Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Hanging bikes vertically by the wheels, any reason not to, whats best etc
  • MoreCashThanDash

The garage is getting a bit cluttered, and there are currently 5 bikes that live propped up against each other in one corner. I’m thinking of hanging them by the wheels from the wall, which won’t save me any floor space but should stop them banging into each other and getting scratched up, specially if the kids decide to start using theirs again.

Any wall mount designs to recommend or avoid? Tyres ranging from 23mm to 2.3″, none of the bikes weigh more than 30lbs.

And tips on the bolts/screws to secure them to the wall – simple single brick garage wall, so how deep do you need to go to secure them properly

Cheers

trumpton
    Free Member

I wondered if this would affect the damping in the forks.

scotroutes

It’s fine.

It doesn’t affect the forks.

Older Hope brakes didn’t like it. Any modern design should be fine.

Cheap, plastic coated screws from B&Q are all you need. Maybe fix a horizontal batten to the wall, then screw them in at 45 degrees to the vertical.

jimdubleyou

Cheap, plastic coated screws from B&Q are all you need.

If you’re going to do this get the ones that are fully coated, not just the rubber tipped ones.

I have a few of these – https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOTERBSR/jobsworth-steel-wall-mounted-bike-hanger-(fixed-hook)

Means you can stagger the heights to fit more in without worrying about battens. Seems to hold up well.

Fetchezlavache
    Free Member

I bought some Steadyrack Classic Racks – quite expensive but the work really well as they swivel sideways to allow you better access / to fold out of way of doors etc. Storing vertically has drastically reduced the space taken in the shed/fortress, I have to say.

I did read at the time some brakes didn’t like them (I didn’t have those brakes so have forgotten) but I’ve had no issues with our bikes..

mccraque

I bought one of these from Cyclestore…. It’s pretty decent! I have 5 bikes on there, top and tailed. One is a road bike. 6 MTB would be a push. It happily holds a 3.0 NobbyNic on a 35mm rim too.

RACK

I did have an issue with one Shimano XT brake….I think it needed a bleed anyway, but that sealed it’s fate. It’s subsequently been bled and hasn’t gone spongy since.

Oh…and the amount of floor space it freed up is a lot more that you even realise at first!

Tracey

We have 7 bikes hung side by side on the back wall of the garage the hooks are angled so the front wheels are in at 45% to give more room for the bars. Use the heavy duty Decathlon hooks which have been up for years. Will take a big tyre on a deep rim with no problems

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/wall-ceiling-hook-for-1-bike-id_3760125.html?iv_=__iv_p_1_g_62249986959_c_316432661956_w_pla-329016726863_n_s_d_t_v__l__t__r_1o1x_pla_y_15177021_f_online_o_383326_z_GB_i_en_j_329016726863_s__e__h_9046347_ii__vi__&gclid=CjwKCAiA45njBRBwEiwASnZT54r5npS1K9LxlNWhz4xdSoyz_DHo-1mYPu6qE9GwKcxDmmeXuTThahoCwqgQAvD_BwE

uselesshippy
    Free Member

If anything, it’s better for the forks. The oil sits on the foam rings, keeping them lubed, instead of at the bottom.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

All ours hang up like this. Only minor issues are,

My Shimano XT rear brake needs pumping 3 or 4 times to bring it back, then its fine.
    Mrs Wachowchow has older 2006 Fox Float RL forks which need bouncing a few times to bring the damping back. My Pikes are not affected.

trap6
    Free Member

I too hang 4 bikes this way,the only thing I do is attach elastic bands around brake levers on the Hope’s in-case they go spongy,which they have in the past,all good now.

Jay76
    Free Member

I’ve had a few bikes hanging from these hooks for years:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-storage-solutions/mottez-bike-storage-wheel-hook?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=-xwwarpxwrl&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:868555870|agid:49387670372|tid:pla-329166123333|crid:203456299149|nw:s|rnd:13927436097145979554|dvc:m|adp:1o3|mt:|loc:9045502&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIteOFpZW-4AIVFJ3VCh0L0gvnEAQYAyABEgKZZ_D_BwE

Never had any issues. Just use some reasonable size screws to attach them to the wall and they won’t budge.

canopy
    Free Member

it does definitely affect fox forks. on my old bike the lockout wouldnt work. i did some searching and found that its a known problem and the fix is to cycle the fork a bunch of times to sort it out.
    note: this was after being stored for a period of almost six months. so smaller times vertical may not be as bad.

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks for this ladies and gents

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I hang all my bikes using steadyracks. Only downside was if you put bikes away wet, the water didnt come out the headset properly and i ended up going through 2 before splashing out on a hope one.

killswitch
    Free Member

i hang from the rear wheel . just take out the front wheel and adds even more space .

ignore the mess i need to re-arrange due to the new acquisition on the left and the tank on the floor to the right . i got another road bike upstairs too on the tacx neo .

Tracey

This shows what I mean a bit better

llama

I thought to my self: long cable lock through the wheels and frames, good move.

Then I saw the grill

Nice

rone

Steadyrack. Best decision ever.

No matter how careful you are wheels hanging from hooks still scratch.

Load on the tyres and swing out. Well worth £50 if you have even half decent bikes.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m sure Steadyrack are great, but not cheap for 5 bikes!

fossy

Four Family bikes are hung vertically, saved a load of floor space. I have 1 ‘unique’ road bike ground anchored, but have two bikes above it horizontally. One bike on a turbo and my FS get’s popped next to the ‘ground anchored’ road bike with front wheel off and a d-lock going through. The turbo bike is right upto them all to save floor space (in the turbo – enough room to Zwift).

Do it, massive space saving. Mine are all ‘off the floor’ so it’s a little trickier to get them out of the mounts – I use similar cheap mounts that PX advertise. Got 6 for less than £20.

timba
    Free Member
    TiRed

No matter how careful you are wheels hanging from hooks still scratch.

I wrap the hooks in inner tube to prevent scratching. Works a treat.

poly
    Free Member

Anyone tried these? https://www.wiggle.co.uk/clug-roadie-bike-holder/

Weight is on the floor so I’m thinking possibly Better for my plasterboard lined wall?

timbog160

Tracey – you need to do guided tours of your garage – it never fails to give me garage envy 😂

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I have a similar problem and the garage is the main project for this year. Since we moved in it’s been a storage space while work on the house was completed. I’m not using the space well. Blake from GMBN did a video about his garage storage. It looks simple and a very STW solution.

GMBN garage project

Has anyone done this or something like it?

simon_g

I got the chunkiest wardrobe rail and brackets I could find and attached to the joists near the wall. Use big s-hooks and Velcro straps to hang bikes off it. Works with any wheel or bike size and can slide them along if I need.

stumpy01

Just make sure you are happy with how far the bikes are likely to protrude out from the wall.

I mounted 4 bikes vertically using arris rail so they were sat at 45 deg to the wall and didnt poke out as far, as they would have if they were perpendicular to the wall.

But to be honest, they still poked out too far. Put up with it for a few years, but took it down last year and still trying to get round to. Putting a double bike hnging rack high up, so i can put two bikes leant against the wall and 2 below on the floor.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Hanging bikes vertically by the wheels, any reason not to, whats best etc’ is closed to new replies.