Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hanging bikes from ceiling storage hooks
  • jobro
    Free Member

Decided to try hanging the bikes from hooks mounted on garage beams. Looks a simple cheap solution, but I had a few worries. Perhaps those who have used this system could give their advise. So….

1) Does it matter if you hang the bike by the front or the rear wheel. I just wondered if hanging from the front wheel might put some strain on the headset?
    2) Does long term storage lead to any distortion (flat spot) on the wheel?
    3) Am I really overthinking this and should just get on with it!

Thanks

scotroutes

YES!!!

hedley
    Free Member

1) Back wheel is easier to hang as the front wheel flops about when you lift it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

From the manuals I’ve bothered to read, hydraulic brakes specifically advised against storing upside down for what it’s worth.

Rtft.

All mine hang by the front wheel, admittedly rear on the ground. I have had trouble with shimano and magura brakes developing leaks at the lever when stored like this. No such trouble with formula, hope or avid.

Probably pure coincidence all the trouble was with mineral oil systems and dot ones were fine…

thomthumb
    Free Member

only issue i’ve ever had is lockout not working for 10 minutes after the bike comes off the wall. If brakes have air in it can also cause probelems or help, depending on geo/ cabling.

Bez

No, no, yes.

Kryton57

Tie an old set of road bars to the beam with a cut tube – make sure the tube is stretched when tied, and voila:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TVseVU]FullSizeRender[/url]

jobro
    Free Member

Have put them up!!

Will keep an eye on the brake issue. I had the same when I left a bike upside down overnight once.

scotroutes

My bikes hang from front/rear alternately on the wall . All Shimano braked and none with any problems. I’ve been doing this for about 8 years. We use the same system at work for our hire fleet. Again never had any brake problems.

When you consider the stresses on a headset while the bike is actually being ridden, the weight of a bike on one is nothing.

vincienup
    Free Member

My bikes usually live upside down unless they’re on station to be next bike out. I don’t find any of the brake problems mentioned unless the brakes are knackered already. I’m inclined to agree with thomthumb and think these ‘problems’ are more the result of brakes having air in them already.

jobro
    Free Member

I’m inclined to agree with thomthumb and think these ‘problems’ are more the result of brakes having air in them already.

Think you are both probably right.

Rorschach
    Free Member

4)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hanging bikes from ceiling storage hooks’ is closed to new replies.