Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Hard hitting enduro 29ers
  • duncancallum

I’ve ordered a bergamont trailster 10.

Looking forward to steep angry stuff in the new year!

deanfbm
    Free Member

I’m on yari debonair and lyrik debonair rc2 do I notice a day and night difference, no.

I’ve always set up my forks hard 15-20% sag, they’ve always needed it to stay up in the travel, followed the rockshox recommended pressure on this 2019 stuff to see, it’s actually bang on, I’m about 30% sag but it’s holding up.

ps “keeping up with dhers”, honestly most you get are bimblers, so unless they’re legit I’d take what you’re perceiving with a pinch of salt.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Added 1 token, now 3 total.
    Sag increased to 25%.
    Rebound at 12 clicks from fully closed.

Left the rear alone, I’m happy so far with 30% sag and 2 clicks from fully open

Looking forward to try this next Thursday or in the weekend

mark90
    Free Member

I run a Yari on my hardtail and while it’s fine on slow steep tech I do find it gets a bit harsh (moco damper spiking?) over fast rough stuff with repeated hits (rebound isn’t set particularly slow, it’s similar to my other bike). I find the roughcut damper in the sweep on my Aeris much more composed over rough at speed. If you’re riding an AM9 hard I think it deserves a better fork, be that a damper upgrade to effectively give a Lyric or one of the alternatives such as Fox, or Helm, or….

Also I’ve heard from a couple of people that they have found the AM9 to benefit from an angleset for hard enduro/DH riding.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Don’t have an Commencal – but like them.
    My bikes: 130 mm 29er hardtail, 130 / 130 mm 27.5 trailbike and 150/150 mm 27.5+ all mountain bike with 2,6 inch rubber.

Personally and for my trails: 130 mm fork is minimum to have some fun…
    On the other side I’am absolutely surprised how well the 150/150 bike is coping with very rough stuff – suppose it’s the fat tyres!

If you are interested in Enduro bikes – maybe have also a look at RADON SWOOP. Think they have a new 29er 170 mm Swoop 2019.
    The SWOOP bikers I met were really in love with their Enduros.
    I don’t have the trails for Enduro stuff and 150/150 mm is plenty for me.

chakaping
    Free Member

RADON SWOOP. Think they have a new 29er 170 mm Swoop 2019.

This could turn out to be the hardest-hitting enduro 29er of the lot (maybe excluding Geometrons & Poles), I hope to find out relatively soon as my mate’s ordered one.

I loved the 650b Swoop, had a beautifully balanced ride feel and good geometry. Just needed bigger wheels and longer rear – which the new one addresses.

matt_outandabout

I loved the 650b Swoop, had a beautifully balanced ride feel and good geometry. Just needed bigger wheels and longer rear – which the new one addresses.

Eldest_oab has a Slide 150 and I would agree – lovely balanced bike, light for the travel, well made. Proper nippy. A new 29″ long n low will make it a proper weapon.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

checked the price tag: Radon 170 Swoop 8.0 is 2,4 k

High end swoop 10.0 is roughly 1,1 k more – compared with the Swoop 8.0

Many neat, new bikes available right now… (but 170 mm travel is an total overkill for me)

richardthird

Radons new Slide Trail is 150/140. My shortlist is either that in 29 or Spectral 160/150 in 275.

Murmurs that this years Strive will be 170/160 29er, too much for me as well i think.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Murmurs that this years Strive will be 170/160 29er

Will there be a new Strive 2019 frame? Expected that as well – but can’t find anything about a “new Strive”. Bike pals which have the “old” aluminium Strive are quite happy with them. But geo might be a bit outdated? Maybe not outdated…- but not really long & slack.. (which is not always an advantage).

zezaskar
    Free Member

I’ll try to check the new fork settings today. I’ll also try to run the rebound a little faster, I suspect the form is not recovering fast enough from strikes and keep reading as the pros run rebound quite fast (grain of salt here).

If this doesn’t work, then I might try the reverse, going back to 2 tokens and up pressure to mid 80s. This based on the theory I read sometimes that firmer pressure can keep the fork in the softer travel section and actually make it feel plusher.

If nothing of this works, then a damper upgrade might be on the table. 200 euros, outch…..

Those new Radon Swoops 29 look sweet. The right travel, crazy value and the short seat tubes allow to select size based on reach (would go XL straight away). Quite tempting to get the cheapest model, 2500€ and swap the better bits I have on mine.
    But:
    – on the slackest setting the BB is crazy low
    – no metric shock…
    – hard to find any info or feedback on them

Edit: about the possible new Strive, knowing Canyon it’s likely to have quite conservative geo

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t get hung up on the metric shock thing, I’d prefer 215×63 myself – tons of cheap used options out there.

The 650b swoop was a great package. Rode superbly and impressive build quality.

It’s not likely to be a lively, nimble single-track rocket though!

zezaskar
    Free Member

I would fear by the time I would need a new shock the non metric stuff would be dry. Quite an odd move on their side, likely to save on tooling and jigs.

Not looking to have a nimble single-track rocket, just a bike capable to winch itself up mountains at it’s own pace and then bomb downhill

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Hard hitting enduro 29ers’ is closed to new replies.