus sentier- not keen on looks

I’m 5’10” and generally ride medium size on most brands.

chrisdw
    Free Member

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/DBCL9999980/on-one-scandal-gx—medium—orange?gclid=CjwKCAjw9suYBhBIEiwA7iMhNDUa0NPCrM2Qthhx2cvd38Uppc6ALE-Sbk3zyB7cSywBnEFAHz7behoC5pgQAvD_BwE#DBCL9999980

Or for new one…

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOSCGX/on-one-scandal-sram-gx-mountain-bike

Hard to look past on one for the price considering the spec. Wheels are a bit heavy but sealed bearings and GX kit for that price is great.

The hello Dave is a good bike, definitely shines on steeps though. It’s not the most exciting or the lightest for flatter pedally stuff. I’ve got one!

joebristol

New Voodoo Bizango Pro – £1000 and a good build – just need to add a dropper bit plenty left in your budget for that – pick up a brand x / one up and you’re set.

joebristol

Would defo take the scandal over the hello dave mentioned above.

peter1979
    Free Member

Neither of those new bikes in stock at the moment except the demo scandal. Although to be honest, as good a spec it might be, I’d just prefer a Shimano set up.

Thanks so far though. The voodoo looks good spec when it comes back in.

droplinked

On one are launching a new bike soon, the Huntsman which I like the look of.

Canyon stoic looks good. If the budget can be stretched, the Stoic 4 is good spec.

Nukeproof Scout, Ragley Big Wig, or Big Al might fit the bill too.

Some Sonder bikes would probably be good options too.

tuboflard

Slightly over budget but very good value and a great bike (I’ve got one).

https://shop.drovercycles.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes/2021-ragley-big-wig-29-inch-hardtail-mountain-bike-in-graphite-silver__8535

Or see if you can find a Big Al in stock somewhere.

teenrat

Have you had a look at sonder bikes?

damascus
    Free Member

Although to be honest, as good a spec it might be, I’d just prefer a Shimano set up.

Just try and buy a frame only deal and then buy a brand x dropper and shimano gears etc.

If your XL this is a bargain

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ragley-big-al-hardtail-frame-raspberry-grey/rp-prod205343?gs=1&sku=sku834647&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=CjwKCAjw9suYBhBIEiwA7iMhNFNjw5mjhy0byZbEYUuK-AwLqlk3YQWYa4Z5GspL2nH9_auXPz0mdxoCUFYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or buy a scandal and then strip the bits you don’t want and sell them.

superstu
    Free Member

Nukeproof scout in wheel size of your choice

Whyte 901 (905 is just out of budget but well worth it if you could stretch or find a discount)

That ragley up there is good but I’d prefer the big al

freddiest

Leisure lakes bikes have orbea laufeys on offer at the moment. Absolute rippers and within budget. I’m tempted myself.

escrs
    Free Member

Sonder Signal ST just scraps under budget, has 1×12 deore groupset, dropper post and a RockShox Recon Silver RL fork

Signal St Deore

If your budget could be stretched £400 more to £1899 you could get the same spec but with a Ti frame

Signal Ti Deore

peter1979
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Really I’m looking at lower end of budget, as this is just a bike for use when out riding with my wife, who will really only ride tame trails.
    I’m 5’10” so medium frame.

phil5556

Sonder had an ex demo sale on a few days ago, don’t know if they’ve got any left but might be worth a look.

tuboflard

The Laufey is a good suggestion. Good geometry and Deore group set, could upgrade the fork in future and it would be a great trail bike. In stock in M.

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/bikes/hardtail-mountain-bikes/orbea-laufey-h30-hardtail-mountain-bike-2022-sand__372438

freddiest

I would think a large at 5’10. Maybe that’s just me.

chestrockwell

Orange Crush 29er? Shimano gears, Rockshox fork and within budget when you apply the extra 10%. They have a 650b in large as well. Highly recommend Sunset, they’ve always been ace with me.

https://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=10395&category_id=21

iainc

Giant Fathom 29, 1

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/fathom-29-1

I have one, have upgraded drivetrain, dropper and brakes, but it’s a great bike in standard spec

deviant
    Free Member

Go second hand at that budget – I know everything is more expensive at the moment but a few years ago a £1000 hardtail came with a decent fork – now they’re sticking second tier Recon & Judys on them and asking for more than a grand…it’s a piss take.

