Happy Dad content

Home Forum Bike Forum Happy Dad content

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Happy Dad content
  • Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

First real proper MTB ride with my daughter on Sunday!

12km and 250m of ascent! Had to push the first climb as Dad thought it would be road and was in fact a loose rocky and quite steep lane. Also she gets terrified when the downhill gradient exceeds about 10% so we had to walk half of the ‘easy’ fire-road descent. But she ended up back on the bike albeit at a walking pace, and she remained cheerful throughout instead of freaking out which has been the issue in the past. So pretty chuffed about this πŸ™‚

DickBarton

Nice one…mine is enjoying rooty stuff but hating any climbing…but she has a better idea of her gears now and seems to be enjoying the biking more.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon frankconway
    Subscriber

That’s nice.

doncorleoni

Awesome thanks for posting this πŸ™‚ so much better than the other rubbish on here! This is what it’s all about people…. Not bloody skodas and finance rubbish.

daern

Well done to both of you!

Being honest, I get more enjoyment from my cycling now I can ride with my kids than I ever did before, so I completely understand how chuffed you are feeling now.

We were battering round Cannock Chase at the weekend. My son was, as ever, lapping up the miles but much to my delight, my daughter declared that she was loving the red trails so much, she wanted to do a bit more and even ride a small rocky drop-off. She came back with a broad smile on her face, but even this couldn’t beat the one I had on my own πŸ™‚

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

Glad you had a good time. It’s a great feeling. I still get it even though the girls are now grown up.

Premier Icon frankconway
    Subscriber

Don – please don’t pollute the bike forum with all of that stuff from the other side; yes, I know, I chipped into it but this is some of the good stuff.
    Happy child = happy parent πŸ˜€

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Kids plus bikes = happiness

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Is that a Pinnacle Kauri she’s riding?

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

πŸ™‚

Thanks for sharing and fwiw 12km and 250m of climbing is more than I’ve managed this year

doncorleoni

Frank… Yes apologies. This is really great πŸ™‚

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Is that a Pinnacle Kauri she’s riding?

How could you tell? πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Wife has the orange and black version. Took me ages to convince her that it was right for her, as she’s very petite and disabled, and occasionally she concedes I was right

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Kids on bikes ROCK!

user-removed

Taught my four year old to ride his bike last week over two days. Haven’t lived with him since February due to work / house move stuff and was gobsmacked to find he was still on stabilisers!

He took it in his stride as if it was something that happens every day but I was an emotional mess πŸ˜€

Merak

I like this.:)

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

What no like button on this forum?

Both my kids really enjoy their riding.

I’ve found the biggest issue where we are is getting everything together and loaded in the car for a trip to the trails, so I’ve just caved in and shelled out for a new 4-bike roof rack to speed up the morning getaway.

That reminds me I need to order some lights from Torchy or someone as eldest wants to try night riding.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

Here’s my 6 year old on her first mtb outing (Leigh Woods in Bristol) – she grinned from ear to ear and is demanding to do it again.

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

like a lot.

natrix

Hitting the trails at the weekend

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Nice one Molls! Glad she enjoyed it! πŸ˜€

As we’re doing kids on bikes, here’s Binnerette number 2 on her first trip on full-size wheels in the summer

[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/14162682@N00/]bin lid[/url], on Flickr

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Leigh woods.. gives me an idea, I bet Ashton Court would be good for the kids.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

Leigh woods.. gives me an idea, I bet Ashton Court would be good for the kids.

LW is ideal for a first-timer, as all of the obstacles on the blue trail can be rolled or ridden around. Daddy also liked the coffee van by the car park.

AC has a bit of climbing up to the quarry and one of the short descents by the A369 can be a bit slippy in the wet. That said, it’s still fine for a beginner IMO.

Great stuff! Hope she keeps it up! My lad went from this….

To this…

& now he’s yapping on about doing The Ard Rock in Swaledale this year & wants me to go ‘training’ with him!

EDIT, sorry those came out the size of Alaska, dunno why,

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Little stories like this make my day.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Kids on bikes ROCK!

Yes! EGF – your pics aren’t too big πŸ˜€
    from

to

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

My two have grown up too fast

From this

to this

But we still get to do this

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

My pair of cherubs.
    Loving their Fatty’s.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ZVQy1u]FoD Fat[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CVyQdG]Rowan_Fatty[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CVyPBb]Ewan-Fatty[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

If we’re doing pics…

From learning to ride…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/5hC5Zx]100_5901[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

To battering round the Alps…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Wjzk9L]Les Gets, Geneva and Paris 2017[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Whole family went to Leigh woods today, was a hit. One lap inc the orange for all of us, then I went back out with the 8yo for another lap as my wife and the 6yo ate cake.

6yo still not quite able to anticipate when to gain momentum to clear obstacles, but she did the ‘climb’ out of the saddle albeit with a couple of rests. They both walked the ‘descent’ but the 8yo rolled it the second time and almost cleared the climb.

downshift

What a very lovely thread, so many smiles in words and pictures.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Now looking at other places to go – Afan green, Brechfa green, but what else is there? What’s at the Forest of Dean?

Premier Icon seadog101
    Subscriber

For a multitude of reasons I have been feeling pretty low of late.

Thank you all for making me feel a just a wee bit more positive about stuff. I have a great picture of my lad riding through a field of tall grass. I can’t post it with my iPad, so just imagine it. I will look upon it once more to lift the spirits again.

Royston

edit: what is it with Flickr and pictures?
    Had some pics of my son and I cycling part of the Great Lake Trail (Lake Taupo, NZ, Waihaha section) and ‘The Old Coach Road'(Ohakune) from a few weeks ago. He’s always been a reluctant and anxious cyclist and only learnt to ride without a stabiliser when he was nine (Twelve now). So finishing these trails with him was bloody great.

Premier Icon flashinthepan
    Subscriber

Great thread. Kids on bikes = happiness.

I’ve been going out with my twin boys for nearly 10 years. Now that they’re 17 they both spank my arse around Swinley most weekends.

harry too

Now looking at other places to go – Afan green, Brechfa green, but what else is there? What’s at the Forest of Dean?

I love riding Haldon Blue with my 8 year old daughter, she can ride the lot now, takes us an hour to get round but I enjoy every minute, then she can burn off the last of her energy in the skills area, great cafe for apres ride cake too!

rockhopper70

My 11 yo lad and “still keen on cycling” 15 yo daughter.
    Tracey, from the previous page, may recognise the tyres!

[video]https://youtu.be/7gcKpO6KPq8[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.