Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Hard tail decision time
  • Stigheed

I am close to buying a new steel hardtail, the criteria is:

27.5 wheels(boost rear axle)
    140mm forks
    Slack head angle (65ish)
    Good downhill but able to climb as well
    Reasonable reach but not a barge
    Must be steel (just because)

I have narrowed the options down to the following:

Ragley Blue Pig
    Cotic Soul
    Pace RC627
    Stanton Switchback

Have any of you had experience of any of the above? Am I missing any other choices? Budget is up to £650 for the frame (but considerably less if my wife asks)

guandax
    Free Member

Switchback.

vincienup
    Free Member

Get some demos.

Personally I’d probably go for the Soul but the Switchback is particularly attractive right now at -20%.

al2000

Switchback.

kayak23

Shan.

Boost shmoost.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I liked my RC529 (for a hard tail), and the sliding drop-outs are a neat feature.

At the longest setting, it’s the best climbing bike I’ve ever had and wasn’t too bad in the rough stuff. It was actually also one of the most stable jumpers I’ve had (i’m terrible at jumping and that bike gave a lot of confidence).

Stigheed

I do like the look of the Pace but am concerned that the reach is maybe too long and would have a bias towards downhill at the expense of climbing.

I do already own a Stanton Sherpa and love it but wanted another ‘arrow in the quiver’ for more hard-core riding. The Switchback is tempting however.

The Blue Pig looks to have spot on geometry but the others have better tube sets for the money. I did have a 456 once that had 4130 tubes and it felt a bit lifeless.

The Soul in silver looks gorgeous though……..

Decisions decisions! Has anyone ridden the Pace RC627?

pigyn
    Free Member

Biased but.. Tiny bit more but lots of lovely – I brought some Chromag Wideangles over from Canada, and Rootdowns arriving next week. The Wideangle is 27.5 and takes a 140/150mm fork, light frame with nice skinny stays. And they have bears on. Building our test bike over the weekend if I get the time 😀

£749 but plenty of cheap build kit parts to clear and offset the extra spend 😀

2019 Chromag Wideangle Frame UK Stock

Stigheed

Alas, a little too much and I’d be needing an XL. Interesting though.

The Shan looks interesting, though not boost it is cheaper….

TheGhost
    Free Member

I’m on a XL Pace RC627 it climbs and descends better than any of the other bikes I’ve had recently it is outrageous.

Previously I’ve tried

santa cruz Chameleon latest version
    Cotic Solaris Max MK1
    Sonder Transmitter
    Stanton Sherpa
    To my shame the list goes on

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

New shan, in martini racing colours. Yes please. I love my shan, hands down the best hardtail i have ridden.

Stigheed

The Ghost – (obviously different wheel size) but how does the RC627 compare to the Sherpa?

johnw1984
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about the climbing. Like what’s been said above, even my RC529 climbed better than anything else I’ve owned. Really stable front end on steep stuff too (no front wheel wander etc.).

TheGhost
    Free Member

RC627 vs Sherpa

The Sherpa was a normal hardtail like the old Cotic souls and RM Blizzards. It was comfy flexed well and felt fast but neutral. It was also short so I was running a 60-70mm stem.

The Pace feels like its pushing me up the hills.
    It smooths the ride but doesn’t squirm when I put the power down.
    Downhill It turns between the trees before I have thought to turn the bars. I swear its possessed and reading my mind. It is the most enjoyable bike to ride.

I am running a 150mm Fox 36 ebike fork which is amazing, and a 31.5mm stem and 2.6 tires. Where as, on the Stanton I had a longer stem and a 120mm fork with 2.2 tires.

Also worth noting is that a 29 inch hope enduro wheel with a 2.35 Hans dampf fits fine into the back of my RC627 with the dropouts slid all the way back. The bb is low to start with so this doesn’t raise it higher that a lot of 29ers.

funkybaj
    Free Member

Orange P7 looks to tick your criteria so may be worth a look, unless you’ve discounted one already.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’ve got a soul, absolutely unbelievable bike. Climbs anything and the best fun when pointing down,nimble, tough and more importantly, stunning to look at.
    Whereabouts are you? Give mine a blast if you’re Manchester/Wigan way?

Stigheed

Alas, I’m near Malvern but thanks for the offer. I think I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes: the Pace and the Cotic. I might see if I can find a demo day or two.

sandwicheater

Think On-One have some frames coming this summer that may tick your boxes and for considerably less than those above.

Stigheed

Ah, the On-one quality lottery…..

To be fair the 2 frames I’ve had from them have been good value even if I did have to get the Bottom bracket on my 456 re-tapped by my lbs.

I did wonder if they were bringing something out as the Deedar is looking a little long in the tooth.

Stigheed

Cotic demo in the FoD on 23 June. Only Pace demos are in N Yorks! About 300 miles away.

wl
    Free Member

+1 P7, mint bike, does it all, and carefully specced it’s super reliable and easy to live with.

chakaping
    Free Member

Get a demo on the Cotic and try the Solaris Max while you’re at it.

