Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Hands up if you've been in this meeting
  • Klunk
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

almost every day….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the more telling question is which one are you?

somouk
    Free Member

That’s a daily occurrence for me!

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Taking the place of the ‘expert’ I wish I was invited to these meetings, currently they take place without me and I get an email detailing impossible tasks…

DezB
    Free Member

Nope. My tolerance of idiots wouldn’t survive such a meeting.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’m currently facing censure at work for reacting in almost exactly the same way as yer fella here, and apparently need ‘training’.

The kicker is, I need to find the training myself, and report back to those who complained about me when I’ve ‘actioned’ this training. And if it doesn’t meet their nebulous standards, I could face formal disciplinary action.

I wish I was joking about this, but I’m not. My missus said to me the other day: “does this mean we’ll lose the house”? So while this is humorous, you can be really f*cked badly by it.

bigblackshed

Ohhh yes, and I’m Mr Anderson frantically banging my head off the edge of table hoping for the end to come or at least unconsciousness until the “meeting” is over.

A couple of my team mates place bets with each other on how long before it will be before I pull The Face. The one that says ” I want to repeatedly punch you until you understand, you **** wit”. Apparently it does take long usually.

jock-muttley

As an electronics / electrical engineer I’d say I was the Asian chap, what tends to happen is that I spend the bulk of the time explaining the laws and fundamentals of primary school physics to the marketing and sales genii ….

Oh and I’m not as diplomatic…

The best meetings are the ones where the client bring along their expert, normally another engineer and we spend most of the meeting looking at each other with increadulous looks on our faces and talking slowly to the sales and marketing children to who think that Ohms law is merely a guideline…..

soma_rich
    Free Member

I always end up inflating balloons 🙁

martinhutch

It’s not just engineers and their yes-man line managers vs marketing idiots. Reminds me of some journalistic editorial meetings I’ve been to.

“Why can’t we run this story?”
    “Because it’s not true. This is why it doesn’t stack up…”
    “But it sounds really good in the press release. I think we should run it anyway. Everyone else will.”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As the expert the job in those meetings is to ask questions, make notes and make no comment that could be construed to be a promise. It’s very hard to bite your tongue while the Salesman spouts crap and the pointless/project manager stare at you.

Sorry to hear about your situation codybrennan, sounds like you need to find something like a sales for technical people. If the salesman has been on the sales course then he will have a plan for the meeting (BS, BS, BS, BS) also ask that you have a pre meeting with your team to raise concerns and agree on a plan/agreement on how to handle stuff.

leffeboy

yep, saw that and it made me cry. Very well observed

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also I’m taking up 80% of the seats in the room over the course of my job – all except for the design/kitten lady

Drac

Last one that even resembled that I attended I instigated a mass walk out, they then cancelled the follow up ones others were due to attended and reviewed the whole point of the meetings we attended to the point they cancelled them altogether. 😀

toppers3933
    Free Member

Used to. Eternally grateful for the fact I dont have to any more.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Mikewsmith- yes, thats exactly what I need, thanks for the tip. You’re spot on on how I should have handled it.

The gentle irony is: I identified this need myself a year ago, when taking on the job. 🙁

tpbiker
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYu_bGbZiiQ[/video]

apologies if already done

Klunk
    Free Member

not had one of those for a few years now as I’m freelance, but It would be the weekly meeting between internal producers (games developer) and external producer (games publisher).

And of course the engineer can be identified by the pen in his shirt pocket 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

That was brilliant

olddog

In my younger days I built financial models to do, amongst other things some fairly complex stuff on how to allocate money. I was forever getting questions that amounted to – can everyone get more than the average increase.

I then got promoted to the man in the suit – my brief for my expert was, lets agree beforehand that they will have no idea – agree in the meeting, then do the sensible thing outside – no-one ever really noticed.

