Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Hankering for a burger…. but veggie
  • sam_underhill

If you around surrey, check out all out burgers. They are often at vegan food fayres (where you can pre-order patties for the freezer) and in a few pubs locally. Full disclosure – these are good friend friends of mine who are passionate about the environmental impact of our food and just happen to make a very tasty vegan burger.

ElVino

Iceland sell a range called No Bull which are decent, nearly the most expensive thing in the shop but still great value

kayla1
    Free Member

Another No Bull fan here and Aldi do a nice faux quarter pounder (and faux chicken burger) too. I sometimes have a spicy bean burger (Lidl or Aldi, in the freezer) instead of a faux burger, they’re just as tasty and satisfying I reckon.

Cougar

They don’t sell it as veggie because they use the same grill as other burgers, but simply ask the to wipe the grill and use fresh oil and they usually do it for you.

Back when I was a University I worked in a bowling alley which had a diner. You’re not going to just ‘wipe the grill’ and make any difference to anything. You might as well try and wipe the paint off your car.

‘Wiping the grill’ on the Close shift at the end of every night involved pints of (neat) industrial strength degreaser, a metal scraper like you’d use for wallpaper, and a lot of elbow grease. Oh, and of course, for the grill to be off. It took ages and it was grim AF.

miketually
    Free Member

As well as the burger, the key is in all the extras. Drop a slice of (vegan) cheese on top and a lid over so it melts, toast the bun, add pickles and relish, etc. (And Henderson’s Relish gets sprinkled into the frying pan for most stuff.)

kayla1
    Free Member

Re: palm oil- lots of veggie/vegan stuff still has it in. Iceland carry a range of veggie (might even be vegan) pies, pasties and fauxage rolls that don’t though and they’re all really tasty. Fauxage roll and processed peas? **** yeah, pass the tomato sauce!

oopnorth
    Free Member

Costco do boxes of Beyond Burgers in the freezer section, cheaper and even better when they have a deal on, like last week…we stocked up!

Cougar

Is ‘sustainable palm oil’ not a thing these days? They’re not all killing pandas or whatever, I thought?

kayla1
    Free Member

The thing is, right, is that I think that ‘sustainable’ palm oil just means that the plantation is in use past its first harvest, the forest has already been removed in order to make way for the plantation so now whatever’s produced on it can be called ‘sustainable’ because they’re not cutting any more forest down.

poly
    Free Member

What do the vegetarians on here recommend? Got a proper urge for a burger so looking for the best taste, texture and general satisfaction but without the meat

I’m a proper carnivore, but often judge a burger place on the quality of its veggie burger. I’ve no interest in the “fake meat” options – a good bean burger / veggie burger is almost always nicer (a bad one is ofter disappointing, but often not as disappointing as a bad real burger).

This is my go-to for at home use: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/mushroom-chickpea-burgers. I’d happily eat that rather than any shop bought meat burger. It wouldn’t pass a blindfold taste test as being a hamburger but it has good taste, good texture and satisfaction so seems to tick the criteria in the OP’s request…

Houns

Yeah there’s no such think as sustainable palm oil.

My local (amazing) vegan fast food place uses beyond meat burgers. You will genuinely be unable to tell the difference

p7eaven
    Free Member

I don’t think there is a conspicuous palm oil link to veggie burgers. Although there is palm oil in loads of other foods/animal feeds/household products –

it’s in close to 50% of the packaged products we find in supermarkets, everything from pizza, doughnuts and chocolate, to deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste and lipstick. It’s also used in animal feed

https://www.wwf.org.uk/updates/8-things-know-about-palm-oil

As with all misinfo it takes 1000 x times longer to debunk than it does to disseminate. So it normally ‘wins’ the vote/headspace.

Anyway, I took a quick (30 mins!) browse online at ingredients – veggie burgers containing palm oil yes or no. The trend is clearly no.

Linda Macs – no
    Vivera – no (hurray, because having their shawarma plant meat on pitta tonight!)
    Iceland No Bull – no
    Beyond Burger – no
    Impossible Burger – no
    Good Life Nut Burgers – no
    Moving Mountain burger – no
    Richmond Meat Free Burgers – no
    Waitrose Vegan 2 Chunky Soya Burgers – no
    ASDA Plant Based 8 Vegan Beef Style Burgers- no
    Oumph! Vegan Burger – no
    Future Farms Future Burger – no
    Naked Glory Meat Free Vegan Burgers – no
    Plant Pioneers Meat Free Burgers – no
    Birds Eye Green Cuisine Meat-Free Burgers – no
    Meatless Farm Plant-Based Burgers – no
    Sainsbury’s Love Your Veg! Indian Inspired Lentil Quarter Pounders – no
    M&S Plant Kitchen No Beef Burger – no

Naked Burgers Without the Moo – yes *sustainable
    Quorn 1/4 pounder – yes
    Tesco Plant Chef – yes
    Co-Op Gro – yes
    Waitrose Vegan Seitan burgers – yes

I’m out of time. Read the labels! Still haven’t found any with bovine ectoplasm in them tho. @paton ?

Now my sausage and beans are cold.

(These are ace by the way:)

Oggles
    Free Member

Beyond burger for me. Impossible are good too, but not managed to get one in the UK.
    Tesco Plant chef are also a close imposter, but they don’t taste quite as ‘meaty’, or have the slightly chunky texture as ground beef like Beyond (if that’s what you’re after).

Heck^ whilst having some nice products, have the most frustrating laminated film lids ever. Total pain to separate for recycling. It’s worse than when we used to eat bacon and you could never peel those trays properly from the corner.

p7eaven
    Free Member

It’s worse than when we used to eat bacon and you could never peel those trays properly from the corner.

It’s because meat-packers generally use proper 100% non-recyclable thick plastic and thick film. None of this lightweight filmy veggie nonsense (Which I just had to try twice to peel off, so sort of agree with you. But I’ll survive. Although it cost me approx 20 second so wouldn’t wish to encounter it in a Crystal Maze challenge…)

Cougar

Where’d you get those from? I’ve had other Heck sausages but not seen those before.

ThePilot
    Free Member

@p7eaven
    Like a person in orthopedic shoes, I stand corrected.
    Linda McCartney has changed its recipe as they definitely used to contain palm oil.
    I like to think the change came about after I emailed the company about the orangutan kept as a sex slave for the palm oil plantation workers.
    Probably not but the result is still the same so that’s good.
    Sorry to anyone who hasn’t heard that story. It’s not something easily forgotten. But far far more so than it was for her at least.

p7eaven
    Free Member

@cougar @ waitrose (think they changed the wrapper/name maybe, they taste identical to the Heck Meat Free Magic chipolatas I used to buy). Luckily our local vegan aisle is mahoosive, seems to grow new products every other week. I just look for suprises on offer at the end of shelf life. Satisfies my bargain hunting/anti-waste instincts win/win.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Hankering for a burger…. but veggie’ is closed to new replies.