Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 190 total)
  • Handy pasteable letter/email to your MP to vote against Brexit. 5 min job.
  • el_boufador

Not sure if this will make any difference if there is a vote, but got to be worth 5 minutes of your time if you are passionate about the issue?

Write to your MP to request them to prevent the issue of article 50/ Brexit.

MPs contact details:
    linky
    Here’s a handy cut & past email wot I wrote. Put your name and address at the bottom.

Hi Fabian,
    I’m fairly confident you will have a lot of emails like this so I will keep it fairly brief.
    As I understand it, in order for the UK’s exit from the EU to be triggered under Article 50, this must be done within our own constitutional requirements.
    Citations:
    https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/…/nick-barber-tom-hickman-…/
    https://www.theguardian.com/…/stop-brexit-mp-vote-referendu…
    Form these articles, it is clear that this is a case for constitutional law i.e. parliament must authorise the Prime Minister to issue an article 50 declaration by repealing the European Communities Act..
    From the first citation, here are just a couple of valid reasons why parliament may decide not to authorise the issue of Article 50:
    “As some of the core claims made by the leave campaign unravel, Parliament might decide that the case for Brexit has not been made – or was gained under a false prospectus.”
    “Parliament could conclude that it would be contrary to the national interest to invoke Article 50 whilst it is in the dark about what the key essentials of the new relationship with the EU are going to be, and without knowing what terms the EU is going to offer.”
    I believe that there are now many very obvious reasons emerging which suggest that the Brexit vote was obtained under false prospectus, and why it would clearly not be in the national interest to trigger Brexit now or at any time in the near to medium term.
    Therefore if parliament does consider this to be a matter for the constitution, and votes on the issue I urge you to vote to keep the European Communities Act 1927 (i.e. not to repeal it). Ie. so that Article 50 may not be served and Brexit may not be triggered.
    Would it be possible for you to assure me that you have taken these points on board and to confirm that you will not vote to trigger Brexit if you do not feel it is in the national interest, as is your duty as a Member of Parliament?
    Thank you for your time.
    <NAME HERE>
    <ADDRESS HERE>
    (SO THEY KNOW YOU ARE IN THEIR WARD)

bearnecessities

Sorry, been busy. We’ve not voted out have we?

el_boufador

🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mark90
    Free Member

My MP will simply do whatever gets him in the PM seat 😐

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

My local MP is David Cameron, er…

jimc101
    Free Member

You may want to change the ‘European Communities Act 1927’ to 1972…

ton

get on with life man…ffs

rmacattack
    Free Member

the majority vote won, move on

stewartc
    Free Member

You just wont let it lie will you?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ton – Member
    get on with life man…ffs

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST
    rmacattack – Member
    the majority vote won, move on
    People are guys, just trying to make the most of it and see if there is anyway to avoid a decade + of pain and hardship for people.

It’s good to finally see people getting engaged with politics and actually taking the time to understand the implications of some of this stuff. Being flippant is all well and good but whats your great plan? Just grumble on?

gobuchul
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Let it go?
    What the pound?
    http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=USD&view=1W
    Probably a good time
    Investor confidence?
    Yep let that go
    Good trade deals – yep let them all go

As parliament needs to vote to invoke article 50 it’s not over. Don’t knock people forgiving a shit.

Also – worth a refresh on this one
    [video]https://youtu.be/fJjShkGCa4c[/video]
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/20/accuracy-is-for-snake-oil-pussies-vote-leaves-campaign-director-defies-mps

seadog101

This is the kind of thing that needs to be rammed down the throats of the Leave voters. Most voted on the understanding that things said, written on the sides of big red buses would come to fruition.

Those promises have now proved false, if not, to say the least out right lies.

People did not vote fairly and freely as the they were fed lies. Democracy has not been served.

This is not an election where, in 5 years time, we can change our minds.

el_boufador

Nope, I’m not moving on until the way forward becomes clear. Part of the reason for this mess is the lack of sensible people taking more of an interest in politics and more of a stand in what they believe in. I blame myself to some extent and am going to change my behaviour starting now.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

might want to change your behaviour to respect the views of others as equal to ones own instead of denigrating them as some how less intelligent or misinformed. You would be more tolerant

MSP

Cutting and pasting someone else’s words is just a repeat of the stupidity that got us into this mess, the simplistic clichés, the jingoist memes and the lies.

