Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hard drive dock for Western Digital.
  • chorlton
    Free Member

I’ve an old Western Digital hard drive with loads of pictures on that I was hoping to retrieve with a docking station, but all the things I’ve searched for says it can’t be done. I found one that seems to say it’s possible but it’s in Chinglish so not sure.
    Any other ways to get the pics? Or is it for the bin? Ta

cranberry
    Free Member

Your question lacks the information that would be required to answer it –

how old ?
    What interface does it have ?

Write down what it says on the drive lable / Post up a picture of the connectors on the drive and we’ll be able to give you an answer.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Edit: what cranberry says – then we can tell exactly what to buy (probably a Sata caddy)

A simple usb docking caddy (£10-15) will let you mount the drive like you would a usb key. This assumes the drive isn’t actually **** – even then I have got data off an old hard drive which would not boot.

chorlton
    Free Member

[/url]

This pic any good?
    It’s from 2004

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yup good enough. It’s the old IDE connectors (pre Sata).

Will google some …

jambalaya
    Free Member

Something like this (I think need to double check 3.5″ vs 2.5″)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/gjr/3-5-IDE-Hard-Drive-Caddy-External-Enclosure/B002K00G0W

Obviously plan A would be to borrow one as it will be a 1-off job. Work IT ? I have a rough amd ready one but it would probably cost as much to post it to you as buy one 😐

chorlton
    Free Member

No. Not in IT.
    Shirley someone in IT would not ask such a question.
    I do know someone but he wouldn’t have a clue. 😀

Thanks for taking the trouble of looking for me. I’ll have a punt at the caddy you suggested tomorrow.
    I’ve loads of old biking photos which I’d love to get hold of.
    I might even post some up on STW.

Thanks again.

chorlton
    Free Member

Cheers redthunder.
    It says it won’t work with Western Digital IDE though.
    Mine is a EIDE so… still puzzled.

Cougar

I use one of these (not this exact model but there’s hundreds of clones, they’re all broadly the same).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IOMAX-SATA-Adapter-Power-Drive/dp/B000R18ZNQ

jambalaya
    Free Member

Buy the one in Cougar’s or Redthunder’s link as it does both standards. It will probably sit unused again for many years or if you can be bothered sell it on ebay afterwards.

btw Work IT ? Meant can you ask work IT rather than do you work in

Cougar

It says it won’t work with Western Digital IDE though.

Can’t think why, a standard is a standard.

Mine is a EIDE so… still puzzled.

For the purposes of this exercise, it’s the same thing.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Pretty sure any modern IDE>USB adapter will be compatible with the latest version of the IDE protocol, whatever that is. You may have to set a jumper on the drive to “Master” or, you may not. Start by just plugging it in.

IMHO – buy any adapter from Amazon that has a decent amount of feedback and costs a couple of quid more than the cheapest, preferably not one poasted from China or you’ll never get a refund.

If you have a few more quids try this:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/startech-usb-30-to-sata-or-ide-hard-drive-hdd-adapter-converter-cable

EDIT _ took too long to type, maybe buy the one c00gl3s just suggested.

Cougar

Oh, one other consideration with IDE,

Don’t connect / disconnect the data connection with the power attached, always remove the power first. IDE is not designed to be hot-swap (unlike SATA). On a regular PC motherboard, unplugging IDE cables live is a fantastic way of blowing up the controller.

Cougar

You may have to set a jumper on the drive to “Master” or, you may not.

Good point. Cable Select is probably what you want.

IMHO – buy any adapter from Amazon that has a decent amount of feedback and costs a couple of quid more than the cheapest, preferably not one poasted from China or you’ll never get a refund.

If you’re feeling cheeky, you could buy it, use it once and then return it for a refund. Not sure as I would, but I don’t know how your moral compass is aligned. (-:

chorlton
    Free Member

Thanks all anyway. I’ll just get one you’ve suggested. Cheers.

redthunder
    Free Member

All my WD drives work in the caddy I mentioned.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

is it really called a ‘jezalung’ ?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hard drive dock for Western Digital.’ is closed to new replies.