Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Harden Moor test drilling for quarry extension
  • Simon

Just pedalled back from work in Haworth via Harden Moor and the below notice was displyed on the gate onto the moor.
    Be a shame if the extension goes ahead.

I’ve had a quick Google but I can’t find any more info.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If I’m interpreting that right it’s the big section of common land where most people park?

That would be bad if they got it granted! Back in the day I did an mtb race that was essentially in that zone

darrenspink
    Free Member

Mmm, thats not good.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

That proposed bit will take a MASSIVE chunk out the top end of the moor 🙁

Mugboo

Noooooo!

Simon

It’d be a sad day for many people if the extension got the go ahead.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How can we object to it ? Ie is there a link we can share to sign a petition etc, or council we need to lobby?

Nipper99
    Free Member

If it’s on common land the developer will still need consent under s38 of the commons act 2006, even if pp is granted then it doesn’t mean the extension is a certainty.

ninfan
    Free Member

If it’s on common land the developer will still need consent under s38 of the commons act 2006, even if pp is granted then it doesn’t mean the extension is a certainty.

This – the s38 process is very robust and well run.

Simon

Sounds promising.
    The moor is an open access area and I always assumed that Bradford council owned it.
    The land for the extension has old quarry workings on it, makes for a good MTB play ground 🙂

ninfan
    Free Member

Just looking on Magic, the land appears to be CROW access land, but not Registered Common

It’s possible that the council own the land but not the mineral rights.

Quarry extension looks complex, as I’m not sure if there’s a process to delist land ceded in perpetuity as access and in order to permit quarrying.

Simon

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2006/10/27/miliband-marks-right-to-roams-first-birthday?printview=1

From the above article:-
    “The RA is now stepping up its campaign for a right of access to England and Wales’s coastline.

Less than five miles from the site of the minister’s visit, campaigners have won the first stage of a battle to stop a quarry company extending into CRoW access land.
    Bradford Council’s Shipley area committee refused to grant permission for Midgeham
    Cliffe End Quarry to sink test bore holes with a view to using Harden Moor to quarry Yorkshire gritstone. The company wants to buy the land from the council. The committee passed the decision on to the council’s full executive with a recommendation that it note the strong public opposition to the quarry’s proposals”

I wonder what’s changed in the meantime?

Entonox
    Free Member

Pages 16 – 19 of this document make interesting reading.

Landscape Character Supplementary Planning Document – Wilsdon

I wonder Simon. It was canned in 2006. How has it been approved now? Was there another petition?

Yorkshire Post article.

Telegraph and Argus article.

singletrackkane
    Free Member

There is a campaign ongoing acting against these plans.

The Facebook page:

(https://www.facebook.com/groups/1064851260205759/?fref=ts)

Once Bradford council give permission (hopefully in the next couple of days), there will be an e-petition up on the council site.

neilthewheel

Puts people grumbling about mountain bikes causing erosion into their proper perspective :-S

Simon
    darrenspink
    Free Member

Ta Simon, will share that on FB.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve seen a note somewhere (maybe Facebook) that someone had been in touch with STW staff and they’ve offered to do a news article on it, presumably with a link to the petition.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Well lets hope that happens.

Sancho
    Free Member

what about if they agree to build us a brilliant mtb park after they are finished, they have all the earth moving equipment

hora
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking, in the main post-quarry work the lands out of bounds forever to us/anyone on health and safety grounds? Forget (rare) stuff like Lee Quarry

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Simon, Just seen this

This e-mail somehow ended up in my spam folder, so I only came across it just now
    Dear Mr Mullet,
    I am contacting you as lead petitioner of the recently proposed e-petition on Bradford Council’s website concerning the drilling on Harden Moor.
    If you are not already aware, the drilling on the moor has now ceased as no reserves of stone were found. That being the case, you may wish to withdraw the petition.
    If so, could you confirm either with myself or with Palbinder Sandhu in the Council’s Committee Services. (palbinder.sandhu@bradford.gov.uk)
    I am also happy to try answer any queries you may have regarding the moor.
    Yours,
    Danny Jackson
    Countryside and Rights of Way Manager

Simon

Saw it earlier, looks like good news.

woody2000

I think I’d continue with the petition anyway, show that there is an opposition to “this kind of thing” in general? After all, they’re saying “we didn’t find anything” not “we’ll stop because people don’t like it”.

Simon

My thoughts too.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Ride up there to celebrate? Can’t do this coming weekend… one after? 😉

Simon

Saturday afternoon any good?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Should be ok – I’ll let you know ASAP!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Harden Moor test drilling for quarry extension’ is closed to new replies.