Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hanging a bike by an extended dropper, yes or no?
  • weeksy

With my lad getting his new bike today it came with a Specialized Command dropper. Cable operated.

I usually have his bike hanging from the rafters. But that’s a static post. Not done it with a dropper.

Any thoughts?

sirromj

Plenty of other options for hanging a bike by.

weeksy

Not within the location I have available for it. It lives above a motorcycle, so can’t go vertically.

The only other potential option is the style that uses pedal/crank with the 2 wheels sitting on a little ledge type thing.

If that doesn’t work, which it may not due to location of electric meter, then I’m struggling with it and will have to come up with plan B.

onehundredthidiot

Two hooks for the bars then a rope on a hook that’ll loop the frame?

fathomer

I hang ours by the noise of the saddle in the workstand on a regular basis with no ill affect.

timbog160

Not sure about hanging by, but I’ve never had any problems picking up a bike by it’s dropper, provided it’s fully extended that is. General wisdom seems to be avoid pulling on the post if it’s compressed..

singlespeedstu

Just hang it by the seat with the post up.
    You’re not going to suck air into the cartridge with it up and against the max extension.

RichBowman

Command Posts are mechanical (rather than gas/air like reverbs etc) irc?

Might not have the same issues as others if that’s the case. I could be talking rubbish, though.

rOcKeTdOg

extended yes, compressed no

weeksy

Command Posts are mechanical (rather than gas/air like reverbs etc) irc

Yup, looks like it.

oldschool

As has been mentioned, fully extended no problem.

Tracey

The command post is held to the seat with one bolt through the collar. Make sure is tight if you are hanging by the seat nose or you may end up with the bike on the floor as they do have a tendency for the seat to tilt up and bike slide off.

nedrapier

Or an S hook from the rafter and hang it from the top tube/seat tube junction.

theotherjonv

webbing strap under the top tube.

jamj1974

Two rubber coated hooks – one each end of top tube.

philjunior
    Free Member

Fully extended shouldn’t be a problem.

As it’s mech, shouldn’t be a problem hanging by a compressed dropper, which will take less space.

andybrad

itll be fine

weeksy

As it’s mech, shouldn’t be a problem hanging by a compressed dropper, which will take less space.

Not enough clearance with it compressed as the bars hit the joists…. extended it’s fine though.

philjunior
    Free Member

Not enough clearance with it compressed as the bars hit the joists…. extended it’s fine though.

Ah fair enough, was thinking of clearance below but that’s an issue too.

onehundredthidiot

My command post takes air, so not mechanical.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Seems wrong somehow.

Long hook from the joist to the seat tube / seat stay join instead?

DezB
    Free Member

I had my bike hanging by the saddle from the joists for a while – it was fine when I used it.
    Post was a.. da da dang.. Reverb! But, I did have the wheels off the bike while it was hunged up 🙂

weeksy

My command post takes air, so not mechanical.

Mine is mechanical.

Long hook from the joist to the seat tube / seat stay join instead?

Might be tricky to get the balance point right, with the seat it kinda sits perfectly 6″ about the Kawasaki.

Tracey

All ours are mechanical, the air is to ensure it returns. Too little and its slow, too much and it gives you a right smack. They don’t tend to loose pressure, happy medium for us is 25 PSI when the post is fully extended.

Blackflag
    Free Member

People seem to be getting a bit confused over mechanical / hydraulic / air posts. This tends to refer to to actuation of the post rather than the post itself. Every post ive seen uses air.

weeksy

All ours are mechanical, the air is to ensure it returns. Too little and its slow, too much and it gives you a right smack. They don’t tend to loose pressure, happy medium for us is 25 PSI when the post is fully extended.

Interesting, ours was at 30 last night and i assumed it would be WAY soft, but it does indeed come up at a fair rate of knots…. I may lower it into the 20s then 🙂

Great info as usual… I think i may just stop posting now and PM you any thoughts i have in the world.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hanging a bike by an extended dropper, yes or no?’ is closed to new replies.