Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Happy new light day
  • teethgrinder

Managed to win this from a giveaway on the Magicshine YT channel. Best bit is, it was looking like the next light I was going to buy, so even more happy.
    Hopefully it’ll be miles better than the trusty 4.5 year old Evolva X8.

Supposedly 3000lm and 10000mAh. We’ll see…

dyna-ti

Well done on your win. 😀

MONTEER 8000S GALAXY

😯 Thats not a light, thats a lighthouse 😯

teethgrinder

Cheers! I was genuinely looking at the RN3000 and the Ray 2600, and to win one was pretty lucky. If it’s any good there may well be a RAY2600 purchase for the helmet light.

Self-contained lights are just so much better than corded.

It’s a monster that 8000, but costs 350. Although there wouldn’t be much to bear it on the forthcoming lumen wars of 21-22

matt_outandabout

Turn that on and it will be a second sunrise….

Winning things is always sweet. 🙌

desperatebicycle

Tasty bit of kit, though what use 8000+lm are, I can’t imagine!
    Mounting is the same as my (plenty bright enough I’ll have you know!) See.Sense Beam+ – really good mount option for lights.

stumpy01

Is that a road specific lens? It looks similar to the “road” lens on the Ravemen lights with those horizontal lines along the top.

teethgrinder

teethgrinder

It is supposedly designed to not be annoying to oncoming traffic, but don’t think it’s StVZO rated.

Tried it out in the local graveyard last night after the pub. Way, way brighter than the Evolva X8.

I’ll also stick on some sort of lanyard retention thing. The Garmin-style 1/4 turn mount didn’t take much effort to get it turning and wouldn’t want to lose the light in a crash

desperatebicycle

wouldn’t want to lose the light in a crash

Yeah, might be a bit hard to see if it came off 😎

p7eaven
    Free Member

Nice win, looks fun.

Is that a road specific lens?

They say so. Yet I think it’s just a sort of ‘softening’ of the upper beam area to reduce dazzle.

From product webpage:

Anti-glare lens designforroad cyclists where the beam softens to avoid blindingoncomingmotorists. Side lighting for better side visibility.

And

The RN 3000 provides up to 3000 lumens on 12 levels. Supported by the scattering optics, it spreads a lateral light field with an opening angle of around 150 °. The advantage is obvious: full depth illumination up to 260m, good lateral illumination limited in height.

https://www.magicshine.de/en-gb/rn-3000

I just took a peek at my Raveman (PR900) to compare lenses

The main/road-specific emitter on LHS has quite a lot of lens-y-pokery going on. In use it’s quite a distinct cutoff and the even spread over ground level is striking. I’ve not used an StVZO bike light to compare, but it’s far and away a different (positive) experience on roads and gravel than any other light I’ve owned.

The light in the OP looks like it could be great for gravel/MTB use and ‘get home’ on low beam (?), look fwd to some test reports 😉

*edit: Guy Kestevan just reviewed it this week:

https://www.bikeperfect.com/reviews/magicshine-rn3000-light-review

teethgrinder

Yeah, might be a bit hard to see if it came off 😎

Well. It would of the crash was pre-lights on time. Apart from that it should be obvious 😂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It is supposedly designed to not be annoying to oncoming traffic, but don’t think it’s StVZO rated.

Tried it out in the local graveyard last night after the pub

It would have to be really bright to annoy that crowd.

teethgrinder

It’s bright! The emitters give out a nice warm coloured light compared to the more blue Evolva X8 light I use on my helmet, and there’s more of a flood than a spot.

Could do with a hood over the front, as the light does get in your eyes when climbing out the saddle, don’t need the side or base DRL’s, and also a hole for a lanyard in case the light gets dislodged in a crash, although I’ve attached one under the 1/4 turn mount.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Happy new light day’ is closed to new replies.