Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Happy Day for me and Mini TJ
  • Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My son, who is now nearly 10, has never shown any interest in bike riding or learning to ride a bike. Being slightly autistic has possibly played a part in this. Of course , as a cyclist, you always wish your children to learn about the fun you have on your bikes ( bar the broken limbs and blood, obviously 8O). I have never pushed my son into doing anything , he didnt ever want to do. So , this week I have at home with the family and my son says ‘ Can I have my bike out the shed?’ I had taken the pedals of it, so he could start as a push along. He has a brand new Dawes bike, which is really too small for him now, as has had it for 3 years. So, i get the bike out, give it a dust off, pump the tyres up and he scoots along on it. ‘ Can I have the pedals, put on please? ‘ Which I do for him. And weirdly, a couple of wobbles and within an hour, he’s screaming round the garden unaided and having a ball. So chuffed he has done this, albeit later than most. But , seems his birthday is next month and so far, all he wants to do is ride his bike!!
    Sorry for rambling, but thought I would share this happy moment. I am glad the bike fund is going to be spread through the family a bit more now.
    So, kids bikes for sale………. 😀

RustyMac

Win 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Feels warm inside

It took you some time but its a gift[ riding a bike] all dads should give to their children

Have some brownie points yerself and enjoy

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Totally awesome, best way as now he loves it for him and hasn’t been forced to do it. Really chuffed for you.

bearnecessities

That’s bloody fab. 😀

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Brilliant!

jamj1974

Amazing. This kind if stuff really gets me emotional!

Bregante

Fantastic.

My youngest (6 in a few weeks) has dyspraxia which has a detrimental effect on balance and co-ordination amongst other things. As a result he is showing no signs of progressing beyond his stabilisers (he never quite got the hang of a balance bike) so it’s really encouraging to hear your news.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is a good thing. 🙂

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Thanks all for the kind words. Has been a cool start to my week off with the family. He has gone to bed and out like a light in seconds !! The garden looks trashed with his, the wifes and my bikes zooming round playing chase.
    Bregante,it will come in time and my son used to get so frustrated and he wouldnt touch the bike for months at a time. I believe his scooter , which he loves, gave him a definate help in balance and control, but hope the speed of the bike will take over now from his scooter.

BigJohn

I think being called Mini TJ may be holding him back somewhat.

Bregante

😆

thegreatape
    Free Member

FFS man take a bit more care with your thread titles – I almost shat myself when I read ‘Mini TJ’

Great work with the boy though 🙂

BlobOnAStick

My lad’s now 12. After showing no real desire to cycle when he was younger (although enough to learn to ride a bike) I spent 5 hours riding with him on Cannock Chase on Friday. One day he will rip my legs off.

Moral: careful what you wish for! 😉

1-shed
    Free Member

Fantastic news, be proud and enjoy.

sbob
    Free Member

Good times. 😀

fadda

*clicks imaginary ‘like’ button*

Top postage, OP!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Now with evidence from today. Was frustrated from hoofing with rain, but as soon as it stopped, this happened. Off to the bike shop this afternoon for a new lid, as his old one is a bit too kiddie for him. May look at some new toys too, although may have a mate with an Islabike kicking around that his son grew out of.

Happy Dad 😀

camo16
    Free Member

So nice to read a thread brimming with awesome!

Well done to you and to mini TJ. 😉

mogrim

TJ to the thread!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TJ to the thread!

Why? Another helmet thread? 😉

A lovely piece of forummage, Thrusty. But, as others have said, “Mini-TJ” conjures up some truly horrid mental images! 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Good stuff.

Watching my two on their bikes is a joy. Carrying the bikes home when they’ve had enough however…

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Thanks to Michaelhutch on here, we are now here:

Note the liking of green, with matching jacket and Nirvana T shirt, although he prefers The Prodigy 😯
    Need to set it up a bit saddlewise and loves it. Didnt want a 24 inch as rather build him up to it. Happy dad again. Roll on the weekend for a family ride at last.

househusband

Excellent news!

martinhutch

🙂

Now I understand the wanting green thing. Hope it brings him as much pleasure as it did my kid.

Trampus
    Free Member

Heartwarming! 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Happy Day for me and Mini TJ’ is closed to new replies.