You can probably demo the Stanton too.

Wouldn’t worry about the others personally.

kayla1
    Free Member

Switchback. I’m back on a mk1 after selling my last one and immediately regretting it.

Stigheed

Lightfighter762: That Blue Pig is a nice looking bike, I get the impression that it is a bomb proof ride rather than subtle? I like the geometry but have ridden a 4130 tubed bike before and it lacked ‘life’.

How does it feel on the trail?

pickle
    Free Member

If you’re looking at Stanton I wouldn’t dismiss the Slackline either if the sizes fit you 👍

longmover
    Free Member

Get a Chromag, I’m biased though as I’m waiting patiently for my Doctahawk to arrive.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Just built up a longshot Soul – first ride tomorrow so I’ll report back! I’ve previously had a 27.5” BFe which was a superb frame, so I’ve got high hopes for the Soul…

Stigheed

Gonetothehills: very interested to hear your thoughts on the Soul. At the moment it’s between the Soul, Pace RC627 and the Blue Pig.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I’ve had a Soul, BFe, Slackline and Currently on a Switchback. If you’re after comfort the Soul and Slackline feel nicer to ride than the burlier equivalents from either range. That being said I’m loving my Switchback, the slack HA and short stays makes it FUN. I’d look carefully at geometry and as above, have a test ride as I’m 5’10 on a long 18” Switchback and I’d not want it any smaller. Could the Switch29er also worth a look..?

Stigheed

Calamity James: the Switch29er would be opening a whole new can of worms. The reason that I am in the market for a 27.5 hardtail is that I have a pair of forks and wheels/tyres kicking around the garage (actually I have a complete 27.5 bike minus the frame). I like the idea of a more hardcore frame than my Stanton Sherpa. Thus far the Sherpa has been my mud-tire clad winter bike. I like it but want something more ‘fun’ as well.

There is a danger that if I really like the more aggro 27.5 frame I might start looking differently at the Sherpa and that gets expensive.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Ah, I see. In that case any listed above will work out well. All good frames that will be fun, look forward to whatever decision you make.

Stigheed

What luck! I hadn’t realised until today that there will be a large number of demos at the Malvern Classic on 14 JUne – just a few miles from my house!

The rugby gods must want me to build (another) mountain bike. Apparently most of those on my short list will be there, including Pace, Cotic, Stanton but no Ragley.

I’ll keep you posted after my back to back rides.

rlo80
    Free Member

I would save on the beer for a bit, get a few extra quid and get a Kingdom Vendetta…its amazing and Ti is for life and keeps its value well.

Stigheed

Alas, beautiful though the Kingdoms are they are beyond my budget. This whole project was supposed to be based on a cheap alloy frame to use components kicking around in the garage. This has already morphed into a good steel frame with new wheels and tires, new drive train etc and has already gone beyond my initial budget.

My wife has threatened to buy a horse if I get any more bikes. Then again – she has no idea that titanium comes with a bigger price tag…………..

rlo80
    Free Member

hahah…exactly…for all she knows, you can tell her you bought a cheap “steel” bike and even had to choose no paint to make it cheaper…lol…the thing about the Vendetta is that not only it is beautiful to look at, it is such a great bike to ride…and in the long-term you end up saving because you will no longer want to change it, just upgrade components as they need…trust me…its such a great bike, so capable that many times I leave the FS at home.

Stigheed

……….I have very little will power when it comes to my index finger hovering above the mouse button as it is – I do not need encouragement!

TheGhost
    Free Member

@Stigheed

Check the geo carefully for the RC627 vs Soul

I’m 6’2” and the XL Pace just fits me in length but the biggest Soul would be too short.

Also the bottom bracket drop, and seat tude angle are quite different. Both will affect the ride.

Bottom. Bracket drop
    RC627. 55.5mm
    Soul. 38mm

Seat Tube Angle
    RC627. 74.5 degrees
    Soul. 72 degrees

The Cotic numbers include 25% sag not sure about the Pace ones.

Stigheed

I should definately get a demo on the Pce at the Malvern Classic on 15 June. Not so sure that Cotic will be there but they will be at the nearby Forest of Dean the following week. I had noticed that the Cotic was shorter but was actually wondering if I should go for the Pace in size L or XL.. I am 6ft 3 with a 34 inside leg.

funkmasterp

Get the Vendetta, deep down you know it makes sense. Shiny, shiny ti

rlo80
    Free Member

Have you bought a Vendetta yet? it would be the best purchase you could make…wait until you see the frame in your hands…its a work of art!? Maybe just wait until Kingdom have another X2 drop?! Should be soon…
    I was running mine with 150mm fork but its climbs so well that I will be putting a 160mm fork next…that and 2.5 tyres, and its the perfect bike…ok, you can’t go as fast on very rough stuff, but you do have more fun while doing it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Hard tail decision time’ is closed to new replies.