Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Happy Birthday to me! Colnago Master.
  • solarider
    Free Member

I turned 40 yesterday. As a reward for ‘getting halfway’, I decided to treat myself to a classic frame. A real ‘keeper’. After 8 months of waiting, it actually arrived on my Birthday. Perfect timing. Thanks to Mike at Maestro

A very gloomy day here in sunny Surrey, and the photos don’t do the paintwork justice. It is really bright, zingy and a work of art. Most Colnago’s I have seen have a dodgy bit of masking or overspray somewhere on them, but not this one. My bikes tend to be on the monochrome side, but this one is wild!

I lusted after a Colnago Master (Olympic back then) when I first started riding on the road seriously, but by the time I could afford one times had changed and plastic and aluminium were all the rage. What goes around comes around though, and with age and maturity, I can now appreciate the finer things in life rather than the latest things in life. This will be an unashamedly ‘Sunny Days and Sundays’ bike. As if Ernesto Colnago knew that I was turning 40, he kindly produced the 30th anniversary model in my favourite ever colour scheme, AD10. The ride is sublime. Dare I say it, much nicer than my Pegoretti’s. Not sure of the weight, but it is surprisingly light for a large steel frame, and rides light thanks to the wheels.

Arguably it should be kitted out with some NOS Shimano 8 or 9 speed Dura Ace (Mapei-stylee), but I have ridden Campagnolo for too long to change. So, I have gone for a mix of modern NOS Record and Super Record components. I wanted polished silver components with white decals. I happen to think that the 2011 vintage Campagnolo looks much nicer than the current crop of black/red components, and there really isn’t much difference in the performance. I have Super Record EPS on the Moots, and from a purely aesthetic perspective, it just wouldn’t suit this frame. All 11 speed, apart from the brakes, which are the pre-skeleton variety (and much prettier IMHO).

Maybe the Zipp bars are wrong but I use these on all of my bikes in either carbon or aluminium, and I just love the shape.

Frame – Colnago Master 30th AD10 (59cm)
    Fork – Colnago Prescia
    Aheadset – Chris King Sotto Voce Aheadset
    Chainset – NOS Campagnolo Super Record 2011 (175mm 53/39)
    Pedals – Look Keo Carbon Titanium
    Front Deraileur – NOS 11 speed Campagnolo Record 2011
    Rear Deraileur – NOS 11 speed Campagnolo Record 2011
    Shifters – NOS 11 speed Campagnolo Record 2011
    Brakes – NOS Campagnolo Record 2006
    Chain – 11 speed Campagnolo Record
    Cassette – 11 speed Campagnolo Record 12/25
    Wheels – Campagnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 (but with NOS 2006 Record skewers)
    Tyres – Continental Competition
    Stem – Deda Zero (130mm)
    Bars – Zipp SL Alloy Traditional Bend
    Seatpost – Deda Super Zero
    Saddle – Fizik Arione
    Handlebar Tape – Colnago Cork

So, just to pre-empt the usual comments:

Yes, I know the grass needs a cut. Yes, I know there a lot of spacers, but I ride with quite a high front end, and at least 1, if not 2 will be removed once I have dialled the position. Yes, the gunmetal stem looks wrong, and a black version has been ordered. Yes, I know a pair of Veloflex would be better, but I happen to like Conti Comps. No, it is not for sale, and nor will it be for a very, very long time!

cyclistm
    Free Member

Didn’t realise maestro was still going, a real classic that, I like it

dannybgoode

Mmmmmm – like. Needs a Brooks though…

Cheers

Danny B

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    whatnobeer
    Free Member

A thing of beauty. I’m not going to ask how much it cost 😆

brakes
    Free Member

well, the forks are pretty nice.

djglover
    Free Member

Looks ace, really like it.

vinnyeh

Aah, another solarider new bike post. 🙂

Bit of a headturner, that one. Marmite I reckon, but I like that.

Dylan08
    Free Member

Stunning bike! you should be (rightly) chuffed with it … enjoy

mattjg
    Free Member

Happy birthday and enjoy your new bike.

Would you sign a contract, today, that 40 is halfway and then you’re done, provided you’re healthy for the second half?

Sorry a bit OT, it’s just a thought that’s in my head at the mo.

solarider
    Free Member

Yes, I think so. Being healthy and still riding until 80 would be great, and then pop off happy. Living to 100 but sick and aged would be worse. Deep stuff Matt!

fasthaggis

Always liked those frames ,enjoy.

mattjg
    Free Member

I think so too (I’m 46). But we also know at our time of life that the future arrives sooner than expected.

Anyway not meant to hijack, mind those Surrey potholes on that. Most affluent county in the country == worst roads!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhhhh most excellent!!

I used to race an Orange on back in the day. Can’t say I miss it, I did too many miles dragging my mates to the front on it.

T’is a thing of beauty that though..

😀

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Stunning! Uncannily I picked up the same frame as a 40th present! Mine is second hand though and has a few wee scars but still lovely, unfortunately it’ll be a while before I get round to building it. This has whetted my appetite no end!

mrmo
    Free Member

only thing i think that is wrong is the chainset. IMO polished aluminium does suit the style of bike better than black, either carbon or aluminium

solarider
    Free Member

Yes, toyed with that, but chainrings are the problem with 11 speed. I have just fitted a set of White Industries ENOs to another bike, and square taper done well is easily a match for external bb systems.

nick1962
    Free Member

Don’t they do them in black?

solarider
    Free Member

They do, but, really? This is surely the only colour to have?!

nick1962
    Free Member

This is surely the only colour to have?!

No,no and thrice no
    Enjoy but make sure you wear shades I’ve got retina burn via the internet 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

they do Athena in silver??? certainly did, I know it is only Athena but IMO i think it would look better.

A bike like that is for enjoying on sunny sundays through the summer, not for racing or training in crap weather.

solarider
    Free Member

Athena is Power Torque. Just wrong!

mrmo
    Free Member

Athena is Power Torque. Just wrong!

but it is silver, so which is more wrong, carbon or power-torque 🙂

solarider
    Free Member

There’s only one way to find out……..

FFFFFFFIGHT!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Bought my CT1 from Maestro many moons ago with art decor in red. Wish i never sold the bike. Was a very fast machine. Looks great and Happy Birthday.

bob_summers

Nice! I’ve got its decrepit auntie, a c96 in metallic fairground waltzer colours.
    You don’t say what the cages are, are they King?

tonyg2003

It looks very nice. Although (and I appreciate that functionally they don’t offer the same level of performance) I would perfer Record 10sp NOS so that I could have a classic square taper Record chainset. That’s what I’ve gone for on my rebuild 653 cafe bike.

Digger90
    Free Member

As a Colnago and Campagnolo fan I don’t know how you could even contemplate putting Shimano on it.

It’s beautiful! 😀

stanfree
    Free Member

Lovely Bike , Happy birthday.

dannybgoode

Quite agree Digger. It is scientifically proving that if you put Shimano on a Colnago frame (or any other frame of fine Italian heritage) you will fall off your bike at some point and die…

Cheers

Danny B

MrSmith
    Free Member

Would look better if you flipped the stem the wrong way and lost some spacers without changing the sportive position 😆

racefaceec90

lovely bike 🙂

mdb
    Free Member

Absolutely stunning, but needs a Rolls saddle.

I’m 40 next year and you’ve got me thinking now….

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Silver stem headset and seat post maybe

rob1984p
    Free Member

Beautiful, love the tube profiles and colour schemes on Colnago steels

winterfold
    Free Member

I can’t believe Mike let a bike out with that many spacers 😯 how did you persuade him?

Otherwise, lovely

shermer75
    Free Member

Absolutely stunning, nice work! 🙂

singlecrack
    Free Member

Lovely that ……….right that’s going to make me dust off and build up my Colnago master X-light ..
    Thanks for the inspiration

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Wawweee…..I will own one…one day, but for the time being I’ll have to put up with my plastic extreme c 😉

And who is gona argue that you should infect an Italian road bike with jap crap?

dannybgoode

Just finish the job properly…

Cheers

Danny B

fubar
    Free Member

I’ve got to agree that’s a great looking frame / bike so I had to do a quick price check – think I’ll be looking for one second hand, and in red. I’ve never used Campag stuff but it looks fantastic.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Happy Birthday to me! Colnago Master.’ is closed to new replies.