Write to your MP, tell him how you feel about this whole **** up, but for god sake use your own words.

g5604
    Free Member

You lost me at “write a letter”.

el_boufador

All I’m asking is for my mp to do his constitutional duty. If you agree with me then maybe I saved you some time and you can think of doing the same using those words or others. If you don’t agree with me that’s fine, don’t write, I respect your views.

I’m sure nobody would take someone else’s words at face value without thinking for a moment whether there was any truth in what they were saying.

Oh, hang on…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

to be honest it would have more impact if we wrote it on the side of a bus….

tmb467
    Free Member

There’s a difference between “respecting people’s views”, “letting it go”, “just moving on” and actually wanting to take part in reasoned political debate over an important issue.

There’s also a reason why referenda aren’t generally legally binding, particularly in cases where there is no clear majority.

So I’ll not be “letting it go” cos I actually feel like there is an opportunity here to both break or strengthen the country I choose to live and work in. The rise of right- wing policies and thinking is a scary thought. Your grandfathers fought against it and many lost their lives over it, so why back down now?

atlaz
    Free Member

I agree. It’s too big an issue to just say “Oh well” and move on. I’d be happier if anyone in the brexit camp had any idea whatsoever what the **** they were going to do. Without that, I don’t see a single reason to stop trying to influence the process.

hb70

This. It is unacceptable to knowingly lie as part of a demographic process. They lied. They misled millions of people.

“This is the kind of thing that needs to be rammed down the throats of the Leave voters. Most voted on the understanding that things said, written on the sides of big red buses would come to fruition.

Those promises have now proved false, if not, to say the least out right lies.

People did not vote fairly and freely as the they were fed lies. Democracy has not been served.”

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnWH_VkqlOM[/video]

MoreCashThanDash

Dear MP

Please ignore the democratic will of the majority of a poorly educated, ill informed, easily misled, disenfranchised electorate.

Maybe if you, your predecessors, and the EU had come out of your Ivory Towers and connected to the people you are supposed to represent at some point in the last 40 years you wouldn’t be so far up shit creek while Farage runs off laughing with your paddle.

Love and hugs

MoreCash

thenorthwind

so far up shit creek while Farage runs off laughing with your paddle.

😀
    That’s one of the few things about this situation that’s actually made me smile.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Please don’t misunderstand me, I’m dismayed at the result and ardently pro Europe but, arguing that we should now try to nullify the result of a democratically held referendum because we don’t like the outcome is exactly the sort of crap people didn’t like about Europe.

We lost – I personally feel that’s not just the leave camp but everybody in Europe and the wider world.
    Going forward in Europe is was about democracy, freedom, equality and defending the rights of people of all faiths creeds sexes and points of view,to now propose riding roughshod over those very things largely goes to ratify arguments about Europe being bad for the UK, being undemocratic and being unrepresentative. Not everyone who voted out believed the lies they were fed, many of them wouldn’t believe a thing a politician (tory especially) said even if it were that the sun will rise in the East tomorrow.

We as a divided (and diminished) nation need to figure out how to do this and do it as well as we can rather than trying to further alienate and disenfranchise a huge section of our populace by ignoring their opinion because we “know better”.

Play the cards you are dealt not the ones you wish you had and sure as hell don’t try and cheat and lie your way out of it to prove you’re better than the cheats and liars we blame for getting us here.

thepurist

Democracy isn’t just ticking a box, it’s an ongoing debate. Until a50 is enacted that debate is still very much alive. It’s kinda similar to Rooney scoring an unjustified penalty, then watching the team flounder as they realise they can’t win after all.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Dear MP,

Please ignore the result of the Referendum.

Peace, Love and kisses

hb70

If I bought a lovely new bike today online, and when they sent it to me it was in fact not what they advertised, I’d send it back and ask for a refund.