Torminalis
    Free Member

lets agree beforehand that they will have no idea – agree in the meeting, then do the sensible thing outside

I am pretty sure that most successful projects are delivered by giving people what they want, not what they think they want.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I am pretty sure that most successful projects are delivered by giving people what they want, not what they think they want.

Yep 7 red lines all perpendicular all red, 2 blue ones and the green one and 2 transparent ones.

olddog

– Follow up meeting. Me: ” Now it’s not exactly what we discussed, but the work coming out of the US (Japan, Cambridge etc) indicates really strongly that people respond very positively to red lines… in red… They relate to the simplicity, it encourages [the thing you think you want].Look at Megacorp and their blue line in blue strategy, 75% growth over the last two periods. As for perpendicularity – here’s some ides, I’ve got alternating perpendicular – technically we call this a grid, but lets not confuse things (little laugh), or a radiant spiral – appeals to the more artistic types, but maybe two much for the general public -knowing nod to marketing person. Or simple parallel lines – direct, easy to relate to, 80s retro, goes well with red lines in red. Good we’re all agreed then. The bill is in the post.”

bruneep

Ha that is somewhat like the “middle management Managing Together” course I’m on just now just completed module 2 of 6.

I will to live is not strong just now.

totalshell

been there cody.. good luck.

never be afraid to say the bleeding obvious

ahwiles
    Free Member

that was uncomfortable.

i’ve had to spend several hours explaining ‘perpendicularity*’ to people who claim to be design engineers.

(*among other things)

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I’m the one that slams his fists on the table, declaring everyone is a moron, storms out and slams the door.

That meeting is why I don’t have a proper job.

Northwind

Our meetings aren’t that productive. We all had a 3 hour skype call last month in which the only words used were “Oh person X has disconnected” “Hello, can you hear me?” “Sorry, I can’t hear you” and variations thereof. But it turned out the purpose of the call was purely so we could say we’d had a call so that’s all good.

eemy
    Free Member

There’s also plenty of ‘experts’ – let’s use IT as an example, who will advise that your project will require a new server to deliver successfully – and then ask you to specify the server, before screwing their face up and explaining DMZs and LANs and whatever else. I DON’T CARE.

You told me I need a server, so tell me which one I need, how much it costs and then go and buy it, install it and take some responsibility for it then performing as it should. Or maybe that’s just me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ah that problem, it’s mostly to avoid turning up on site and finding that nothing works with your set-up. The words you were looking for were not I DONT CARE it’s let me find somebody to answer your important questions for you.

olddog

I miss the days when I was a whelp analyst – experts could just do a little backwards whistle through their teeth, say “it’ll be tricky, we can do it, but it’ll cost you” and clients would be so grateful…

maccruiskeen

I think my brother would empathise with Anderson. When he worked in reprographics an architect came in and asked for his drawing to be ‘reduced by 300%’. He politely had to explain that 300% was three times larger, not any amount smaller. And a long conversation ensued where he had to try an extract exactly what he wanted

reduced by 30% – ie 70% of the original size? No.
    30% of the original size? No.
    reduced by a third? reduced to a third of the size? No
    1/300th of the original size? No.

Eventually his boss joined in, siding with the customer “look, its simple, just reduce it by 300%”

Eventually he just scanned it and printed it out exactly half size handed it over and that, apparently, was exactly what was asked for.

willard

I’m sufficiently short of tolerance for people like that that I no longer get invited to meetings of this sort. It’s easier for everyone that way and prevents me from having to be a first aider on a regular basis.

imp999
    Free Member

Bigblackshed, I too possess the un-poker face that gives away my utter contempt for these supermen who navigate our great company forward “in spite of” Engineering.

Video was too good. Got my back up.

chewkw
    Free Member

Get that from time to time with zombie maggots trying to increase their career profile.

JEngledow
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Oh god no! Someone from here just sent that around ^^

jon1973
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/KWnTCfxb2M0[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Hands up if you've been in this meeting’ is closed to new replies.