£1000 on eBay this evening will get you pretty much whatever hardtail you want and it’ll be well specced as the previous owner probably paid 2k to get one with a decent fork.

joebristol

When the bizango pro goes back into stock you get a RS 35 Gold which is pretty decent for the money and much better than a recon silver. Moco damping and 35mm stanchions with an air spring. Vitus get in a z2 for a touch more which is similar to a 34 rhythm – albeit without replaceable bushes which some people have had issues with.

Secondhand should get a better spec as long as you know what to look for / what you’re buying – but it’s buyer beware.

ampthill

Scandal I wouldn’t be out off by it being SRAM

There are a few threads but it’s clearly a good all round hard tail. Budget for a dropper and better tyres

My experience of sram is that the bottom bracket is a pain. The shifting isn’t amazing but Shimano 12 speed is apparently not trouble free either

ampthill

That Crush

It’s reduced and still £500 North of a grand for a turn key damper for and Deore

Honestly Planet X are really helping people get onto the trails

dafoj
    Free Member

I’d definitely recommend the Orbea Laufey, loving mine, great on local trails and even a bit of bike park

peter1979
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Looks like I may have to pause the idea for now and revisit a bit later on.
    Out with the family for a local ride yesterday and it’s clear that my 9 year old daughter needs a new bike as her 20 inch wheeled bike is way too small for her! 😫
    That and we won’t get 4 bikes in the boot so also need a bike rack.

intheborders
    Free Member

Really I’m looking at lower end of budget, as this is just a bike for use when out riding with my wife, who will really only ride tame trails.

Does your wife actually care who makes the gears?

peter1979
    Free Member

No she probably doesn’t know the difference. But the bike isn’t for her.

continuity
    Free Member

Christ you get some shit brand new for £1500. Go onto pinkbike you’ll find a boutique carbon Pivot LES with X01/XX1, Fox Factory and a set of full carbon wheels for £1500 asking.

I just don’t understand how anyone can seriously look at something like that, then go and buy a Voodoo Bizango…

joebristol

Christ you get some shit brand new for £1500. Go onto pinkbike you’ll find a boutique carbon Pivot LES with X01/XX1, Fox Factory and a set of full carbon wheels for £1500 asking.

I just don’t understand how anyone can seriously look at something like that, then go and buy a Voodoo Bizango

New / shiny / warranty in the main. Plus pretty up-to-date geometry. Bizango Pro is £1k and actually gets an ok fork and gears in it – as do the Vitus bikes.

continuity
    Free Member

I mean it gets a 35 Gold; it’s not garbage but I’m not sure it’s entirely comparable. It’s like someone asking if I’d prefer an F-Type R with 30k on the clock or a new Toyota GT86 for the same money.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Sick Hello Dave?

the-muffin-man

Why do you need a new bike to go out on rides with the wife?

Just ride what you already have.

didnthurt

I’d not get a Hello Dave if I was you. It’s brilliant at riding steep trails but feels odd on more XC trails due to the incredibly slack head angle, even after owning mine for nearly a year I still have to adjust to it after riding my other bikes.

Look at the usual budget bike brands trail bike offerings like:
    – Sonder
    – Ribble
    – Vitus
    – Planet X

As for gears, I’ve had GX on two bikes for a number of years and have not experienced any major issues, in fact GX chains and cassettes last better than other Shimano offerings I’ve used. I do prefer the two way shift and two up shifts with one action of the Shimano stuff but happy with the GX shifter. I’ve read that the Shimano 12 speed shifters are compatible with eagle so you could always just swap the shifter.

didnthurt

Why do you need a new bike to go out on rides with the wife?

Do you even need an excuse to buy a new bike? 😂

kja78
    Free Member

GT Zaskar? Elite can be had for around £900 and the Expert for £1300. I’m about the same height as you and tried a medium in my lbs and it felt right.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.