I’m not sure how this is different.

finephilly
    Free Member

Door. Horse. Bolted.

colournoise

jambalaya – Member
    Dear MP,
    Please ignore the result of the Referendum.
    Peace, Love and kisses

As they are legally entitled to do.

Not saying it would be a wise move politically, but it would possibly be a welcome principled one if there are any brave enough to do so.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Play the cards you are dealt not the ones you wish you had and sure as hell don’t try and cheat and lie your way out of it to prove you’re better than the cheats and liars we blame for getting us here.

Screw that, use whatever you have to get the right result. If your going to play the game of thrones… sorry wrong thread. It’s a result parliament doesn’t support, the people don’t support and the country won’t benefit from.

zanelad
    Free Member

Why do the Remainians feel that they have the right to countermand the referendum?

Petulant **** ****. The bastard me, me, me generation. My view is the most important.

If they’d won it my a very small margin I expect that they’d be happy to consider it legitimate and not worry about the feelings of those who voted leave. ****.

Suck it up losers. You lost.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

it’s an ongoing debate.

Which loses participants as it becomes apparent their voice isn’t being heard. A big part of the problem is people don’t feel they’re heard, don’t feel represented and don’t feel fairly treated.

To change that you need to get the people who voted leave to agitate for a rerun or for notice not to be served.

Being in the loosing side and pushing for that isn’t about being democratic and having a debate, it’s about being petulant,undemocratic and unilateral. It’s no different to a parent asking their child what they want for dinner then giving them cabbage anyway, it might be better for them but if you want people to learn rather than just shrug and not care you have to educate not ignore.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why do the Remainians feel that they have the right to countermand the referendum?

It’s not legally binding, it’s going to do massive harm to the country oh and people who voted for it all sound a bit like

Petulant **** ****. Suck it up losers. You lost.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Screw that, use whatever you have to get the right result. and become the very thing you complain about If your going to play the game of thrones… sorry wrong thread. It’s a result parliament doesn’t support, the minority of people don’t support and the country won’t benefit from.

History is full of people who thought the end justified the means and historically they’re exactly the people we have fought so very hard to ensure didn’t come to power in Europe.

thepurist

Party politics is 100% based on one group who aren’t in power holding those in power to account. Are all opposition parties just petulant losers who need to suck it up an move on, because they generally have less of a mandate than the remain camp. Blinkered attitudes while the leavers try to find someone brave enough to take the bullet and move on a50.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Very true, why is screwing the economy, trade, the people, the future and a united progressive Europe not the right thing. When the “best we can hope for” alternative seems to be the exact deal we have now but costing more with no control and no veto??

Does the project look like it’s well thought out, has a plan, has any way of delivering all those things it so helpfully (didn’t really) promise to gullible people?

If there was any prospect of the UK being better off more people would be with you, there isn’t – the best guess is spending 2-5 years trying to get close to where we are now. Read some of the job and prospect threads – jobs and investment is being pulled, research is going to move, big business will be gone people are emotive and hostile because their futures are being **** with for a pathetic ideological idea that delivers nothing.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m sorry, but “suck it up and move on” doesn’t cover the multitude of possibilities that might now occur.

It’s not a simple case of being “in or out”. It’s not a binary decision.

There is now a negotiation to try and balance the needs of business, generally in favour of being in the EU and having freedom of movement, with all the people who voted out.

There is nothing wrong with the 48% contacting their MP’s and making sure their argument is heard so it can be represented in the ongoing negotiations, especially since many of them (e.g. me!) will be worried about losing their jobs.

This doesn’t mean overturning the referendum.

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s been a distinct lack of convincing arguments to go ahead with Brexit since the vote.

“Suck it up.”

“Let it go.”

“Stop whining.”

But all the actual evidence points toward it being a really bad idea, as the Leave promises are revealed as fantasies and pipe dreams.

Obviously some of you Leavers will disagree, but I understand that’s easier for you than changing your mind based on facts and critical thinking.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Because the 52% voted for unicorns, and unicorns don’t exist.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 190 total)

The topic ‘Handy pasteable letter/email to your MP to vote against Brexit. 5 min job.’ is closed to new replies.