Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hanging a couple of hard tails on a wall from both wheel rims
  • newbers
    Free Member

I want to hang a couple of hard tail 29er MTBs on a wall, and wondering if someone has tried someone similar to this. I have a couple scaffold style poles I’d install perpendicular to the wall at the same height (weight shouldn’t be an issue). Then the plan would be to hang the bikes by lifting / sliding the bikes onto poles through the spokes of the wheels having the bikes weight then resting on the top of both wheel rims (pipe lagging to protect the rims). I can’t be 100% sure if the bikes would be stable stored like this, and not likely to topple or lean. I’m wondering if anyone’s done anything similar before I butcher the wall, even better if you have pics 🙂

I realise that I could just hang them from the top tubes, but it’s a small space and because I’d put them bars to saddle, saddle to bars and the top tubes are super slopey, it’s not going to work, for the same reason I don’t have the room to hang them vertically.

Thanks in advance 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Alloy scaffie poles? Have you measured them, and the gap in your spokes?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Skyhooks

jkomo

Will storing upside down for long periods effect the oil in the forks, or the fluid in the brakes? Will they move into places they shouldn’t?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Unless they are identical i think you are going to have an alignment issue.

Also as above are you sure the spokes will actually allow the poles through especially if you wrap them.

Also have you pictured in your head how much of a ballache aligning the wheels will be while hold the bike up?

Is this a regular off and on job or longer term storage? If i was going to do it i would first test wheter it balances. Then i would use a sling through each wheel (loop of webbing) and hook those on the pole.

martymac

Scaffold pole with hooks attached will work fine, that’s what we used in one of the shops I worked in.
    Admittedly, brakes were V shaped in those days, and most forks were rigid though.

luket

If it’s 2 bikes with bars of 700mm+, then to the most sticky out bits you’ll be towards 1m out from the wall. I guess you’ve considered this but the standard one wheel on the wall hook arrangement isn’t far different in that dimension, and with just 2 bikes would take up less wall space than bikes mounted as you describe. Might leave you a free section of full height wall to do something else with (n+1?)? The necessary hooks cost buttons.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hanging a couple of hard tails on a wall from both wheel rims’ is closed to new replies.