Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • hard riding 29er hardtail / fully rigid….
  • nimo
    Free Member

I am curentley riding a ss inbred 29er with salsa rigid forks and love it. My next project is a bike for ragged riding at trailcentres and the like. I know people will not understand this but I really want it to be fully rigid, or at the very least a hardtail.I am fully sold on the big wheels and I am erring towards the Surly Krampus at the moment but also Feel the singular buzzard would do the trick as well.
    Have I missed anything obvious? anyone any thoughts on either of these?
    I have also seen a lovely chromag frame but can’t remember the name….
    thanks in advance

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Jones.

singlespeedstu

Rigid 29er singlespeed for techy riding?

Mr Jones has the answer.

Or if your looking for a hardtail just look at any of the newer short chainstay frames and use a stinger to tension the chain.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nimo
    Free Member

jones, mm hadn’t thought of them. I will have a look

jonstanley
    Free Member

Or go custom… like Walt’s Waltworks, as Walt makes very nice rigid forks to, to go with the frame:

http://waltworks.blogspot.com/2012/12/and-thats-probably-limit-absurdium-pt-3.html

… and spec it with sliders (Paragon, 2Souls, etc) or EBB (like the Niner one). :mrgreen:

ska-49
    Free Member

Im running a Chumba HX2 rigid in SS form with big tyres.
    Its a great winter bike. Such a laugh. I have no regrets.

The only thing to note is the head angle changing. The buzzard was designed around a 120-150mm fork so you may struggle getting some rigids to suit the geometry without the HA being too sharp.

Are you thinking of the Chromag Surface?

nimo
    Free Member

that was the one , the chromag surface but as you say it is designed around a suspension fork. at the moment the Krampus is looking like the one for me

jameso

You won’t beat a Jones for a combo of rigid and technical ability. Makes a damn good tourer-bikepacker too. The Krampus does look like fun but it’s still based on fairly ‘normal’ angles and forks.

YoGrant
    Free Member

New singular buzzard will be the bike for you. Pre order for 10% discount. Gx

ahwiles
    Free Member

Genesis High Latitude.

chunky steel tubes, new-old-new-school geometry*, £300-or-less.

don’t be fooled by the ‘normal’ silhouette – it’s akshully a bit of a hooligan*…

(*longish but not too long wheelbase, slack but not too slack headangle, short but not too short chainstays)

Candodavid
    Free Member

2 souls quarterhorse..140mm travel hardtail, mine is fantastic

Clink

Jones

…but the Krampus looks fun!

takisawa2

Canfield Nimble 9.
    And some of the Surly (Rabbit Hole?) rims so you can run a Knard up front, & a 2.35 Ralph out back. My SIR.9 will be shod with that wheelset come summer.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Canfield Nimble 9 with some Niner carbon forks .mmmmmmmm.

Oh yeah I have one 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s going to be hard on your arse but a Niner Air9 with carbon forks. Fit it with some Hans Dampfs and lower the psi..

forexpipz
    Free Member

Stick with the inbred and get a 3 inch tubeless up front. Some flow ex rims would help on hope ss hub out back.

TomHill
    Free Member

Highly recommend the Kinesis FF29. Hugely capable. Got it mainly as an xc racing bike, but haven’t ridden my 456 since. Massively impressed.

Phatman
    Free Member

catvet
    Free Member

Chromag bikes just have to be one of the best, if a little expensive over here the Kamui is just a beautiful slightly more rad Cotic Soul but is £1100 frame only!!!

Rorschach
    Free Member

KRAMPUS!!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

i’ve got a Genesis Fortitude Race and it’s brill on techy bits, not comfortable but far more capable then I thought it would be. I am however tempted by a high lattitude…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘hard riding 29er hardtail / fully rigid….’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts