Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Hans Dampf – Pacestar vs Trailstar?
  • bgd
    Free Member

Sorry for another tyre thread but was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a big difference between the two compounds. I need new tyres asap and have decided on the Hans Dampfs but am finding the Pacestar mostly out of stock in this country. Are the Trailstar much more draggy and less durable?
    My riding is mostly on Dartmouth with a bit of tarmac if riding from home.
    Cheers

joeelston
    Free Member

Both types are for sale on Bike Discount for 30 quid each. It’s around a fiver for delivery.

I have a trail star in my BFe and found it draggy but rather grippy. I asked the same question a while back and apparently not noticeably different in drag but some compromise on grip.

bgd
    Free Member

Thanks but they only have super gravity Pacestar in 26 inch which I presume are a fair bit heavier.

boxfish
    Free Member

I have Trailstars front and back on my hardtail. Excellent grip on a recent trip to Snowdonia, but with that comes the inevitable dragginess.

mcnultycop

I run Trailstar Front and Pacestar rear. They are brilliant and were about £55 from the Germans.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Same as him ^^^^^

matther01
    Free Member

Just remember they are both draggyish for the fact they come up big at near 2.5

bgd
    Free Member

I had a quick go on a mate’s bike this morning running the Pacestars and was quite surprised how well they rolled.

oxym0r0n

Slight hijack: anyone run 2.35hds on crest rims or are they too rolly – looking for a bit more comfort on fully rigid

mcnultycop

My 2.35s are on Flows. All is well.

doubledunter
    Free Member

I put the two of them on for a trip to molini in may and havent took them off, surprisingly I dont find them that draggy at all and Im running them at 20psi tubeless, personally I love them and will be putting another 2 on for going back to Molini next may 😀 great tyres.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I don’t find them too draggy but I run 35psi with tubes, but the more expensive of the two compounds (I get mixed up which is which) is definitely alot better than the cheaper one. You might get away with it at lower pressures.

mactheknife

^^ wot he said, i too have Trailstar up front with Pacestar on the rear. Perfect volume and rolling resistance and grip for everything i ride, they also go up very easily tubeless.

I fully expected the rear to be quite draggy after running a smorgasbord for a while but its really not.

Im a complete fanboy. But wouldn’t pay UK prices. Germany all the way.

winch
    Free Member

I had the trailstar front and pacestar rear combination for a while. Love the front but the rear is too draggy for me so I’ve since swapped it out.

Blueadvocate

Another with the Trail front/Pace rear combo here.
    Ran them last winter and just swapped back to them.

portydave
    Free Member

also got the Trail front/Pace rear combo here

the pacestar on the back is pretty draggy as it is, i wouldn’t want to run a trailstar.

also, i tear the tread to bits pretty quickly as it is on both front and rear. so certainly wouldn’t want something softer on the back.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Trailstar front / pacestar rear here too.

I really rate them as tyres and don’t think that they’re any more draggy than my super taky front / 60a rear High Rollers. In fact the feel better because they’re a tad tighter.

I also refuse to pay UK prices so got mine from Germay and will do again when these ones wear out.

Milkie
    Free Member

Great grip with low pressures (23/25’ish psi) but definitely feel draggy, compared to HR’s. Pumped up they seem to roll very well.

joeelston
    Free Member

I’m running a Trailstar front and ralph rear. Seems to be the best of both worlds.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I run 2.35 snakeskin Trailstar Dampf on the front and a Pacestar Dampf on the back of my Tracer 275; Stans tubeless. I also run 2.35 snakeskin Pacestar Dampf front AND back on my Sovereign; Stans tubeless. Here are my conclusions:

* The Trailstar on the front does not feel draggy and grip is good

* But the side knobs are all half-torn off and it now feel horribly imprecise cornering

* The Trailstar compound is too fragile for my rough-and-ready cornering style!

* The Sovereign is mostly for wet, slippery riding (limestone, roots and mud) and the Pacestar on the front (18 psi tubeless) is plenty grippy enough, as long as it doesn’t clog

A friend has constant problems running a Ralph on the rear – it rips or blows-off on most rides. Which is a shame as he really likes the feel of it.

I’m going to replace the damaged Trailstar Dampf on the Tracer 275 with a Pacestar.

tasteslikeburning
    Free Member

When people say draggy that must be on tarmac right? I’ve been running Trailstars (F+R) for about 18 months, 24 psi front, 28 rear and they don’t feel draggy. Definitely not on the dirt where they roll really well. Took mine to Molini last May as well and it was wet rock all the time – HD’s were epic.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Hans Dampf – Pacestar vs Trailstar?’ is closed to new replies.