Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hans dampf or highroller 2 front tyre??
  • lee170
    Free Member

Wanting to change my x king front tyre for something a bit better,
    Narrowed it down to either hans dampf or highroller 2,
    Also wanting to change my rear tyre which is a nobby nic,
    Any suggestions?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

anything is better than a nobby nic…
    Grippy HRII/Minion style
    Faster Ardent

stewartc
    Free Member

Currently running HD TL at the front and HR2 at the back, seems to work for me even under typhoon conditions

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

In true STW fashion – something other than what you’ve narrowed it down to.

Spesh Purgatory out back and a Butcher up front. Lighter than HR’s by some way

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m a fan of either of those tyres, although I’m loving my Magic Mary front tyre at the mo.

My Hans Dampf’s lasted really well but once the knobs started to tear they felt awful.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

all about the magic mary

kimbers

i like a hans dampf in the dry and a HRII in the wet

Candodavid
    Free Member

Magic Mary is quite a step up from a Hans Dampf, just waiting for winter to see if the improvement works in wet schlock too.
    Sub €41 for a MM from bike24

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Bontrager XR4 (lighter team issue version), huge at 2.35, but i’m converted after they came on my second hand hope hoops and I fell in love 😀 Fantastic cornering, grip, and speed on any terrain you like.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/tyres/mountain/product/review-bontrager-xr4-2-35in-tyre-12-46052/

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Both good tyres.

HD gives a more rounded profile and seems to grip at any angle. Copes ok with mud as long as its not really sticky. Rolls ok. Go for trailstar on the front. Knobbles on the outta edges tend to rip off as the tyre ages.

HR 2 rolls a little better. Is great for slamming into corners. Wears well depending on compound. Go for exo’s as they have stiffer sidewalls. Good in mud.

Either are good and this is only my opinion. Go for the one that you can get for the cheapest. Schwalbe seem tilo be cheaper on the german shop sites.

robbonzo
    Free Member

what about a Minion DHR 2? Works for Graves..

scaled
    Free Member

HD front Rock razor on the rear, I’ve not had any problems in the peak with just the snakeskin evo ones.

The Super gravity ones are a bit portly at about 950+g each!

jam-bo

onza ibex.

like a High Roller but betterer.

transition1
    Free Member

Fat Albert Double Defense tyres are great on the front. Super tough sidewalls & plenty of grip!

kimbers

Forgot to say if its 26 inch then its hard to look past a chunky monkey for vfm and its a pretty good all round tyre

On the back ardent is OK for me most year round smorg prob OK too

Exo or snakeskin is fine for anything outside of the alps

lee170
    Free Member

Sorry yeah it’s for a 26 inch hardtail.

Northwind

Hans Dampf overrated imo- very rounded, not great edges (works better on a fat rim) and like a lot of schwalbes it loses a bunch of grip as soon as the tread starts to wear, which happens fast. Not a bad tyre at all but not good enough to outdo the downsides.

kimbers

Agree about the Hans dampf on my 35 mm light bicycle rim it grips and corners nicely

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Works for Graves..

You mean the exceptional BMX, 4X, DH & Enduro rider who seems to beat anyone whatever he tries?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hans dampf or highroller 2 front tyre??’ is closed to new replies.